Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: UL had first dibs on the word Geaux

I have a Question UL had first dibs on the word Geaux

In dialoguing with some Ark. St. fans before the game Saturday, one of them said we borrowed the word "geaux", and the name for our football stadium "The Swamp". First of all is this true, and second of all, how should I respond?

p.s.- they say we borrowed "geaux" from LSU, and "The Swamp" from Florida

I would agree on the "Swamp". The Florida Gators seem to have dibs on that one. As for Geaux Its been ours forever. The institution up I-10 took it for themselves and is on TV much more than us hence others associate it with them Geaux and Tigers just don't fit as well as Geaux and Cajuns. ya think?????????

I don't think, i completely agree!

God Bless.

sid, i apologize, i don't quite remember the year but it was a year before florida used it,we were the first and with that said WE DIDN'T BORROW ANYTHING.

I am sure someone on the site knows the dates, Turbine? I am sure when we started using "The Swamp" and "Geaux" is documented in media guides!

Just Win and dig into those pockets,
    bigger and better things ARE coming!!

DaddyCajun!!

Originally posted by DaddyCajun
    I am sure someone on the site knows the dates, Turbine? I am sure when we started using "The Swamp" and "Geaux" is documented in media guides!
    I found this on the official athletics site:
    Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajuns.com
    Cajun Field was built in time for the 1971 football season. The characteristics which helped create the name and the tradition have been there since the initial constructionThe nickname originally started because of the natural-bowl field and the proximity to the wetlands areas. It's even more fitting now, since the National Wetlands Center-a nationally renowned research facility that Louisiana-Lafayette hosts and administers-is located less than a half-mile away from Cajun Field.
    Unless there was an older park called the Swamp before Cajun Field was built, I suppose that since the one in FL is older, they must have been using the name longer. RaginCajuns.com The Swamp

Quote Originally Posted by KimoSC
    Unless there was an older park called the Swamp before Cajun Field was built, I suppose that since the one in FL is older, they must have been using the name longer.
    You might think so (it sounds reasonable, after all), but Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (aka "the Swamp") only started using that nickname during the Spurrier regime. That was after it had been used by the Cajuns.

8. Default

"GEAUX" UL #1
    Outside of Acadiana, French "sounding" terms were simply not in vogue until many years after UL made Cajun cool, by becoming the Ragin' Cajuns.

I found a UL publication (L'Acadien) with a "GEAUX CAJUNS" quote from 1976. The quote doesn't say it was the very first time ever used or seen (which is important) in fact the reference is very nonchalant in its mention of using "Geaux Cajuns" reference. It is only mentioned in connection with the new scoreboard since "Geaux Cajuns" was the first game winning phrase ever written on the new scoreboard.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Acadien
    "Geaux Cajuns" appeared on the new scoreboard as U.S.L. emerged with a 7-3 win over Cincinnati for a 2-0 record.

"The Swamp" UL#1
    For those who haven't seen the thread.
    Here is a link to a RaginPagin.com story on THE SWAMP & its Claim to the Name

Geaux is used by universities and high schools throughout South Louisiana. I don't think anyone can lay claim to it. I prefer "Allons" for UL, but it's harder to shout. The Swamp is ours, as noted by Turbine. The ESPN Gameplan announcers gave us props for that during their broadcast of the MTSU game.

Originally posted by RaginFan2

You might think so (it sounds reasonable, after all), but Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (aka "the Swamp") only started using that nickname during the Spurrier regime. That was after it had been used by the Cajuns.
    Good to know! Thanks.

This is Upsetting

Originally posted by IHateLaState
    I would agree on the "Swamp". The Florida Gators seem to have dibs on that one. As for Geaux Its been ours forever. The institution up I-10 took it for themselves and is on TV much more than us hence others associate it with them Geaux and Tigers just don't fit as well as Geaux and Cajuns. ya think?????????
    Don't know when UF first used "the swamp" but i have a media guide with Brian Mitchell in THE SWAMP. LSU never did anything original. It was GO TO HELL OLE MISS GO TO HELL, NOT GEAUX TO HELL OLE MISS GEAUX TO HELL.

12. Default Who originated "Geaux"

First of all, I find it tacky, but I'm just curious because I'm having an argument with someone and they say LSU started it, but I seem to remember seeing Geaux Cajuns much longer than LSU.

Just wondering, because LSU sure loves to add -eaux to everything that ends in the long "o" sound, which is retarted since Baton Rouge isn't Cajun and neither is a large majority of the student body.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Who originated "Geaux"

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Power
    First of all, I find it tacky, but I'm just curious because I'm having an argument with someone and they say LSU started it, but I seem to remember seeing Geaux Cajuns much longer than LSU.

Just wondering, because LSU sure loves to add -eaux to everything that ends in the long "o" sound, which is retarted since Baton Rouge isn't Cajun and neither is a large majority of the student body.
    Here is something else lsu can add "eaux" too.

Something their fans are very familiar with.

a.ssheauxls

Careful now, you don't want to get the six-named delphi poseur to rear his head now. We'll get another annoying thread about how much we make up stuff!

But, we all know the truth about Geaux

You said it all. The whole thing is retarted becuase Baton Rouge and LSU are about as cajun as clam chowder.

The atchafalaya river has always created a virtually impassable wall between Acadiana and Baton Rouge, that is until I-10 came along. I guarantee you that no one in Baton Rouge was eating gumbo and crawfish 50 years ago. And I guarantee you that no one would have understood what geaux meant. And I guarantee you that when we call then coullions they still don't know what it means.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information