Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brent Pry Energizes GSU Defense in Year One

1. Default Brent Pry Energizes GSU Defense in Year One

STATESBORO - You get one chance to make a first impression. Soon after his hiring at Georgia Southern, defensive coordinator Brent Pry gathered his players for their initial get-together.

He stood and read off statistics.

-- 27.5 points a game.

-- 140.3 rushing yards a game.

-- 214.6 passing yards a game.

-- Three games giving up 40 points or more.

"I heard y'all thought you were a good defense last year. Well, these aren't the numbers of a good defense," said Pry, not mincing words.

The rest of the story
    Homes SO Clean

2. Default

Good job Brent.

I would have loved to see him keep improving UL's defense for the last 4 years.
    igeaux.mobi

Default Re: Brent Pry Energizes GSU Defense in Year One

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Good job Brent.

I would have loved to see him keep improving UL's defense for the last 4 years.
    igeaux.mobi
    Monken and Pry would have been AWESOME in Cajun Field.

UL Football Re: Brent Pry Energizes GSU Defense in Year One

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ Monken and Pry would have been AWESOME in Cajun Field. _
    Maybe Brent will push it, he would love to be back here; he has a local bride and they loved Lafayette. I noticed in the article Shaun Quinn is on their staff. He would like to come back to Lafayette also.

Maybe there will be a mutiny after they win their NC.

One thing that really helped Pry's defenses while he was here was our offense controlling the clock better. I remember some ridiculously long scoring drives of 7-10 minutes. You take touchdowns in any form, but ball control and 3-4 yards a play can really keep the ball out of the opposition's hands.

Quote Originally Posted by jcstewart View Post
    _ One thing that really helped Pry's defenses while he was here was our offense controlling the clock better. I remember some ridiculously long scoring drives of 7-10 minutes. You take touchdowns in any form, but ball control and 3-4 yards a play can really keep the ball out of the opposition's hands. _
    Bustle's switch to Fouquier as DC never did work and our defense seemed to actually worsen. We certainly scored enough points to win a number of games that were lost because our defense couldn't stop anybody.

I am really on the fence when it comes to Pry coming back to Lafayette. Do we really want to "recycle" our coaches?

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun08 View Post
    I am really on the fence when it comes to Pry coming back to Lafayette. Do we really want to "recycle" our coaches?
    Ya think Nevada is unhappy with their "recycling" of Chris Ault?

_ Ya think Nevada is unhappy with their "recycling" of Chris Ault? _
    Wasn't Chris Ault very successful hs first go-round? Pry was mediocre at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Wasn't Chris Ault very successful hs first go-round? Pry was mediocre at best.
    Best defensive coordinator we've had since Eumont in 1993. Look at the stats. Also, Eumont coached the most talented defense we've ever had here.

I don't think Pry was dealing with the same talent. Do you?

_ Best defensive coordinator we've had since Eumont in 1993. Look at the stats. Also, Eumont coached the most talented defense we've ever had here.

I don't think Pry was dealing with the same talent. Do you? _
    Pry and others were responsible for getting the talent. We didn't win when Pry was here. There is no reason to recycle the guy. Also, you are saying he deserves the job because he is the 2nd best coordinator we have had at a program that has been to 2 bowl games in 110 years (happy turbine) and won 8 games 4 times in 50 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our defenses could not turn people over, and his best year we averaged giving up 24 ppg. Somewhere in the middle of the pack in the nation. It's not like the D was the Baltimore Ravens.

12. Default Re: Brent Pry Energizes GSU Defense in Year One

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ Pry and others were responsible for getting the talent. We didn't win when Pry was here. There is no reason to recycle the guy.
    Yes we did we got to 6-5 in 2005, repeated the feat in 2006 and he was fired.

I'm not saying hire him as head coach but if he came as part of a package I would have no problem.

In fact once a head coach is hired we need to step back and let him make his own moves.

I happen to think (can't prove) there was some (fan/admin) meddling that got him fired by someone who didn't realize at the time UL was at a peak (an rising) defensively.

jmo

Pry and others were responsible for getting the talent. We didn't win when Pry was here. There is no reason to recycle the guy. Also, you are saying he deserves the job because he is the 2nd best coordinator we have had at a program that has been to 2 bowl games in 110 years (happy turbine) and won 8 games 4 times in 50 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our defenses could not turn people over, and his best year we averaged giving up 24 ppg. Somewhere in the middle of the pack in the nation. It's not like the D was the Baltimore Ravens.
    I don't have the time to look up my research for you. You do it. You might learn something.

2004-2006 (Pry's main years right before Bustle let him go)

You have to go back to 1993-1995 to find better defensive numbers and considerably more wins.

You might hate it, but it is the truth.

_ Pry and others were responsible for getting the talent. We didn't win when Pry was here. There is no reason to recycle the guy. Also, you are saying he deserves the job because he is the 2nd best coordinator we have had at a program that has been to 2 bowl games in 110 years (happy turbine) and won 8 games 4 times in 50 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our defenses could not turn people over, and his best year we averaged giving up 24 ppg. Somewhere in the middle of the pack in the nation. It's not like the D was the Baltimore Ravens. _
    We would have been to a 3rd bowl game Pry's last year if our offense could have mustered up more than 1 touchdown in a 16-7 home loss to North Texas. I agree that Pry is not the greatest D coordinator in the world, but you can't put the fact that we didn't win all on him. Bustle's decision not make a change at the quarterback position and that complete offensive meltdown for homecoming had every bit as much to with our disappointing record that year as the defense.

I did my own research. What I'm trying to point out to you, which you are not getting is...he had the second best defense for the Cajuns since 93. That is not impressive, because the Cajuns have not been good. I did all my research on the national averages. So, I don't need you saying what I can or cannot learn. I'm telling you. He never had a better than top 50% defense in the nation.

You give reasons why he should be hired back, I'm telling you they are not compelling. If he comes back will I be angry, No. Will I be excited about our defense, also no.

I'm telling you

I don't have the time to look up my research for you. You do it. You might learn something.

2004-2006 (Pry's main years right before Bustle let him go)

You have to go back to 1993-1995 to find better defensive numbers and considerably more wins.

You might hate it, but it is the truth.

igeaux.mobi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information