Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Twist: Science vs Religion AND Science

Default New Twist: Science vs Religion AND Science

Academic threads often die a death of neglect on the sports boards, but the Chronicle has a very surprising article about the National Academy of Sciences siding with 'accommodationists,' i.e., the new religious response to the debate over evolution.

http://ultoday.com/sections/headlines

Default Re: New Twist: Science vs Religion AND Science

At bottom every man knows well enough that he is a unique being, only once on this earth; and by no extraordinary chance will such a marvelously picturesque piece of diversity in unity as he is, ever be put together a second time.
    — Frederick Nietzsche

3. Default Re: New Twist: Science vs Religion AND Science

I am constantly fascinated by the -two sides- seemingly supernatural proclivity at coming up with new terms to define segments of thought.

By now I would have thought they would have come up with a better or more encompassing term for the somewhat hijacked word called evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by reddot View Post
    _ At bottom every man knows well enough that he is a unique being, only once on this earth; and by no extraordinary chance will such a marvelously picturesque piece of diversity in unity as he is, ever be put together a second time.
    - Frederick Nietzsche _
    "Never forget that you're unique.

. just like everybody else. "

;-D

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ I am constantly fascinated by the -two sides- seemingly supernatural proclivity at coming up with new terms to define segments of thought.

By now I would have thought they would have come up with a better or more encompassing term for the somewhat hijacked word called evolution. _
    Both sides-- and FWIW, I have published a couple of evolutionary biology papers in scientific journals-- disappoint me with their intolerance, mutual disrespect, and worst of all, their lack of curiosity.

6. Default Re: New Twist: Science vs Religion AND Science

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ "Never forget that you're unique.

. just like everybody else. "

;-D _
    One of the comments referred to Winst. C-hill giving in to Russia and Stalin and that saved more parts of Europe from not going under Soviet rule----What if we had done the Patton deal and wiped his ass out---the only reason that they didn't fall to the Germans was because of US aid!!!!!!

its been my experience that science is a religion to some as much as religion is religion to others

igeaux.mobi

8. Default Re: New Twist: Science vs Religion AND Science

_ Both sides-- and FWIW, I have published a couple of evolutionary biology papers in scientific journals-- disappoint me with their intolerance, mutual disrespect, and worst of all, their lack of curiosity. _
    What! No mention of your book?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ What! No mention of your book? _
    OH AND I FORGOT, I PUBLISHED A BOOK ON SOME OF THESE THINGS!!!!!

;-D

_ Academic threads often die a death of neglect on the sports boards, but
    http://ultoday.com/sections/headlines _

Academic threads often die a death of neglect on the sports boards

http://ultoday.com/sections/headlines
    _ . _
    At other times it's even worse, of course. sometimes academic discussions are mocked with the rolleyes emoticon.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ . _
    I don't care for the slant of the author of the subject article, but I definitely enjoyed and was impressed by the fascinating commentary that followed. I'm not sure why Joe isn't satisfied with exposing his choice subjects to us and leaving it at that. Maybe he is and only tosses those anti all-athletic RP thread grenade posts just to amuse himself. Soon, Joe will become an "accomodationist" in the marriage and harmonious coexistence of athletics and academics at a southern public instituation. He hasn't completed his coursework on this subject and thus is hovering on the front porch of what he currently describes as a hypothetical concept, missing, but regretably not seeking, the key to enter the house.

There is so much to discuss, debate and learn on the subject article and I'm not someone that thinks this subject can be summed up (at least not my opinion) on a RP thread. Like I said, I was very fascinated at the discussion that followed the article and I am interested now in looking up the accomodationist movement, new atheists, and related subjects. I might even find and read Joe's book. But, this site is not where Joe is going to find personal satisfaction if he was hoping to break the all time record on longest living RP threads. We all know only helmet designs, name games and horse farms can do that.

_ At other times it's even worse, of course. sometimes academic discussions are mocked with the rolleyes emoticon. _
    Is there a better one to mock with?

_ Is there a better one to mock with? _
    Well, actually yes. I've seen a 'flying fickle finger of fate' emoticon, though alas, Turb doesn't give us that option.

8-D

_ Well, actually yes. I've seen a 'flying fickle finger of fate' emoticon, though alas, Turb doesn't give us that option.

8-D _
    Nah, that would be a little too harsh.
    Here's one for you. For your service to the UL community

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information