Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Naming LA Tech

Default Naming LA Tech

Someone from ULM asked on the LA Tech board when LA Tech officially changed their name from Louisiana Polytechnic Institute to LA Tech University. That was in 1970. The compiled timeline was done by someone from LA Tech. I am curious as to:

1. How did LA Tech and UNO get to change their names with only Board approval, but UL had to get the courts involved?

2. LA Tech "unofficially" used LA Tech over LPI until it was officially changed (check out unofficial use of name since 1920s) according to LA Tech, yet our unofficial use of UL and Louisiana is deemed inappropriate.

Here's a compiled timeline:

1894 - The Industrial Institute and College of Louisiana (tII&CL) was established in Ruston.
    1898 - tII&CoL was changed to Louisiana Industrial Institute (LII).
    1900 - Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute (SLII) was established in Lafayette.
    1921 - LII was changed to Louisiana Polytechnic Institute (LPI).
    1921 - SLII was changed to Southwestern Louisiana Institute (SLI).
    1920s - LPI became unofficially known as Louisiana Tech (La. Tech).
    1931 - Ouachita Parish Junior College (OPJC) was established in Monroe.
    1934 - OPJC was changed to Northeast Center of Louisiana State University
    1949 - NCLSU was changed to Northeast Junior College of Louisiana State University (NJCLSU).
    1950 - NJCLSU was changed to Northeast Louisiana State College (NLSC).
    1960 - SLI was changed to the (NCLSU).University of Southwestern Louisiana (USL).
    1969 - NLSC was changed to Northeast Louisiana University (NLU).
    1970 - LPI was changed to Louisiana Tech University (La. Tech)
    1984 - USL tried to change its name to the University of Louisiana but failed as it was overturned in court a few days later.
    1999 - USL was changed to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette (ULL).
    1999 - NLU was changed to the University of Louisiana at Monroe (ULM).

It looks like ULL was established as our little southwestern satellite campus.
    We were the Louisiana Industrial Institute, and they were the Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute.
    Also, ULL falsely claims that they were established in 1898, but SLII wasn't established until 1900 with doors opening in 1901.

Check out this site: http://www.universityoflouisiana.net/

Default Re: Interesting Topic on LA Tech Board

Not this damn site again. No need for that link again unless you missed the last 2 weeks

igeaux.mobi

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Interesting Topic on LA Tech Board

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _Check out this site: http://www.universityoflouisiana.net/ _
    The less attention we pay to this @$$HOLE the better.

December, 2010 - Louisiana Tech University is demoted to Lincoln Parish Junior College and Grambling East

More not caring going on. And its funny to see the chickenhoax kissing Techie ass. I guess worrying about our name is more important to the hoax than a program who publicly stated that you were not worthy of their effort to not only not travel 50 miles to play you but would consider it a debasement of their program to allow you to play them at their facility. Man, crackwh0res have more pride than the Hoax.

_ Someone from ULM asked on the LA Tech board when LA Tech officially changed their name from Louisiana Polytechnic Institute to LA Tech University. That was in 1970. The compiled timeline was done by someone from LA Tech. I am curious as to:

1. How did LA Tech and UNO get to change their names with only Board approval, but UL had to get the courts involved?

2. LA Tech "unofficially" used LA Tech over LPI until it was officially changed (check out unofficial use of name since 1920s) according to LA Tech, yet our unofficial use of UL and Louisiana is deemed inappropriate.

Here's a compiled timeline:

1894 - The Industrial Institute and College of Louisiana (tII&CL) was established in Ruston.
    1898 - tII&CoL was changed to Louisiana Industrial Institute (LII).
    1900 - Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute (SLII) was established in Lafayette.
    1921 - LII was changed to Louisiana Polytechnic Institute (LPI).
    1921 - SLII was changed to Southwestern Louisiana Institute (SLI).
    1920s - LPI became unofficially known as Louisiana Tech (La. Tech).
    1931 - Ouachita Parish Junior College (OPJC) was established in Monroe.
    1934 - OPJC was changed to Northeast Center of Louisiana State University
    1949 - NCLSU was changed to Northeast Junior College of Louisiana State University (NJCLSU).
    1950 - NJCLSU was changed to Northeast Louisiana State College (NLSC).
    1960 - SLI was changed to the (NCLSU).University of Southwestern Louisiana (USL).
    1969 - NLSC was changed to Northeast Louisiana University (NLU).
    1970 - LPI was changed to Louisiana Tech University (La. Tech)
    1984 - USL tried to change its name to the University of Louisiana but failed as it was overturned in court a few days later.
    1999 - USL was changed to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette (ULL).
    1999 - NLU was changed to the University of Louisiana at Monroe (ULM).

