Thread: What is wrong with Second half performances

I have a Question What is wrong with Second half performances

I would LOVE to hear real critiques other than the typical "< insert coach's name > Sucks"

This is blowing me away. For some reason I knew 21 would be the only points scored.

Default Re: What is wrong with Second half performances

Quote Originally Posted by SouthlandPride View Post
    _ I would LOVE to hear real critiques other than the typical "< insert coach's name > Sucks"

This is blowing me away. For some reason I knew 21 would be the only points scored. _
    We get out coached. Our OC and DC can't seem to make good halftime adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthlandPride View Post
    _ I would LOVE to hear real critiques other than the typical "< insert coach's name > Sucks"

This is blowing me away. For some reason I knew 21 would be the only points scored. _
    I wish I could tell you something other than the typical. Other coaches and teams make adjustments at the half, and we don't. It's as simple as that.

I have another take. Our players are not good enough. They play hard, but the are not fast enough or strong enough to play a 60 minute football game. Some of this falls on the coach, but the bottom line is we are outmanned.

When we have a new coach next year he will have to deal with a team that is weak at the point of attack, tackles poorly, and has the worst kick coverage in the history of football.

5. Default Re: What is wrong with Second half performances

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    _ I have another take. Our players are not good enough. They play hard, but the are not fast enough or strong enough to play a 60 minute football game. Some of this falls on the coach, but the bottom line is we are outmanned.
    If they are fast enough and strong enough early in the game it sounds like you are talking about stamina.

I am of the opinion due to the incredible middle range pool of talent out of HS there should be no drop off in talent from 1st to 4th string.

Now stamina is another thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    We get out coached. Our OC and DC can't seem to make good halftime adjustments.
    I knew this one was coming.

igeaux.mobi

Turbine.with all due respect, I think your middle statement is just plain wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    If they are fast enough and strong enough early in the game it sounds like you are talking about stamina.

I am of the opinion due to the incredible middle range pool of talent out of HS there should be no drop off in talent from 1st to 4th string.

Now stamina is another thing.

igeaux.mobi

I'd say its lack of halftime adjustments and no second half game plan.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    I'd say its lack of halftime adjustments and no second half game plan.

igeaux.mobi
    What adjustments did you not see that you yourself would have made?

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ I knew this one was coming.

igeaux.mobi _
    Of course it is going to come out. Our offense has dominated or hung with just about every opponent we have played against this season. That is a credit to the game planning done during the week by the coaching staff. But look at our 2nd half performances this season, opposing teams made adjustments to stop what we were doing and we failed to make the proper adjustments there after.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Of course it is going to come out. Our offense has dominated or hung with just about every opponent we have played against this season. That is a credit to the game planning done during the week by the coaching staff. But look at our 2nd half performances this season, opposing teams made adjustments to stop what we were doing and we failed to make the proper adjustments there after.
    Such as.?
    igeaux.mobi

I saw a offense that was outclassed the entire game. It was a jail break from play one. We caught them on a couple of blitzes early, but overall we were just beat, not outcoached.
    igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I saw a offense that was outclassed the entire game. It was a jail break from play one. We caught them on a couple of blitzes early, but overall we were just beat, not outcoached. igeaux.mobi
    That's what I saw too.
    igeaux.mobi

14. Default Re: What is wrong with Second half performances

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ Turbine.with all due respect, I think your middle statement is just plain wrong.

igeaux.mobi _
    The weakness (wrongness) in my statement is not in the talent being out there, it is in our ability to search/identify/sign it.

Only 1.4 percent of high school football players in a given year earn a scholarship at a Division I university.

I am going to use the star system since it is easily identifiable. The aq-BCS schools sign almost all the 5,4,3 star athletes, leaving what the charts often say is UL getting the 2 stars.

Well if the aq-BCS schools chew up the top tier athletes, then the pool of 2 star athletes is HUGE. I would go so far as to say a large portion of 2 star athletes never sign a scholarship.

I am saying there are enough 2 star athletes to fill your roster top to bottom and have no talent drop off between first string and 4th string. The only variable should be experience.

Recommendation: Football coaches should stop looking for the finished product and start signing pure athletes like wrestlers and soccer players. In those two sports, the number of D1 scholarships offered in a given year is even less than football, somewhere around 1/2 a percent.

There is a large untapped pool of great athletes out there; enough to where there should be zero talent drop off from 1st to 4th string.

jmo

I decided to put a few numbers behind the "we don't play well in the second half" statement.

Looking at our +/- (PF-PA) in the first half of all games this season, we are at -30. Looking at the second half, it drops to -125! That means that this season, we are 95 points WORSE in the second half than the first.

So how does that compare? Well, for starters, ULM is actually 48 points BETTER in the second half than the first. That probably explains why they are in contention for a bowl and we aren't.

Of course, numbers can be deceiving. Looking at the top of the standings, Troy is actually 72 points WORSE in the second half. Wouldn't have guessed that. I guess they just start out really really strong and hold on at the end.

Then look at the bottom of the standings. North Texas is 75 point BETTER in the second half. Go figure.

Bottom line: does it need to be addressed? Of course.

Thread Information