Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Naming LA Tech

1. Default Re: Interesting Topic on LA Tech Board

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    _ Yeah, I noticed that one, which makes since.

When talking with people, I tend to say "UL" and even "Louisiana-Lafayette", but I never say "UL L".

Looking at the website linked by the OP, it shows that Cecil Picard was one of the Senate authors of the legislation that basically put barriers to our school becoming the official University of Louisiana.

What the hell? The guy graduated from UL (SLI) and I think might have represented part of Lafayette Parish in the Senate.

The bill is too old to pull up on the legislature website (at least I'm not sure how to get it), but I would love to see the vote tally. What Lafayette legislators voted for that thing? _
    I remembered telling Cecil a point that he could use when pushing for the name change---I am sure that the plan was to not be called USL and get the UL name even with something for the present---yea we went too far with the added name and never expected Monroe to actually really think that they deserved the "only UL" initials----Anyway I mentioned that Texas Western had won the NCAA Basketball title in I think '66 and that nobody had a clue where the place was---compare that to UTEP--great analogy that worked but not enough---Same crap--LSU pushing down and the rest of the state pulling down--it's tough---always!!!!

Default Re: Interesting Topic on LA Tech Board

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ I remembered telling Cecil a point that he could use when pushing for the name change---I am sure that the plan was to not be called USL and get the UL name even with something for the present---yea we went too far with the added name and never expected Monroe to actually really think that they deserved the "only UL" initials----Anyway I mentioned that Texas Western had won the NCAA Basketball title in I think '66 and that nobody had a clue where the place was---compare that to UTEP--great analogy that worked but not enough---Same crap--LSU pushing down and the rest of the state pulling down--it's tough---always!!!! _

We've talked before about options we could have had that might have eliminated all of these problems, i.e. USL (University of South Louisiana) or AU (Acadiana University). We could even have gone to ULA (University of Louisiana Acadiana) and that might have helped us more with the Louisiana name. It certainly would have put us in good company with UGA and UVA.
    Nonetheless, we have what we have and can only continue our quest to capture the Louisiana and UL name.

CajunFun did a very interesting comparison with LA Tech and we appear to lead in every category. Since we are in this name struggle with ULM, what would be interesting, at least to me, is to add ULM for a 3 way comparison. That would really put UL head and shoulders above LA Tech and a full body above ULM. It is time to get the facts out about who UL really is and how we compare to the other schools in the UL System and why we are the leading university in that system.

When we originally went for the name change it was pretty funny. Remember how the Allies dumped a corpse with fake D-Day plans behind the German lines?

We leaked that Kathleen was about to introduce a bill (she was in the Leg at that time) to change the name. LSU et al. had all their forces at the Capitol.

So they didn't notice that the Supervisors (now the UL System) were meeting at UL, nor did they realize that the Supervisors, by law, were responsible for naming institutions (the Regents' duties were specifically spelled out, and I'm told the legal language said, "all other duties fall to the separate boards" and name changes were not listed among the responsibilities of the Regents).

So while our adversaries were at the Legislature, Ray got the Supervisors to change our name.

'Course after that they changed state law.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ When we originally went for the name change it was pretty funny. Remember how the Allies dumped a corpse with fake D-Day plans behind the German lines?

We leaked that Kathleen was about to introduce a bill (she was in the Leg at that time) to change the name. LSU et al. had all their forces at the Capitol.

So they didn't notice that the Supervisors (now the UL System) were meeting at UL, nor did they realize that the Supervisors, by law, were responsible for naming institutions (the Regents' duties were specifically spelled out, and I'm told the legal language said, "all other duties fall to the separate boards" and name changes were not listed among the responsibilities of the Regents).

So while our adversaries were at the Legislature, Ray got the Supervisors to change our name.

'Course after that they changed state law. _
    That's pretty straight forward. We beat them. We out smarted them. That name should have been ours by virtue of how we got it done. I equate this to one of those 80's movies situations. Where the not so rich underdog protagonist has beaten the rich kid villian at his own game. Except this timethe rich kid cheated at the end to win. I'm sure a lot of Tiger Alums and Paper Tigers say they don't care about what we call ourselvesbut they are liars. They do care. More than we do. I had a buddy of mine who just finished at UL and is going to LSU for grad school. He was always highly defensive about LSU and the way I talked about them because his father had gone there and grown up with it and all that stuff. Well, his first day there someone asked him where he was an undergrad at. He said without hesitation.UL. The guy immediately corrected him and told him, "You mean UL-Lafayette. This is Baton Rouge son, not Lafayette." From what I hear the guy got told where he could stick his Baton Rouge. I told him"I told ya so"

5. Default Re: Interesting Topic on LA Tech Board

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    It's like getting a ticket for going 54 in a 55 zone.

With their 1984 logic; Sure the law says the speed limit is 55, but it doesn't actually say "you can go 54" . . . ticketed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    _
    Looking at the website linked by the OP, it shows that Cecil Picard was one of the Senate authors of the legislation that basically put barriers to our school becoming the official University of Louisiana.

What the hell? The guy graduated from UL (SLI) and I think might have represented part of Lafayette Parish in the Senate.

The bill is too old to pull up on the legislature website (at least I'm not sure how to get it), but I would love to see the vote tally. What Lafayette legislators voted for that thing? _
    Maybe that is because there ALREADY is an offical University of Louisiana? Come on guys give it a rest .

Quote Originally Posted by mr. cajun View Post
    _ Maybe that is because there ALREADY is an offical University of Louisiana? Come on guys give it a rest . _
    ???

_ Maybe that is because there ALREADY is an offical University of Louisiana? Come on guys give it a rest . _
    i think you mean was Tulane gave up that moniker when they switched from a public to a private institution.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Interesting Topic on LA Tech Board

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan89 View Post
    _ i think you mean was Tulane gave up that moniker when they switched from a public to a private institution. _
    EXACTLY RIGHT.

OFFICALLY, their name has been changed to Tulane. There is no official University of Louisiana. There is a system of schools callled the Univeristy of Louisiana System. None of them are located in New Orleans.

see we all got alot of the same problems. The University of Mississippi wants to be called Ole Miss and they wanna have Col. Rebel as their mascot, but most folks call em mississippi and they got a stupid bear now. Guess thats why we came to a decision to call them "The School Up North" and the Rebears. If they can change their name so can we. lol

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan89 View Post
    _ i think you mean was Tulane gave up that moniker when they switched from a public to a private institution. _

I think that you guys need to study up on your history.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Enlighten us.

I think that you guys need to study up on your history.

igeaux.mobi

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Interesting Topic on LA Tech Board

_ I think that you guys need to study up on your history. _
    Nope. I read the complete history. Tulane has not been "The University of Louisiana" for well over 100 years.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ Enlighten us
    I really do not want to get into a ____ing match about this name thing. I was just stating a fact why Picard put barriers up to prevent Louisiana Lafayette becoming The University of Louisiana.

As far as Tulane . Wiki has some good info. To this day they are still The Tulane University of Louisiana .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information