Thread: Beer at Athletic Venues

1. Default

split from rage page 23,340 average
    Originally posted by oldman
    good crowd but i wonder why people will tailgate outside the stadium but don't come in, i would like to know why!! it would be interesting if someone did a survey and go around ask them why they are not coming into the stadium, because there should have been a few more thousand for sure
    I'm not around to prove it but I would bet my last dollar on stadium beer doing the trick.

SLI 1921-1960

Originally posted by Sanchez
    I'm not around to prove it but I would bet my last dollar on stadium beer doing the trick.
    No beer in Cajun Field? That's not right!

I know most places don't have it, but it would make it a little more fan friendly.

I understand the Cajundome serving beer at basketball games because it’s not considered a part of campus. If baseball can serve beer on campus at the games why can't football? Isn't our baseball attendance one of the top in the country? I think sellouts would begin to be common if beer was sold at Cajun field.

UL Football

pablolasala I understand the Cajundome serving beer at basketball games because it’s not considered a part of campus. If baseball can serve beer on campus at the games why can't football? Isn't our baseball attendance one of the top in the country? I think sellouts would begin to be common if beer was sold at Cajun field.
    It is a National NCAA Rule that beer cannot be sold at College Football games.

That is incorrect. Off campus or sites not owned by the universities are not prohibited from alcohol sales. At U of Louisville, they have beer sales & at the Metrodome in Minneapolis last year as well. I brought home several souvenir cups.

Originally posted by geauxboy
    That is incorrect. Off campus or sites not owned by the universities are not prohibited from alcohol sales. At U of Louisville, they have beer sales & at the Metrodome in Minneapolis last year as well. I brought home several souvenir cups.
    Of course, it is incorrect. Ever been to a UL game in the Super Dome? Those who have can personally verify that beer is sold and in large quantities too.

I understand all of this, but how can UL baseball get away with selling beer?

Originally posted by DestinCajun
    Of course, it is incorrect. Ever been to a UL game in the Super Dome? Those who have can personally verify that beer is sold and in large quantities too.
    Sometimes it depends on the event, too. You can't buy a beer at the Rose Bowl when ucla is playing there, but the taps are open for the Rose Bowl game.

I'm actually pretty lucky - not only can I get beer at my football games, but there's a full bar at the basketball games.

If the administration wants to, beer can be sold at the games. I would suggest selling beer, but check ID's for first beer & get a wrist band. Stop selling beer at the end of the 3rd quarter. And make it a little "pricey".
    Hey, like it or not, beer is in our culture. At $5 a beer, it would be too expensive to get out of control. But as close as the games have been this season, I need a beer to take the edge off.

I may be wrong, so please correct me, but I remember when this issue was debated by the University itself and the conclusion was that the administration felt tailgating for approximately four hours or so before the game, getting liquored up, entering the game, purchasing one brewskie, and leaving the premises would expose UL for little return.

LIABILITY exposure.

There is very little pregame activities in basketball and baseball in the parking lot and the thought is to sell some beer to the "walk up" fans.

Originally posted by gorcajun

LIABILITY exposure.
    You hit on reason #1 here. The schools are exposed to being sued if something happens and it can be argued that the alcohol bought in the stadium contributed.

But what are the alternatives? Fans pound a few extras before going in to tide them over, or sneak their own supply in (maybe some more easily concealable hard liquor). It's not that there's a net reduction in the number of drunks, it's just that the school can't be blamed for what they do.

How many times have the Saints been sued for selling beer in the dome?

Default I like beer

This is all about making money for UL and if in the process fans get a little more roudy at games it's all good. Here is how you do both.
    [1] Get rid of Quintess Catering, UL can make more money without them.
    [2] Most ball parks where I have bought beer have a vendor who brings the beer to your seat, this won't work at UL. The only way beer sales would work is if they only sell beer at beer consession stands, and they stamp your hand when you buy a beer. With a permanent marker stamp on the left hand limit sales to only two small beers per customer or one large beer per customer that gets a double stamp.

14. Default Lawsuit Targets NFL (interview)

CHRISTIAN STUEBEN, VERNIS' ATTORNEY: Well, Mr. Lanzaro testified in prison at his deposition that the day of the incident, he had gone to Giants Stadium early for his own tailgate party and he consumed three cans of beer at the tailgate party.

He then walked into the stadium. At the time, stadium policy was that only two beers per customer were served. He always had two beers. He was drunk by half time. He purchased marijuana there in addition to purchasing alcohol there. He said at half time 30 or 40 men, young men were smoking marijuana. He was so drunk he wanted to smoke it, too. The second person he asked sold it to him.

Then he went to a beer concessionaire, duped the seller of the beer 10 bucks and instead of getting two beers, he got six, so he would have enough beer to drink after the cutoff time.

O'BRIEN: When I look at the list of the people, though, who are named as defendants in the suit -- Toyota, Enterprise Rental Cars, Aramark, the NFL, the Giants, the New Jersey Sports Authority, the list goes on and on and on.

Why do you think they have some kind of culpability when, at the end of the day, it was the driver who chose to drink, drank too much and was the one who caused this accident?

The rest of the story

Thread Information