Thread: Will new coaches continue for UL?

UL Basketball Will new coaches continue for UL?

Can some one answer this for me. With a new BBALL coach, a new Football coach, a new track coach on the way, will we be replacing the Women BBALL coach?

UL Basketball Re: Will new coaches continue for UL?

It appears to be moving in that direction (clean house) but the women are finally winning. Am I the only one wondering if Robert Lee would be better than 1-7 at this stage of the season?

Default Re: Will new coaches continue for UL?

It's not about this season; it's about the long term viability of the program.

Losing sucks, but let's give the players and Marlin a chance. Let's start freaking out when conference play starts.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBaller View Post
    _ It appears to be moving in that direction (clean house) but the women are finally winning. Am I the only one wondering if Robert Lee would be better than 1-7 at this stage of the season? _
    Per prior results, I don't think we would have seen any better record against the same competition had a coaching change not been made. It's going to stay ugly as long as we suffer through the same sort of injuries and team issues that we've seen the past few years. I had hopes that we would be closer to 4-4 at this point in the season but same players, same results. The hope is that'll change as people cycle through the program; I had just hoped the current group would have responded better to the coaching change than what we're currently seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by awadelewis View Post
    _ I had just hoped the current group would have responded better to the coaching change than what we're currently seeing. _
    That is a key point to me. The players are clearly not responding to what the coaches are wanting. The team is not playing like a team, for whatever reason and the winning won't start until they catch on, or enough new players come in an implement what the coaches want. Coach Marlin has proven he knows how to win, so I don't question that aspect. I'm still confident things will turn around eventually, maybe not even this year. We just need some patience, it will be worth the wait. (JMO)

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    _ That is a key point to me. The players are clearly not responding to what the coaches are wanting. The team is not playing like a team, for whatever reason and the winning won't start until they catch on, or enough new players come in an implement what the coaches want. Coach Marlin has proven he knows how to win, so I don't question that aspect. I'm still confident things will turn around eventually, maybe not even this year. We just need some patience, it will be worth the wait. (JMO) _
    You are right. It's a little on the ignorant side to believe a coach can come in and get a team functioning in his system in short order. He may be able to coach up the coachable members of this team by the end of this year. But, I think it is going to take a while to restore solid basketball. You spend years getting lost in the woods. it usually takes a while to get back out.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBaller View Post
    _ It appears to be moving in that direction (clean house) but the women are finally winning. Am I the only one wondering if Robert Lee would be better than 1-7 at this stage of the season? _

As was mentioned earlier, I think the longterm of the program is in much better hands to get back to the level we were at. However, it always made me laugh when people solely associate winning and losing with coaching when, in fact, it has a lot less to do with coaching as it does with many other factors of the team. A coach can't walk out on the court and play for the players and stop the game so his players can get in the right positions. Until your team begins to shoot better than 50% from the FT line as a team (which is absolutely ludicrous) and learn the art of shot selection and ball movement and defensive toughness, it doesn't really matter who is coaching. The fact of the matter is that the players have to go out on the court and get it done and until they do, they won't win anything.

Thread Information