Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ed Zaunbrecher

Default Ed Zaunbrecher

Time to throw a new candidate into the mix. I’ve mentioned his name a few times, but this time lets take a more serious look at it.

Ed Zaunbrecher

Experience highlights:
    • LSU Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach (1984-1990) - led the high-powered LSU offense led by Tommy Hodson.
    • ULM Head Coach (1994-1998) - Took over the Warhawks (Indians) program during their first year as a member of I-A. Led them to victories over two SEC teams and a close defeat at the hands of a ranked Auburn team during his tenure.
    • Marshall Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach (1999-2001) - Ever heard of Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich?
    • Florida Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach (2002-2004) - Record setters Rex Grossman and Chris Leak
    • Purdue Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach (2006-2008) - Record setter Curtis Painter
    • Full history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Zaunbrecher
    • Didn’t coach last year, but established a QB school: http://ezqbcoach.com/

Positives:
    • You get a guy with head coaching experience at a similar-sized program (ULM).
    • You get a guy with coordinator experience at numerous big universities, so he obviously knows how to recruit talent.
    • You get an offensive mastermind, who has coached numerous high-flying, record-setting quarterbacks.
    • You get a guy that’s not going to come with the price tag of some of the other names being thrown around, leaving more money available to hire some hot-shot coordinators.
    • You get a guy who’s experience makes him well-connected in the coaching world.
    • You get a guy that is well-connected as a recruiter, particularly in the southeast portion of the country.

And the most important positive…
    • HE WANTS THE JOB. This isn’t “I heard he wants the job”, this is “he wants the job”. And he was in Scott Farmer’s office at 7AM today to put his name in the hat.

Default Re: Ed Zaunbrecher

Mais how you know?

igeaux.mobi

No thanks. I was at LSU during his years there. Me and my buddies could call 80+% of the plays pre-snap.
    Looks like a has been to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ulforlife View Post
    Mais how you know?

igeaux.mobi
    BabbForHeisman is surprisingly well connected baw.

igeaux.mobi

He is 60 years old and is looking for a pay day. He will not be highly motivated to move the program forward. I don't know how retirement is setup for coaches since they move around so much but he can get say 400,000 to 500,000 for at least 3 years. Your retirement is based on your 3 highest years so he stays 3 years and gets fired or retires he is in good shape. I don't want a coach over any older than 42. We need someone motivated not people like Zaunbrecher or Crowton who are getting on the backside of their careers. I am sure they are great guys and all but I don't feel that is the direction we should go.

I can't argue with your opinion that you want a young coach, but I can tell you that all the statements in the beginning of your post are false. He's got local roots and would be very motivated to see this program succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by allncr1966 View Post
    He is 60 years old and is looking for a pay day. He will not be highly motivated to move the program forward. I don't know how retirement is setup for coaches since they move around so much but he can get say 400,000 to 500,000 for at least 3 years. Your retirement is based on your 3 highest years so he stays 3 years and gets fired or retires he is in good shape. I don't want a coach over any older than 42. We need someone motivated not people like Zaunbrecher or Crowton who are getting on the backside of their careers. I am sure they are great guys and all but I don't feel that is the direction we should go.

igeaux.mobi

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ He is 60 years old and is looking for a pay day. He will not be highly motivated to move the program forward. I don't know how retirement is setup for coaches since they move around so much but he can get say 400,000 to 500,000 for at least 3 years. Your retirement is based on your 3 highest years so he stays 3 years and gets fired or retires he is in good shape. I don't want a coach over any older than 42. We need someone motivated not people like Zaunbrecher or Crowton who are getting on the backside of their careers. I am sure they are great guys and all but I don't feel that is the direction we should go. _
    You better talk to BOP (Jay) about calling out 60 year olds. Jay got the evil eye, a cold shoulder, and a harsh age clarification!

I don't want a coach over any older than 42. We need someone motivated not people like Zaunbrecher or Crowton who are getting on the backside of their careers.

This man is 64 years old and head coach of the #14th ranked Nevada Wolfpak.

This man is 62 years old and head coach of the 4-time defending SBC Champs

This man is 50 years old and head coach of the 24th ranked Northern Illinois Huskies

This man is 65 years old and head coach of the 25th ranked Hawaii Warriors.

.you were saying.

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _

This man is 64 years old and head coach of the #14th ranked Nevada Wolfpak.

This man is 62 years old and head coach of the 4-time defending SBC Champs

This man is 50 years old and head coach of the 24th ranked Northern Illinois Huskies

This man is 65 years old and head coach of the 25th ranked Hawaii Warriors.

.you were saying. _
    Dang. Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    _ Dang. Good post. _
    Except that Larry Blakeney is a cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ Except that Larry Blakeney is a cheat. _
    And he wasn't 62 when they hired him.

Son, Where do you get off? Blakely was totally cleared of any wrong doing several years ago. He took all the flack for Pat Dye. Auburn never changed their ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy44 View Post
    _ Son, Where do you get off? Blakely was totally cleared of any wrong doing several years ago. He took all the flack for Pat Dye. Auburn never changed their ways. _
    The NCAA may not have sanctioned him but you can find excerpts from the "60 minutes" story on the Auburn scandal on YouTube and Blakely can be heard discussing cash payoffs with the player.

Oh, he was sanctioned, but had to retract it. The bag man is usually not on the staff.

So back on topic, I assume we're all cool with Zaunbrecher as the next coach, right?

igeaux.mobi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information