Thread: UNT coach on Cajun fans (a little humor)

Default UNT coach on Cajun fans (a little humor)

Coach Dickey comments on Cajun fans in a North Texas Daily article. DD is know for his dry humor.

"We had about a two-mile ride through some wild tailgaters and they were signaling 'we're number one' but they weren't using the correct finger," Mean Green head coach Darrell Dickey said of last week's game in Lafayette. "It was a pretty intimidating environment. Midway through the third quarter, we had to stop the game because a beer bottle came out of the stands and landed right between me and the side judge. They asked 'are y'all upset about this?' and I said 'no I'm just mad it's empty' because the whole game was pretty nerve-racking."

2. Default

Darrell Dickey just won me over.

I hope y'all win this week and get a Bowl invite.

One of the NT coaches (i think it was the defensive coordinator) told me I was number one before the game when I suggested that he had large green pit stains on his shirt.

He then proceeded to go into the locker room and change into a blue shirt, so I spent the rest of the game trying to convince his players that he was a spy from Middle Tennessee.

Default Re: UNT coach on Cajun fans (a little humor)

Originally posted by MeanGreen61
    Coach Dickey comments on Cajun fans in a North Texas Daily article. DD is know for his dry humor.

"We had about a two-mile ride through some wild tailgaters and they were signaling 'we're number one' but they weren't using the correct finger," Mean Green head coach Darrell Dickey said of last week's game in Lafayette. "It was a pretty intimidating environment. Midway through the third quarter, we had to stop the game because a beer bottle came out of the stands and landed right between me and the side judge. They asked 'are y'all upset about this?' and I said 'no I'm just mad it's empty' because the whole game was pretty nerve-racking."
    That reminds me of a Monday Night Football game, don't remember the teams but it was a blowout and the home team was losing. Most of the crowd had gone and there was one guy up in a section of the stands by himself. The camera zoomed in on this guy and he flips the bird. Dandy Don Meridth says "He's just saying we're number 1" (or something like that). It was funny as hell to me.

I, too, remember reading that as one of the funniest moments in sports broadcasting. maybe in SI or something. I believe it was an Oilers fan that did it. Really funny!

The way I have always heard the story, it was an Oiler fan and good old Howard Cosell. Supposedly the Oilers were getting plastered and the TV folks were trying to entertain the bored TV viewers by scanning the home crowd in the Astrodome. Legend goes when Cosell saw the guy shooting the bird, he said something to the effect that, look at that guy, despite the Oiler's record, this fan still considers them number 1.

Of course it could be an urban legend, I personally did not see it. (I was always an Oiler hater)

I saw it, it did happen but I cannot remember the teams. I was a young boy but I remember it being Meridth, not Cosell, that made the funny remark. Meridth was always saying/doing funny stuff. Like him singing "Turn out the lights, the partys over", classic.

Default Re: UNT coach on Cajun fans (a little humor)

Originally posted by MeanGreen61

That's pretty witty stuff from DD. Sorry about the bottle. No excuse for that. Someday one of these beer bottle throwing clowns is going to hit someone on the head and do some major damage that lands them in prison.

Thread Information