Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: UL says No to community runners

1. Default UL says No to community runners

Last week, I went to the University's track, where I've been going for years to get my afternoon run in. Upon arrival, I began to warm up, and was promptly greeted by an individual telling me to please run elsewhere, and that the track is no longer opened to the public. The reason was because of some "vandalism" that occurred, and that the executive decision had been made to no longer allow the community to use the track because of it

Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone heard of such vandalism? I'm extremely bothered by this whole event. Afternoon runs are a big part of my day, and barring the community from using the track seems like a bit of an overreaction, if in fact this is true.

Default Re: UL says No to community runners

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ Last week, I went to the University's track, where I've been going for years to get my afternoon run in. Upon arrival, I began to warm up, and was promptly greeted by an individual telling me to please run elsewhere, and that the track is no longer opened to the public. The reason was because of some "vandalism" that occurred, and that the executive decision had been made to no longer allow the community to use the track because of it

Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone heard of such vandalism? I'm extremely bothered by this whole event. Afternoon runs are a big part of my day, and barring the community from using the track seems like a bit of an overreaction, if in fact this is true. _
    Can the community use Cajun Field, Tigue Moore or Lamson Park?

3. Default Re: UL says No to community runners

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ Can the community use Cajun Field, Tigue Moore or Lamson Park? _
    Has the community EVER used those facilities This is a completely different situation, and you know that.

_ Last week, I went to the University's track, where I've been going for years to get my afternoon run in. Upon arrival, I began to warm up, and was promptly greeted by an individual telling me to please run elsewhere, and that the track is no longer opened to the public. The reason was because of some "vandalism" that occurred, and that the executive decision had been made to no longer allow the community to use the track because of it

Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone heard of such vandalism? I'm extremely bothered by this whole event. Afternoon runs are a big part of my day, and barring the community from using the track seems like a bit of an overreaction, if in fact this is true. _
    Not sure if it makes sense, because I would imagine that the vandals probably came at night. But I know it is frustrating.

I just don't think that any of the community members should be allowed to use the track. It wears it down quicker and the school has to pay for it.

They have a jogging track around Bourgeois, but it is concrete.

_ Has the community EVER used those facilities This is a completely different situation, and you know that. _
    I know that the track is not a public track, period, it never has been. The coaches allowed people to utilize the track, but it was never a public track. And it is not different, it is part of the athletic complex and belongs to the university.

6. Default Re: UL says No to community runners

First of all, there are only a core group of about 15-20 people that use the truck on a regular basis. I doubt that "wears" it at any noticeably faster of a rate. Secondly, running on an outdoor track, and asking to borrow the court at the cajundome or playing a pick up football game at The Swamp is a completely different story. Give me a break.

Anyway, the majority of the people that use the track live in close proximity and contribute plenty of monetary funds (like me). Before you people start getting self righteous and saying "Oh just because you are a donor you think you should be able to use the facilities at your disposal", the answer to that is no. I'm just pointing out that I'm not some transplant that has come to this city looking to take advantage of its hospitable care takers of University facilities. I'm a long time member of the community, the University, and the group that patrons the track 6 afternoons a week.

_ First of all, there are only a core group of about 15-20 people that use the truck on a regular basis. I doubt that "wears" it at any noticeably faster of a rate. Secondly, running on an outdoor track, and asking to borrow the court at the cajundome or playing a pick up football game at The Swamp is a completely different story. Give me a break.

Anyway, the majority of the people that use the track live in close proximity and contribute plenty of monetary funds (like me). Before you people start getting self righteous and saying "Oh just because you are a donor you think you should be able to use the facilities at your disposal", the answer to that is no. I'm just pointing out that I'm not some transplant that has come to this city looking to take advantage of its hospitable care takers of University facilities. I'm a long time member of the community, the University, and the group that patrons the track 6 afternoons a week. _
    Do I think that there should be some place for people to go run in the afternoon. Yes. Do I think that it would be good to have this on campus. Yes. Do I think that it should be our NCAA D1 track complex. No.

Aside from potential liability issues with the general public using it, I just don't think that is what it is there for.

Hopefully, the school upgrades a jogging park or trail somewhere near Bourgeois park. Again, just my opinion.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: UL says No to community runners

Do you know how many times the athletic dept has been vandalised. baseball, I know 2 times, the Ragin Cajun Metallic emblems in front of each gate, and so on. I don't think that they are pentalize you tracksters but how do you say "No" to others and not you loyal fans who use it. Vandalism is very much a problem at UL.

I would suggest calling Mr. Scott Farmer or John Dugas for an explanation. Their phone lines are always open to UL Fans and Friends.

GEAUX

9. Default Re: UL says No to community runners

Quote Originally Posted by USLJim View Post
    _ Do you know how many times the athletic dept has been vandalised. baseball, I know 2 times, the Ragin Cajun Metallic emblems in front of each gate, and so on. I don't think that they are pentalize you tracksters but how do you say "No" to others and not you loyal fans who use it. Vandalism is very much a problem at UL.

I would suggest calling Mr. Scott Farmer or John Dugas for an explanation. Their phone lines are always open to UL Fans and Friends.

GEAUX _
    And Jim, its a totally valid point. It's just unfortunate that some idiots are causing the coaches and admin to second guess the public use policy of the track. Like Slappy said, there should be some place to run. I also understand that we compete on this track, which is why the majority of us take the utmost care of the facility. I've stayed back plenty of times to help clean up, move things around, and different misc jobs, just to do my part. After years of enjoying something, you can understand how something like this would be frustrating. It would be the equivalent of your local corner bar, restaurant, or mom and pop shop closing the doors. Guess we all can relate to change

Don't they have an outdoor jogging track across the street from Bougeois? Is it called Moore Park? Where the intramurals play flag football and stuff.

There are plenty of "tracks" around the complex, the intramural track, Girard Park is not very far from there.

I think what foofoo meant was the ability to run on a regulation track (400 yards). I used to do interval training on that track before I moved away. They have locked it on occasion, but this is the first I have heard of it.

To be really honest, the public should probably never have been able to use it anyway. Heck, you can't even go to a high school and use their track, so why would a university be any different.

Good for them. Glad they are protecting their property from future vandalism.

13. Default Re: UL says No to community runners

I wish this news wasn't breaking on the same weekend of the 30th annual Cajun Cup 10K Road Race.

The race where the community is asked to support Ragin Cajun Track.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I wish this news wasn't breaking on the same weekend of the 30th annual Cajun Cup 10K Road Race.

The race where the community is asked to support Ragin Cajun Track.

Apparently only 15-20 people use the track, so maybe it won't have that much of a negative impact

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ I know that the track is not a public track, period, it never has been. The coaches allowed people to utilize the track, but it was never a public track. And it is not different, it is part of the athletic complex and belongs to the university. _
    I'm pretty sure it was a public track.because there was a sign at the entrance that said the public could use it, but due to liability issues there could be no formal coaching of athletes or teams in the facility.

And Cajun Field was open to the public as well, and people were always walking the concourse and running the steps in the afternoon.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information