Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will any coaches be kept in some capacity?

Default Will any coaches be kept in some capacity?

Do you think they will keep atleast 1 coach in some capacity
    for recruiting reasons? I think they should keep coach
    Mason due to his recruiting ties and coaching experience through the state of Louisiana. He is from Arkansas and played under Lou Holtz. He has Arkansas ties for recruiting and has been recruiting Louisiana hard for over 20+ years with coaching stints at Northwestern 3 times, ULM, Tulane and UL. What is your opinion if anyone at all should be kept?

2. Default Re: Will any coaches be kept in some capacity?

In my opinion this is 100% up to the next coach, he should have free reign.

I do have a loose suggestion, if a coach comes in who has never been a head coach it would only be smart to retain a "rope knower" on staff.

If he has head coaching experience he has been there done that and UL won't have to worry about him being paid to learn as he goes.

Having said that I understand you are really asking; Who of the current assistant coaches is highly thought of locally?

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Will any coaches be kept in some capacity?

Keep the Florida connection.

Obviously our perception in Louisiana is about as bad as it could be. We need a revamp.

igeaux.mobi

I would like to see us keep Gerald Broussard as the OL coach and keep Hurley Brown as the DB coach as he is an excellent recruiter out of Florida. Other than that maybe keep Kevin Fourquier as a positional defensive coach, maybe LB's. Tim Rebowe from what I been told from people who have worked in the college ranks really like him as a person and trust him as a recruiter.

Run them all

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    _ Run them all

igeaux.mobi _

I'll drink to that!!:

Quote Originally Posted by nsudemon10 View Post
    _ Do you think they will keep atleast 1 coach in some capacity
    Mason due to his recruiting ties and coaching experience through the state of Louisiana. He is from Arkansas and played under Lou Holtz. He has Arkansas ties for recruiting and has been recruiting Louisiana hard for over 20+ years with coaching stints at Northwestern 3 times, ULM, Tulane and UL. What is your opinion if anyone at all should be kept? _
    Considering how poor our WR production has been with an inability to get separation, dropped balls etc I would not be in favor of retaining him.

I don't know about Fourquier even being a LB coach because he was never a position coach here for me to be able to make a honest opinion, but I would be in favor of keeping Hudson if he would stay as the O-Line coach. When he was strictly the Oline coach, we had some very good lines and I always saw improvement, since he's become the O-Coordinator, there has been a decline in the position. If he would be willing to be moved to being the O-line coach and take a pay cut in doing so, I'd be all in favor of retaining him.

Quote Originally Posted by nsudemon10 View Post
    _ Do you think they will keep atleast 1 coach in some capacity
    Mason due to his recruiting ties and coaching experience through the state of Louisiana. He is from Arkansas and played under Lou Holtz. He has Arkansas ties for recruiting and has been recruiting Louisiana hard for over 20+ years with coaching stints at Northwestern 3 times, ULM, Tulane and UL. What is your opinion if anyone at all should be kept? _
    Looking at a numerical roster in one of this years programs I see zero players from Arkansas, so if Mason has these Arkansas ties, he is sure not utilizing them. Our receivers consistently drop passes and run some of the poorest routes I have ever seen. Him being kept would be about on par with Lustig being kept.

Quote Originally Posted by TuffGuy84 View Post
    _ I don't know about Fourquier even being a LB coach because he was never a position coach here for me to be able to make a honest opinion, but I would be in favor of keeping Hudson if he would stay as the O-Line coach. When he was strictly the Oline coach, we had some very good lines and I always saw improvement, since he's become the O-Coordinator, there has been a decline in the position. If he would be willing to be moved to being the O-line coach and take a pay cut in doing so, I'd be all in favor of retaining him. _
    I question some of his personnel decisions on the line and his refusal to pull a guy out, even if for a play or two, if he is continually screwing up. CajunT questioned him about that last year and his explanation was pretty weak at best. And then we saw the same thing again this year.

I have no problems keeping Hurley Brown. He is our main recruiting source in Florida and has been responsible for some really good players. Our DB's have been solid for the past several years and I would hope they would consider keeping him.

Louisiana Re: Will any coaches be kept in some capacity?

Hurley is my top pick for retention.

I would hope the new coach keeps 2 or 3 for continuity. Think Rebowe should be seriously considered. He is well thought of by high school coaches, and his connections in the River Parishes are strong.

Not the offensive or defensive coordinators. Only Tim Rebowe and Gerald Broussard IMO. They are solid coaches. remember tim rebowe almost left last year to take a head coaching job a nicholls. I like him and hope he stays.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

It will be very interesting to see who the next coach will retain, if any. I think it would be wise to keep a couple of key people. There are no miracle workers among the head coaches we're hiring. It is foolish to think that we are flushing a load of losers and just because new names show up, we are good to go.

In year one especially, of this new coach's UL stint, he is going to need some transition pieces to move from the known system to his system. Personally, I would retain one defensive and one offensive coach from the prior staff for year one. and make staff changes later as needed.

I agree like most people that we really need a good south Louisiana/east Texas recruiting capability. Most people will tell you that for UL football, to pluck a few gemstones from the area, the head coach has to have some exceptional recruiting style.

I believe there are two schools on recruiting for a program like UL. One, we have to have a head coach that can sit down with an exceptional local athlete and his parents and put that young man at UL. Second, the staff needs to be able to assess talent in the high probability UL recruiting zones, but are overlooked by other larger programs. Unless our new coach gets some really interesting known person as OC or DC, I can't see one of them being the big draw to the program. The HC has got to be a great deal closer on the recruiting trail.

Although I think we've done ok. Bustle was notorious for not getting many marquee athletes. and we as fans have been forced to accept "the word" that the guys we did recruit were diamonds that everyone else in the mid major ranks overlooked. Some have been. some have not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information