Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: UL says No to community runners

Default Re: UL says No to community runners

Quote Originally Posted by LSUConnMan View Post
    _ I'm pretty sure it was a public track.because there was a sign at the entrance that said the public could use it, but due to liability issues there could be no formal coaching of athletes or teams in the facility.

And Cajun Field was open to the public as well, and people were always walking the concourse and running the steps in the afternoon. _
    None of the facilities are public, the athletic department failed to keep them secure and not allow people inside.

Interesting. I don't work in Lafayette anymore, so I haven't tried to use the complex since this past Spring.

During my marathon training the past couple years, I would usually park there early in the mornings, mostly to use the facility for restroom and putting clothes/water bottle on the bleachers. I don't really like running in a circle (something that was an issue during track season for me! LOL).

I can see their reasoning, though.

FWIW, for the past couple years, I would sometimes access Cajun Field to run stadiums in the morning, if the coaches were their with the gate unlocked. No one ever said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ Last week, I went to the University's track, where I've been going for years to get my afternoon run in. Upon arrival, I began to warm up, and was promptly greeted by an individual telling me to please run elsewhere, and that the track is no longer opened to the public. The reason was because of some "vandalism" that occurred, and that the executive decision had been made to no longer allow the community to use the track because of it

Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone heard of such vandalism? I'm extremely bothered by this whole event. Afternoon runs are a big part of my day, and barring the community from using the track seems like a bit of an overreaction, if in fact this is true. _

Just have patience. People who live near there can just go to the former horse farm once its turned into a park, I'm sure they'll have a long kitty litter track for the public to use. I agree with fellow poster, the track and field complex shouldn't be open for public use.

This is nothing new. It started with Silvey and passed on to the head soccer coach. It didn't bother Mahfouz as long as it didn't conflict with his teams training. He is now gone so I guess the soccer coach has got his wish and closed the facility to all.

The stadium has never been public but has historically been open to the public. I am sure that minor issues arise but I seriously doubt it had anything to do with the handful of people that use the track.

Cajun field and baseball field are not a true comparison. To me, this is a poor public relations move from a sport that has no real funding. If you build it they will come. If you run them off, they will not return.

Are you saying that the 15 people that used the track supported the track program? Surely that's not what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Benchwarmer View Post
    This is nothing new. It started with Silvey and passed on to the head soccer coach. It didn't bother Mahfouz as long as it didn't conflict with his teams training. He is now gone so I guess the soccer coach has got his wish and closed the facility to all.

The stadium has never been public but has historically been open to the public. I am sure that minor issues arise but I seriously doubt it had anything to do with the handful of people that use the track.

Cajun field and baseball field are not a true comparison. To me, this is a poor public relations move from a sport that has no real funding. If you build it they will come. If you run them off, they will not return.

igeaux.mobi

Have they hired a new head coach yet? Surely they at least have a "short list" right now?

Indoor season starts in about two months.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    Are you saying that the 15 people that used the track supported the track program? Surely that's not what you mean.

igeaux.mobi
    No. Just that it made them feel good about the university and now they are kicked out. Some schools have public hours. What would it hurt for UL to have one. Remember we are not talking about a big time facility here that must be revered as sacred.
    igeaux.mobi

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ First of all, there are only a core group of about 15-20 people that use the truck on a regular basis. I doubt that "wears" it at any noticeably faster of a rate. Secondly, running on an outdoor track, and asking to borrow the court at the cajundome or playing a pick up football game at The Swamp is a completely different story. Give me a break.

Anyway, the majority of the people that use the track live in close proximity and contribute plenty of monetary funds (like me). Before you people start getting self righteous and saying "Oh just because you are a donor you think you should be able to use the facilities at your disposal", the answer to that is no. I'm just pointing out that I'm not some transplant that has come to this city looking to take advantage of its hospitable care takers of University facilities. I'm a long time member of the community, the University, and the group that patrons the track 6 afternoons a week. _
    I don't think it ought to be open to the "public". It might be possible to go by the athletic department and request special status for use of the facility. I know you are disappointed with the change of circumstance with your prior open use of the facility. but you have to agree that we need to protect our facilities from unauthorized intruders. It isn't just the vandalism but the looming liability issues. Blame the rogue public. not the school.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ Are you saying that the 15 people that used the track supported the track program? Surely that's not what you mean.

igeaux.mobi _
    Are you saying you have to be a graduate of UL to attend UL? Surely that's not what you mean.

igeaux.mobi

What?

Quote Originally Posted by Benchwarmer View Post
    _
    Cajun field and baseball field are not a true comparison. To me, this is a poor public relations move from a sport that has no real funding. If you build it they will come. If you run them off, they will not return. _
    How is the track not the same as Cajun Field of Tigue Moore? Do you know how much money went into that track? We are not LSU who resurfaces their track every 3-4 years. It takes nearly 20 years to resurface a track that has a surface life of around 10 years.

This is not a high school track that is used only 3 months out of the year. This should not even be a 3 page thread, it is not public period.

12. Default Re: UL says No to community runners

It is public The public has been allowed to use it for years Ipso facto, public UL is a public University, we fund it, we patronize it, we care for it

igeaux.mobi

13. Default

It is public The public has been allowed to use it for years Ipso facto, public UL is a public University, we fund it, we patronize it, we care for it

igeaux.mobi
    Tell that to the Pine Leaf Boys, and they were mostly current students. igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    _ Are you saying you have to be a graduate of UL to attend UL? Surely that's not what you mean. _
    1 post and you've already confused everyone.

_ It is public The public has been allowed to use it for years Ipso facto, public UL is a public University, we fund it, we patronize it, we care for it

igeaux.mobi _
    I worked for the university and use to get calls to run people off the track late at night. It is not public. No one stopped you from using it, this doesnt mean it's public. You just weren't told to leave. I understand your frustration, but it is not open to the public.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information