Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Approval for new student unions and dorms

Default Approval for new student unions and dorms

This was posted to Dr. Savoie's blog today:
    http://louisiana.edu/blogs/president/archives/520

New dorms to be constructed in place of existing dorms along University Ave., new parking garage at current location of Credit Union, and new union building to replace buildings currently housing Parking & Transit, Student Cashier, and Student Health Services offices

2. Default Re: Approval for new student unions and dorms

Exciting.

Nice video Link

3. Alumni Re: Approval for new student unions and dorms

At first it was an issue, the new parking garage was going to extend from McKinley to Taft. The original plan was to bulldoze the band field. Thankfully Dr. Savoie saved the band field. I like the new plans. Too bad I'll be out of school by the time any of it will be built.

Default Re: Approval for new student unions and dorms

That's going to be an amazing transformation once it's completed. the improvements are way overdue, but it'll really revitalize that part of campus. Makes me want to go back to college.

Louisiana Re: Approval for new student unions and dorms

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard1280 View Post
    Makes me want to go back to college.
    There is NO building that could make me want that!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunbander View Post
    I like the new plans. Too bad I'll be out of school by the time any of it will be built. _
    At least we all hope so, Josh.lol

Wait, are they putting a new parking tower right next to the existing tower or am I just not understanding?

8. Alumni Re: Approval for new student unions and dorms

Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    _ At least we all hope so, Josh.lol _

Have some faith Brock!! I only have a couple semesters left. Hopefully.

9. Default Re: Approval for new student unions and dorms

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaints View Post
    _ Wait, are they putting a new parking tower right next to the existing tower or am I just not understanding? _

Err kinda. The new parking tower is going to be where the Credit Union and those parking lots for Angelle Hall, the Credit Union, and Hamilton Hall are. From what I understand, there would be reserved parking in that tower for the lots they took up, plus for the students in the new dorms where the twin towers were. Other than that, it will be public parking like the other tower. The new one will be a 1,000 car capacity, so it'll be bigger.

Here's the animation that shows what it'll look like when done. It's from President Savoie's blog.
    http://www.louisiana.edu/Administrat.gFlyThruFinal/

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaints View Post
    _ Wait, are they putting a new parking tower right next to the existing tower or am I just not understanding? _
    i believe it will be next to the current credit union somewhat cat-a-corner to the current parking tower

I was hoping they would implode Denbo and Bancroft like they did the old dorms where the child care center is now. But, I've been told that they plan on doing normal demolition to those buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunbander View Post
    _ Err kinda. The new parking tower is going to be where the Credit Union and those parking lots for Angelle Hall, the Credit Union, and Hamilton Hall are. From what I understand, there would be reserved parking in that tower for the lots they took up, plus for the students in the new dorms where the twin towers were. Other than that, it will be public parking like the other tower. The new one will be a 1,000 car capacity, so it'll be bigger.

Here's the animation that shows what it'll look like when done. It's from President Savoie's blog.
    http://www.louisiana.edu/Administrat.gFlyThruFinal/ _
    There will be no public parking in the new parking garage. Well, there will be a handful of spaces for the credit union but 99% will be strictly parking to accomodate the new dorms parking needs.

13. Default Re: Approval for new student unions and dorms

Quote Originally Posted by CajunStros View Post
    _ There will be no public parking in the new parking garage. Well, there will be a handful of spaces for the credit union but 99% will be strictly parking to accomodate the new dorms parking needs. _
    I read your post then I read you signature and I'm like .

"Alright! Public parking."

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ I read your post then I read you signature and I'm like .

"Alright! Public parking." _

That's the spirit Turbine! lol

This is an incredible step forward for the University. We have saved and are now ready to embark on several projects that will transform campus while the other state schools are going to be cash-strapped to say the least. Of course, this doesn't mean our academic programs won't be hurt by Louisiana's budget woes, but these facilities look first-rate and will certainly attract students. This, of course, is the biggest boon to the University. Hopefully, these projects will help transform UL from what many regard as a commuter school to a vibrant community with thousands and thousands of students living on campus. This will have a major effect on the University in that students living on campus will be more connected to the school and more likely to, ahem, support athletics. They will also have more access, or at least easier access, to academic facilities and services, which will enhance their educational experience.

I wonder if it will also spur a building boom for off campus housing. Certainly, off campus housing providers have had it relatively easy competing with our "dorms like dungeons," as the Princeton Review has rated us. It would be nice to see some of the areas around campus transformed as well as on campus housing. UL's central location within Lafayette makes it harder for us to have off-campus options like those around LSU (nice housing compexes, shopping centers and restaurants that cater exclusively to the University community), but I've always envisioned the McKinley Street Strip area redeveloped. It's a trashy area, despite the wild nights we may have all had there. I think more urban style housing options with stores, cafes, and bars intermixed would be a hit. Moreover, it is steps from campus. I think the old Lafayette Motors would be a great place to start.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information