Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: Louisiana's Push for Tier One status

Default Re: Is it really that great to be a Tier I University?

Also, pay particular attention to #4.it amounts to around 25% of your score that is used to rank a University

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Tier 1 Status and Doctoral 1 Status Updates/Requirements?

Anyone, up on the status of either, Tier 1 and/or Doctoral 1 for UL? I know that we were a several years behind La Tech in the implementation of certain admissions criteria and they are now Tier 1, when does Louisiana become Tier 1. Also, Doctoral 1 status is something else UL has been working on for some time now, where do we stand?

Being Tier 1 Doctoral 1 would help Louisiana get into another conference sooner rather than later, what is the latest? As far as University Presidents are concerned they look for other university with like or similar scholastic status, thus the need for Tier 1 and Doctoral 1 status!

Default Re: Tier 1 Status and Doctoral 1 Status Updates/Requirements?

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Lol
    So you don't think being a Tier 1 Doctoral 1 National Research University will help UL to get into a higher conference? Just asking.

I'm have no idea. I do know there is a huge effort to upgrade all masters programs. Not sure how that helps with regards to your question. Just thought I'd add that tidbit.

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Tier 1 Status and Doctoral 1 Status Updates/Requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    I'm have no idea. I do know there is a huge effort to upgrade all masters programs. Not sure how that helps with regards to your question. Just thought I'd add that tidbit.
    That's awesome! I had heard that we were just a handful of Doctoral degrees each year away from obtaining Doctoral I status, and maybe a year or so from Tier 1 status. I at least am hoping that achieving these and any other academic status as a University will at the very least get the University of Louisiana in the early conversations among other university presidents when discussing conference realignment.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun View Post
    That's awesome! I had heard that we were just a handful of Doctoral degrees each year away from obtaining Doctoral I status, and maybe a year or so from Tier 1 status. I at least am hoping that achieving these and any other academic status as a University will at the very least get the University of Louisiana in the early conversations among other university presidents when discussing conference realignment.
    The lol was because we have been "a year or two" away from their 1 and Doc 1 ever since Savoie became president.

Doc or Turbine, anyone, up on the status of either, Tier 1 and/or Doctoral 1 for UL? I know that we were a several years behind La Tech in the implementation of certain admissions criteria and they are now Tier 1, when does Louisiana become Tier 1. Also, Doctoral 1 status is something else UL has been working on for some time now, where do we stand?

Being Tier 1 Doctoral 1 would help Louisiana get into another conference sooner rather than later, what is the latest? As far as University Presidents are concerned they look for other university with like or similar scholastic status, thus the need for Tier 1 and Doctoral 1 status!
    I have been hearing we are "This Close" since 2005. Doc I and Tier I are about as realistic of a goal here as an AAC invite.

Tier 1 status according to who?

The reason I ask is because as far as I can tell there are at least 4 institutions that declare a school to be "Tier 1," and the only one we have a reasonable shot at is the US News and World Report one. And from what I understand most experts and college presidents think USN&WR's methodology is complete bull****. Many colleges refuse to even participate in it. So at the end of the day I don't know how much it helps us with college presidents.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Tier 1 status according to who?

The reason I ask is because as far as I can tell there are at least 4 institutions that declare a school to be "Tier 1," and the only one we have a reasonable shot at is the US News and World Report one. And from what I understand most experts and college presidents think USN&WR's methodology is complete bull****. Many colleges refuse to even participate in it. So at the end of the day I don't know how much it helps us with college presidents.
    While I agree with you on the ranking matrices that USNWR users is utter bull. Our peer universities game the system to get ranked because it is highly publicized. Like it or not to get ranked in the USNWR as Tier 1 would go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    While I agree with you on the ranking matrices that USNWR users is utter bull. Our peer universities game the system to get ranked because it is highly publicized. Like it or not to get ranked in the USNWR as Tier 1 would go a long way.
    Yeah, I think it's something we could brag about to the public. That's about it.

I'm not convinced at all it will convince university presidents to invite us into their conference. The public might not know better. Presidents do.

It seems like if you look at the more accepted rankings like Carnagie we're right on par with most C-USA and AAC schools. I don't think our academic performance is keeping us out of C-USA. Of course that's not to say we shouldn't always be improving.

Anyone, up on the status of either, Tier 1 and/or Doctoral 1 for UL? I know that we were a several years behind La Tech in the implementation of certain admissions criteria and they are now Tier 1, when does Louisiana become Tier 1. Also, Doctoral 1 status is something else UL has been working on for some time now, where do we stand?

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre.l-universities

Looks like nothing much has changed . Tulane, LSU, LaTech in Tier 1 . unfortunately they do not rank those in Tier 2, so you can't really tell if we are inching closer to Tier 1. LaTech is at the bottom of Tier 1.

Default Tier 1 Universities

I attended my son's New Student Orientation at University of Houston today, and didn't realize that there were only 115 Tier One universities in the USA. Here are some schools I found interesting that are NOT Tier One:

Auburn University
    Baylor University
    Mississippi State University
    Oklahoma State University
    Rutgers University
    Texas Christian University
    University of Alabama
    Wake Forest University

I am a HUGE fan of sports, but outside of Wake Forest, I don't understand how the rest of these schools don't spend the money on academics to get to Tier 1. My lack of understanding is based upon how much money is spent on athletics. I understand that athletics is either self sufficient or close to, at most of these institutions, but the university leadership should be ashamed.

Default Re: Tier 1 Universities

Default Re: Tier 1 Universities

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    I attended my son's New Student Orientation at University of Houston today, and didn't realize that there were only 115 Tier One universities in the USA. Here are some schools I found interesting that are NOT Tier One:

Auburn University
    Baylor University
    Mississippi State University
    Oklahoma State University
    Rutgers University
    Texas Christian University
    University of Alabama
    Wake Forest University

I am a HUGE fan of sports, but outside of Wake Forest, I don't understand how the rest of these schools don't spend the money on academics to get to Tier 1. My lack of understanding is based upon how much money is spent on athletics. I understand that athletics is either self sufficient or close to, at most of these institutions, but the university leadership should be ashamed.
    Tier 1 is not worth the paper its printed on in the academic world. Carnegie classification carries all the weight

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information