Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: UL says No to community runners

Default Re: UL says No to community runners

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ Last week, I went to the University's track, where I've been going for years to get my afternoon run in. Upon arrival, I began to warm up, and was promptly greeted by an individual telling me to please run elsewhere, and that the track is no longer opened to the public. The reason was because of some "vandalism" that occurred, and that the executive decision had been made to no longer allow the community to use the track because of it

Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone heard of such vandalism? I'm extremely bothered by this whole event. Afternoon runs are a big part of my day, and barring the community from using the track seems like a bit of an overreaction, if in fact this is true. _

A number of issues:

(1) Describe this "individual."

also,

(2) Do you freely play touch football at any hour of the day or night at Cajun Field or is it locked up?

(3) Do you freely play baseball or softball at any hour of the day or night at the Tigue or Lamson or are they locked up?

(4) Do you freely play basketball at any hour of the day or night at the CajunDome or is it locked up?

(5) Do you freely play football at any hour of the day or night at the indoor football practice facillity or is it locked up?

(6) Do you freely jog or play at Lafayette High or Northside track at any hour of the day or night or are they locked up?

If answers to 2-6 are "no", then why, foofoo, do you or any others think you should have unlimited access to a facility where people refuse to adhere to signs on the track restricting them to the outer-most lanes and in some cases actually MOVING those signs so they can jog/walk in lanes 1 or 2, which, like these other UL athletic facilities should be locked up in the first place?

Donors/boosters/alumni/taxpaying citizens do not have a "right" to access ANY UL athletic facilities ---especially $2-million ones that are utilized with the wrong type of footware (i.e. that which speeds up the wear and tear on the surface).

If someone at UL is finally forbidding anyone from using those facilities, I have two things to say: (1) It's about time (2) Join Red's and pay a FEE for utilizing facilities that DO wear out from use.

igeaux.mobi

The track had to be relaid a few years ago. The two inside lanes were worn down. A large part of the reason for that had to do with the fact that we could not get the joggers and walkers to understand how critical it was for them to NOT use the two inside lanes. They were so scared they might run 20 extra yards each mile.so they ran inside day after day.

Now the track is closed. Done.

It is public The public has been allowed to use it for years Ipso facto, public UL is a public University, we fund it, we patronize it, we care for it

igeaux.mobi
    It is NOT public. Weak argument.

igeaux.mobi

Yeah I went to the Cajundome the other day to play some basketball but IT WAS LOCKED! What's up with that? I couldn't believe it.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    _ Yeah I went to the Cajundome the other day to play some basketball but IT WAS LOCKED! What's up with that? I couldn't believe it.

igeaux.mobi _
    On another note, when we were using Blackham for basketball, I played basketball with the HVAC guy one night while on call for the Physical Plant. Really squeaky.

6. Default Re: UL says No to community runners

Well I'm no idiot. I know, like other runners who use it often, to run along the outter most portions. Anyway, it isn't "at any hour of any day" smart ass. There is a sign at the track, that clearly reads 'track is open to public runners from 6-8 pm. I didn't start this thread to get your opinions of why, who or when the track should be utilized by the public. I simply was asking for a conformation of the new policy, so please keep the whining to a minimum.

igeaux.mobi

There is a sign at the track, that clearly reads 'track is open to public runners from 6-8 pm. I didn't start this thread to get your opinions of why, who or when the track should be utilized by the public. I simply was asking for a conformation of the new policy, so please keep the whining to a minimum.

igeaux.mobi _
    The funny part is that if this fact had come out in the original post, this thread would not be four pages long.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    The funny part is that if this fact had come out in the original post, this thread would not be four pages long.
    Read the original post

igeaux.mobi

_ Read the original post

igeaux.mobi _
    I did. If I had known there was a sign saying that the track was intentionally open to the public, I would have stopped reading this thread about 3.5 pages ago.

_ Well I'm no idiot. I know, like other runners who use it often, to run along the outter most portions. Anyway, it isn't "at any hour of any day" smart ass. There is a sign at the track, that clearly reads 'track is open to public runners from 6-8 pm. I didn't start this thread to get your opinions of why, who or when the track should be utilized by the public. I simply was asking for a conformation of the new policy, so please keep the whining to a minimum.

igeaux.mobi _

(1) ok, it's closed because of your shoes and a vandal or two. And you never responded re: the individual who informed you.

(2) Barring the community from using the track seems like a bit of an overreaction?? Uhhh, no. It's a VERY sound business decision by someone who has a clue.

(3) If only 20-30 people use it routinely on a daily basis as you say, your shoes have contributed to its demise, and therefore, your share to resurface it will be $43,580. Where can the invoice be sent? ANd who are these other people???

(4) Just because someone has been lax in allowing ANYONE to use it is no reason to think it should be grandfathered and separated from restrictions in place for ALL other UL athletic facilities. Someone finally started caring, that is all. al la Scott Farmer??? Cudos to him if he made the decision.

(5) If he did, his appointment to the AD's post should be immediate with no waiting!!! This decision would be proof that he dots the i's and crosses the t's.

(6) Red's can accomodate your need for a place to work out. No bumming there though. It's pay for play.errr rununless you want to take full advantage of "public" parks and the cinder jogging path at Girard Park that your tax money pays for.

(7) You WERE complaining too! Not just inquiring!

(8) Boo hoo!

(9) see #1

_ Well I'm no idiot. I know, like other runners who use it often, to run along the outter most portions. Anyway, it isn't "at any hour of any day" smart ass. There is a sign at the track, that clearly reads 'track is open to public runners from 6-8 pm. I didn't start this thread to get your opinions of why, who or when the track should be utilized by the public. I simply was asking for a conformation of the new policy, so please keep the whining to a minimum.

igeaux.mobi _

Sir Fooey, I forgot to ask where any sign is/was/has ever been that says the track is open from 6-8 to the public?? Or is that just smoke being blown? (puff puff puff)

There have been signs since the days of Coach Silvey that state the track is closed to the public from 2-6 pm and that ban paid youth coaches because certain individuals were there working out/walking/jogging/coaching during team track and soccer practice periods. Additionally, athletes have to constantly advoid collisions with morons who are/were on the track and in the way of official UL team practices during those times. Therefore, Silvey put out signs hoping those people would READ the signs and not interefere with daily practices. I am amazed at the volume of illiterate peeps who still cannot read or still think they are "entitled" to be there.

I can just see someone playing touch football on the football practice fields from 3:30 to 5:00 during football or spring practice seasons and watching Coach Bustle's reaction.

Or could I?

I have come to the conclusion that Getthefacts1st likes stating a paragraph in numerical order, then referring to it again in that same paragraph.

Interesting.

igeaux.mobi

It is about time that th university closed the track to the public. Foofoo I think the University allowed the public to use it back when it was in such disrepair that it really didn't matter. I was disappointed to see thatafter the renovations were complete in 05 that they did not make it off limits to everyone.

Anyone want to guess how public the track at tch will be when complete or any other hs in the area? Why should UL be different

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by raginWaldo View Post
    _ I have come to the conclusion that Getthefacts1st likes stating a paragraph in numerical order, then referring to it again in that same paragraph.

Interesting. _

OK. You found me out. I stut-stut-stuttttttterrrrrrr when I wri-writ-writtttttttteee as wel-wel-wel-welllllllll.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information