Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anna Petrakova

UL Basketball Re: WNBA DRAFT: Anna Petrakova may be a 3rd Rounder

Yes, best of luck Anna, from DaddyCajun and my wife and kids as we ALL loved watching you play for the Cajuns!! Do not ever give up and you'll make the WNBA, I promise, you are ALL THAT and MORE!!

Geaux Get em,
    DaddyCajun!

Default Where is Anna?

Any update on Anna and where she might be playing?

UL Basketball Re: Where is Anna?

Check out the story posted in this weeks Times of Acadiana. It doesn't talk about her future plans, but it is a very good story about her.

4. People Blue Ice

Anna Petrakova, born in Budapest, Hungary, and schooled in Moscow, became one of the best basketball players in the history of the University of Louisiana.

For those who have never traveled to Leningrad in early spring, there’s a certain blue created when the February sky mixes with sunlight and ice drifting on the Neva.

It’s the color of Anna Petrakova’s eyes.

Blue ice.

That silvery gaze froze more than one opponent this season as the 6’3” senior led the University of Louisiana’s women’s basketball team to new heights. The Cajuns, coached by J. Kelley Hall, finished the 2004-05 campaign at 22-9, tying the school mark for the most wins ever in a single season. They were unbeaten at home, 13-0, where they have won 15 straight — the 12th longest streak among all Division 1 schools. The Cajuns won their first conference title in UL history when they claimed the Sun Belt West, won their first SBC postseason game and came within one game of winning the conference tournament and the accompanying NCAA Tournament slot.

Hall, in only his third season as head women’s basketball coach, is now second on the school’s all-time win list with 43 and was named Sun Belt Conference Co-Coach of the Year last season. Now being courted by several other universities, he is the first to say the success last season wouldn’t have happened without the 20 year-old Petrakova.

“People like Anna Petrakova don’t come along often,” says Hall. “I’ve been coaching for 23 years, and she was special. It was an honor and a privilege to coach her.”

On the court, Petrakova’s accomplishments were staggering for one so young. She became the 10th player in school history to score 1,000 points and finished her career with 1,252 points, good enough for 4th on the all-time list. She’s UL’s career leader in blocked shots and second in career rebounds, the only Cajun named to the All-Sun Belt first team and the first UL player ever named to the All-Tournament team.

“From the first day I ever worked her, I knew,” says Hall. “She’s a legitimate 6’3”, she can score down low or from 22 feet, dribble, you name it — most big kids lose mobility. Her work ethic is tremendous. Lots of ‘em want to just show up and play, and that’s not how it’s done. Real players are made through practice and hard work.”

Amazingly, Petrakova’s career numbers could have been even more impressive, but her freshman season under Nix was all but wasted. She appeared in just 15 games and played only 75 minutes in a 7-21 season that not even a future superstar could salvage.

How does a young woman born in Budapest and raised in Moscow end up in a basketball uniform in south Louisiana in the first place?

No one tells the story better than Petrakova, in a melodic Russian voice that copes surprisingly well with English syntax.

The rest of the story

By Patricia Gannon
    Times of Acadiana
    Contributing Writer

5. Default Re: Thanks Rosalynn Landes for the Kim Perrot Jersey

Did Anna Petrakova ever make it to the WNBA. If not, why is she not playing. She is the greatest Lady Cajun hoopster since Kim Perrot to play ball for the Cajuns.

Quote Originally Posted by gorcajun
    Rosalynn, thanks for honoring the one WNBA player this university has had.

However, it is SAD that a university does not have the foresight to properly honor a true star.

Yet, it is even sadder that someone has to out-of-pocket expense the memorial. This reminds me of the Yvette Girouard day of Regional Tournament games.

Default Re: Thanks Rosalynn Landes for the Kim Perrot Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDave
    Did Anna Petrakova ever make it to the WNBA. If not, why is she not playing. She is the greatest Lady Cajun hoopster since Kim Perrot to play ball for the Cajuns.

She is finishing school

7. UL Basketball Re: Thanks Rosalynn Landes for the Kim Perrot Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDave
    I recall seeing a posting by Coach Hall answering a question similar to yours. In his posting he said that Anna is still in school completing her degree. After that she will probably play professional ball in Europe and then in the WNBA. Coach Hall feels that this is the best approach since Anna is still young and has to develop physically.

8. UL Basketball Anna Petrakova Represents UL Men and Women on All-Time SunBelt Team

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The Sun Belt Conference used the occasion of its basketball media day Monday to formally announce its all-time men's and women's basketball teams, spanning the 30-year history of the league.