It looks like UL was established as our little southwestern satellite campus.
    We were the Louisiana Industrial Institute, and they were the Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute.
    Also, ULL falsely claims that they were established in 1898, but SLII wasn't established until 1900 with doors opening in 1901.

Check out this site: http://www.universityoflouisiana.net/ _
    FWIW, some schools use their legal creation as the founding date, some use the date classes started. For instance, La Tech was founded (i.e., the Bill was passed) in 1894, but didn't open up for business until 1895.

The Bill creating UL was passed in 1898, 1st day of classes was 1901. Nothing really happened at UL in 1900, except construction began on one of the buildings. Ray insisted on celebrating the Centennial in 2000, because that was the traditional date on the seal.

Some years before that I had tried to get Ray to use 1898, and T-Joe told me he had tried to do the same thing. So when T-Joe was inaugurated, I was eager to see the program. sure enough, it suddenly said '1898'.

I am a fan of the UL-L Ragin Cajuns; Louisiana Ragin Cajuns, Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin Cajuns.

I ran track for the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Ragin Cajuns.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    _ I am a fan of the UL Ragin Cajuns; Louisiana Ragin Cajuns, Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin Cajuns.

I ran track for the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Ragin Cajuns. _
    Looks like their complaint about Louisiana-Lafayette being changed to just Louisiana is untrue.

9. Default

I am a fan of the UL-L Ragin Cajuns; Louisiana Ragin Cajuns, Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin Cajuns.

I ran track for the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Ragin Cajuns.
    People have zero attention span, sounds like you are babbling.

Just get to the point and say Louisiana.

People will remember you and where you went to school.
    igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ People have zero attention span, sounds like you are babbling.

Just get to the point and say Louisiana.

People will remember you and where you went to school.
    igeaux.mobi _
    I was trying to see if what they claimed about the forum was correct. It is not. Louisiana-Lafayette is not filtered out.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    FWIW, some schools use their legal creation as the founding date, some use the date classes started. For instance, La Tech was founded (i.e., the Bill was passed) in 1894, but didn't open up for business until 1895.

The Bill creating UL was passed in 1898, 1st day of classes was 1901. Nothing really happened at UL in 1900, except construction began on one of the buildings. Ray insisted on celebrating the Centennial in 2000, because that was the traditional date on the seal.

Some years before that I had tried to get Ray to use 1898, and T-Joe told me he had tried to do the same thing. So when T-Joe was inaugurated, I was eager to see the program. sure enough, it suddenly said '1898'.
    It is not uncommon for institutions established by the government to use the date they were established as the date they were established.

It hasn't even really kicked in yet, but if the health care system just voted on survives, it will go down as being established in 2010.
    igeaux.mobi

Interesting to whom? Bulldogs? Warhawks?

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    _ Not this damn site again. No need for that link again unless you missed the last 2 weeks

igeaux.mobi _
    I'll give him credit for at least cleaning up his academic ratings once he was called out on it.

But the site as a whole is a speck on a gnat's a$4 in terms of its importance.

_ I was trying to see if what they claimed about the forum was correct. It is not. Louisiana-Lafayette is not filtered out. _
    What is filtered is the UL vs. UL L thing. I had to type a space between the two Ls otherwise it would only read UL. Hope that makes sense.

_ What is filtered is the UL vs. UL L thing. I had to type a space between the two Ls otherwise it would only read UL. Hope that makes sense. _
    Yeah, I noticed that one, which makes since.

When talking with people, I tend to say "UL" and even "Louisiana-Lafayette", but I never say "UL L".

Looking at the website linked by the OP, it shows that Cecil Picard was one of the Senate authors of the legislation that basically put barriers to our school becoming the official University of Louisiana.

What the hell? The guy graduated from UL (SLI) and I think might have represented part of Lafayette Parish in the Senate.

The bill is too old to pull up on the legislature website (at least I'm not sure how to get it), but I would love to see the vote tally. What Lafayette legislators voted for that thing?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information