Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Softball Park construction

I have a Question Will it be ready as they are telling us?

Only four days left.no chair backs, no press box and no restrooms and no concessions. Saw Scott Farmer there yesterday and decided not to talk to him. I am sure he had enough on his mind. And it wasn't good I assume. I don't remember seeng a sign of the contractor. Who in the hell is the contractor of this project? I was told yesterday that they were getting a crew out of Carrencrow but they never showed up. Anybody heard about this? They had three working on the steps yesterday from Miami, Fl. and that was it.

Default Re: Will it be ready as they are telling us?

You've gotta feel bad for Farmer. We are forced by law to take the lowest bid, which often times is not the best contractor.and are also forced to accept a specific government work contract, which isn't usually favorable to quality work within an acceptable timeframe. And to make things worse, the job was delayed maybe 3 weeks while the freakin board decided if they would LET us go ahead with the project.

What a way to do business!!

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    _ Only four days left.no chair backs, no press box and no restrooms and no concessions. Saw Scott Farmer there yesterday and decided not to talk to him. I am sure he had enough on his mind. And it wasn't good I assume. I don't remember seeng a sign of the contractor. Who in the hell is the contractor of this project? I was told yesterday that they were getting a crew out of Carrencrow but they never showed up. Anybody heard about this? They had three working on the steps yesterday from Miami, Fl. and that was it.

_

"OUR FRONT PORCH IS LOOKING PRETTY GOOD – CAJUNS ARE MOVING FORWARD by Michael Lotief

I know there have been a lot of questions about the completion date of the new softball stadium. First of all, I think we all need to acknowledge, “THE NEW STADIUM IS GOING TO BE AWESOME. IT IS VERY IMPRESSIVE. WE ARE GOING TO ENJOY THIS PLACE FOR YEARS AND YEARS TO COME”!"

http://espn1420.com/coachs-corner/

4. Default Re: Will it be ready as they are telling us?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ You've gotta feel bad for Farmer. We are forced by law to take the lowest bid, which often times is not the best contractor.and are also forced to accept a specific government work contract, which isn't usually favorable to quality work within an acceptable timeframe. And to make things worse, the job was delayed maybe 3 weeks while the freakin board decided if they would LET us go ahead with the project.

igeaux.mobi _
    Suck it up --Geaux to the freeking/freezing game and support the kids----The deal will get fixed and we will have the dedication of one of the finest stadiums in the USA!!! And just think -if the contractor screwed up--maybe we get some money back or pay less or get more "STUFF" for free!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ Suck it up --Geaux to the freeking/freezing game and support the kids----The deal will get fixed and we will have the dedication of one of the finest stadiums in the USA!!! And just think -if the contractor screwed up--maybe we get some money back or pay less or get more "STUFF" for free!!!! _
    I hope their some Port o Lets out their so fans can go to the bathroom.

6. Default Re: Will it be ready as they are telling us?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun tom View Post
    _ I hope their some Port o Lets out their so fans can go to the bathroom. _
    I said---"Suck It Up"!!!!!!----LOL

_ You've gotta feel bad for Farmer. We are forced by law to take the lowest bid, which often times is not the best contractor.and are also forced to accept a specific government work contract, which isn't usually favorable to quality work within an acceptable timeframe. And to make things worse, the job was delayed maybe 3 weeks while the freakin board decided if they would LET us go ahead with the project.

igeaux.mobi _
    Why does the Athletic Department have to accept the lowest bid since they are the ones paying for the project?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun tom View Post
    Why does the Athletic Department have to accept the lowest bid since they are the ones paying for the project?

Every construction project has to be approved by the state, regardless of who pays.

igeaux.mobi

9. Default Re: Will it be ready as they are telling us?

Quote Originally Posted by nathancpike View Post
    _ Every construction project has to be approved by the state, regardless of who pays.

igeaux.mobi _

Well I understand that. Thanks for answsering the question. We, the state of Louisiana, need to make sure the low bid also comes with a history penalty. In other words we have many contractors who underbid, only to get their money on the back end with plan changes. We also had a bad contractor for the IDPF. This contractor had made major mistakes in a prior job, and was tardy to booth on that one. He was tardy on this one, I do not know if he made any major mistakes. I do not believe these two jobs are by the same guy who did the IDPF.

Lowest bid is not the best way to contract a job. The bids should include some serious point deductions for being ineffective, or late. But this is Louisiana and that is not going to change anytime soon.

All public work requires a contract time, typically set by the design professional. The Contract Agreement usually restates the construction time and references a schedule of Liquidated damages on a per day basis. The daily penalty is based on the amount of the construction contract.

I suspect that this contractor is seriously late and is into liquidated damages. Should the penalty get to a point that makes his profit zero or less, he could decide to default. (that is walk off the job). This would put the contract in the hands of the Bonding Company. Typically when this happens It takes about 6 weeks to three months for construction to start again. The bonding company has to finish the job at the contract price (plus or minus and change orders). I hope that the Bonding company for this job is strong.

All public work REQUIRES a Performance Bond (guarantee of completion of the project for the price bid) and a Payment Bond (Guarantee of payment of all bills for material, services and labor, this insures that the owner gets a lien free project).

I hope this contractor does not default on this project as that would result in the entire season without a stadium.

If there is anyone you DO NOT need to direct this to, i am surely one of them. I go no matter what.as I did last year.sitting in the outfield.

My comments were directed to circumstances out of Farmer's control.and not at the University or our softball program. Please read again.

You've gotta feel bad for Farmer. We are forced by law to take the lowest bid, which often times is not the best contractor.and are also forced to accept a specific government work contract, which isn't usually favorable to quality work within an acceptable timeframe. And to make things worse, the job was delayed maybe 3 weeks while the freakin board decided if they would LET us go ahead with the project.

igeaux.mobi

igeaux.mobi

a belated welcome to Louisiana, Scott Farmer. This is the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDawgPound View Post
    _ a belated welcome to Louisiana, Scott Farmer. This is the norm. _
    Shhhhhhh Don't tell him THAT! We don't want him leaving for greener pastures anytime soon!

me thinks he already knows about the "norm" . LOL

This is so COOL Update on softball.

Your chair backs are being installed

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information