The teams were part of the league's continuing anniversary celebration which will include all-time teams in each of the league's 19 sports.

But don't look for a lot of University of Louisiana representation on the team. There were no men's picks from the Ragin' Cajun program, and only just-graduated Anna Petrakova was named from the UL women's program.

The league anniversary football team announced in August included players who never played in the Sun Belt, since the league did not introduce football until the 2001 season.

In contrast, the basketball teams announced Monday included only players who actually participated in Sun Belt games.

Since UL did not become part of the Sun Belt until 1991 when the league consolidated with the American South Conference, that eliminated many potential UL selections such as Dwight "Bo" Lamar (1969-73), Andrew Toney (1976-80) and Kim Perrot (1986-90), the school's top two all-time men's scorers and the all-time women's scorer.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Attached Images Attached Images    

9. Default Re: Anna Petrakova

I heard Amazonka is one of the coaches at Robert Lee's basketball camp. Am I right?

Default Re: Anna Petrakova

You are right. Anna is coaching at Robert Lee's camp this week and they are lucky to have her! She will be leaving Lafayette in July to play basketball overseas. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say she will be missed. I not only know her as an athlete but as a friend and she is awesome all the way around!

UL Basketball Re: Anna Petrakova

Quote Originally Posted by kiki92
    You are right. Anna is coaching at Robert Lee's camp this week and they are lucky to have her! She will be leaving Lafayette in July to play basketball overseas. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say she will be missed. I not only know her as an athlete but as a friend and she is awesome all the way around!
    Yes, I too have seen her at Robert Lee's Camp this Summer! She is as beautiful as ever and looks to be having fun with the little kids.

Good luck Anna overseas, as we(UL/Fans) will miss you greatly!!! I hope you do well and eventually make it in the WNBA!!

My son Brock is at the camp Anna, in the Future Pro's, if you find him and have time I know this shy kid would be thrilled to talk with you/shake your hand/get a hug!

DaddyCajun

12. UL Basketball Anna Petrakova going pro

Hey guys!

Just a little update on my career. I have recently signed a contract with a team called "Enzhe" Kazan. "Enzhe" is in the top Russian league, top three teams of which compete in Euroleague. As of right now, "Enzhe" is the last team in the league. However, if all goes well, i hope to help this team win the Euroleague. Much like the Cajuns! WNBA is not completely out of the picture, but i have to gain experience in the european league first.

Kazan is a capital of Tatarstan. People there have very similar culture to russians, so i am sure it won't be much of a transition for me. It is not far from Moscow, so my family will be there to support me.

I depart July 12th, I am excited and anxious, and i can't wait to make this next step. However the thought of leaving my beloved Lafayette frightens me. One thing i know for sure: i am going to miss this place much and i AM coming back to visit!!

Thanks to all my friends for all your support, and watch out for my name! Special thanks to K. and Meridith Hall, Ms.Christy, DaddyCajun, Ed Dugas, Jay Walker, Daryl, Bruce Brown, Dan McDonald and all the rest of great people i've met on my journey!

GO CAJUNS!!!
    Love y'all!
    Anna

Default Re: Anna Petrakova going pro

Please occasionally keep us posted on how your career is going. Best of luck to you and you will always be a Cajun.

Quote Originally Posted by amazonka13
    Hey guys!

Just a little update on my career. I have recently signed a contract with a team called "Enzhe" Kazan. "Enzhe" is in the top Russian league, top three teams of which compete in Euroleague. As of right now, "Enzhe" is the last team in the league. However, if all goes well, i hope to help this team win the Euroleague. Much like the Cajuns! WNBA is not completely out of the picture, but i have to gain experience in the european league first.

Kazan is a capital of Tatarstan. People there have very similar culture to russians, so i am sure it won't be much of a transition for me. It is not far from Moscow, so my family will be there to support me.

I depart July 12th, I am excited and anxious, and i can't wait to make this next step. However the thought of leaving my beloved Lafayette frightens me. One thing i know for sure: i am going to miss this place much and i AM coming back to visit!!

Thanks to all my friends for all your support, and watch out for my name! Special thanks to K. and Meridith Hall, Ms.Christy, DaddyCajun, Ed Dugas, Jay Walker, Daryl, Bruce Brown, Dan McDonald and all the rest of great people i've met on my journey!

GO CAJUNS!!!
    Love y'all!
    Anna

Best of luck to you, Anna! Thanks for a great Lady Cajun career. We'll always remember you, and will look forward to seeing you in the WNBA in the not-so-distant future!

Good luck Anna and thanks for your contributions to Cajun sports.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information