LOUISIANA La. — The difference is light night and day.

Last spring, Peter Badawy was a virtually forgotten member of Louisiana’s golf team. He didn’t play in a single springtime tournament, and only made two appearances in the fall campaign. He averaged 76.4 strokes per round — nothing to write back home to McLean, Va., about.

That’s where he went during the summer, and apparently the now-junior found his game.

Over the Ragin’ Cajuns’ first two tournaments this year, Badawy has been the unquestioned leader of the squad. He fired a 73-71-73—217 score, two over par, in the season-opening North Texas Mean Green Invitational and came back with a one-under 70-75-67—212 score at Southern Mississippi’s Raising Cane Invitational.

He tied for third in the individual chase at North Texas and tied for seventh at the Raising Cane, after not hitting the top 40 in either of his sophomore-year events.

“I’m more relaxed out there now,” Badawy said as he prepared to lead the Cajuns into this week’s SMU Stonebridge Invitational. “I’ve grown to understand that it’s just golf . it’s not life or death, and I’m doing a lot better job of controlling my emotions.”

Cajun coach Bob Bass, whose team opens its third tournament of the fall today in Dallas, agrees with the change being mental, but said he can also see a physical change in Badawy’s play.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
dmcdonald@lafayette.gannett.com