Thread: Ragin' Cajun Blog: White beats Red in Game 1 of Fall World Series, other notes

Default Ragin' Cajun Blog: White beats Red in Game 1 of Fall World Series, other notes

My blog on White beating Red in Game 1 of UL's Fall World Series, with other notes:

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pb.Id=personaDest

2. UL Baseball Ragin' Cajuns WIN

Chase Compton drove home three runs and Taylor Hubbell allowed only one run and scattered five hits over 5 1/3 innings to lead the White team to a 6-3 win in game one of UL baseball's 16th Annual Fall World Series held Monday evening at M.L. "Tigue" Moore Field.

The best-of-seven series continues Tuesday with Game 2. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.

The White team scored three runs in the bottom of the first inning, erasing an early deficit after an RBI single by Jordan Poirrier gave the Red team a 1-0 lead.

Greg Fontenot reached on a leadoff single, then with one out Matt Goulas was hit by a pitch from Red starter T.J. Geith. After Goulas' at bat, Mike Petello reached on catcher's interference to load the bases.

Geith hit Tyler Frederick to force home Fontenot with the tying run. Michael Strentz gave the White team the lead with a sacrifice fly to right field which scored Goulas.

After a balk moved runners to second and third base, the first of Compton's three RBI came on an infield single upping the lead to 3-1.

Hubbell and Geith pitched scoreless frames from the second through fifth innings.

A passed ball and fielding error in the top of the sixth inning led to the Red team scoring to cut the deficit to 3-2. The White team responded with a run off an RBI single by Tyler Girouard in the bottom half of the inning.

Reliever Blake Wascom retired the Red team in order in the top of the seventh then in the bottom of the inning Compton delivered the blow that put the White team ahead comfortably.

Back-to-back, one-out singles from Petello and Frederick gave the White team traffic on the basepaths. Red reliever Daniel Cloteaux induced an infield pop up from Strentz for the second out. He wasn't able to retire Compton, though, as he ripped a bases-clearing double into the left field corner that increased White's lead to 6-2.

Wascom worked around a pair of errors in the eight, allowing only one run to score and pitched a scoreless ninth to wrap up the save and victory for the White team.

The rest of the story

UL SI

Default Re: Ragin' Cajun Blog: White beats Red in Game 1 of Fall World Series, other not

There is a lot of competition in camp this year. It seems like there will be plenty of depth, especially in the outfield. My very early prediction would be Fuselier-Petello-Goulas out there with guys like Bowman, Marvel, Francia and maybe a couple others getting some time as well. Petello swings it hard and he runs well. Had a couple of hard hit balls and even a bunt single.

Good to see Trask get a few hits and make some aggressive plays at third. With T-Fred playing first last night, it will be interesting to see how the corner infield shakes out. Catcher also seems to be up for grabs with Adam Todd and Strentz playing last night. Strentz made a couple of mistakes but he'll come along. He was an excellent athlete at the HS level.

Compton was DH I believe and had a nice well hit ball to deep left corner. DH spot will be open depending on if Poirrier needs to play the field or not.

It will be interesting to see who emerges as the leader(s) of this team. Satriano, Fontenot, or any of the other seniors, of course, as we have a solid group of them.

UL Baseball Re: Ragin' Cajun Blog: White beats Red in Game 1 of Fall World Series, other not

I'm pulling for Trask this year, a 6'3" target at first base would be good to have, if he hits the ball like he can he would be a option at first or third. Competition is a great thing, Bourque had a tough game last night, I think it was his nerves, I've seen him during inner squad (day and night games) about 6 times this fall and he can play, he'll be fine. I think Greg will be ok, he may sit out tonight's game (sore ankle) but be ready for Thursday, we need him to stay healthy remember he hit over .320 last year. I really like the Petello kid but were going to have to protect him in the line up, they will pitch around him. As far as a catcher I like the Sinclar kid, a joco transfer from W. Monroe / W. Nevada. Either way you look at it there's quality competition at all positions. I enjoyed the first night, looking forward to watching Satriatino tonight vs. Bulliard.

Default Re: Ragin' Cajun Blog: White beats Red in Game 1 of Fall World Series, other not

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    _ There is a lot of competition in camp this year. It seems like there will be plenty of depth, especially in the outfield. My very early prediction would be Fuselier-Petello-Goulas out there with guys like Bowman, Marvel, Francia and maybe a couple others getting some time as well. Petello swings it hard and he runs well. Had a couple of hard hit balls and even a bunt single.

Good to see Trask get a few hits and make some aggressive plays at third. With T-Fred playing first last night, it will be interesting to see how the corner infield shakes out. Catcher also seems to be up for grabs with Adam Todd and Strentz playing last night. Strentz made a couple of mistakes but he'll come along. He was an excellent athlete at the HS level.

Compton was DH I believe and had a nice well hit ball to deep left corner. DH spot will be open depending on if Poirrier needs to play the field or not.

It will be interesting to see who emerges as the leader(s) of this team. Satriano, Fontenot, or any of the other seniors, of course, as we have a solid group of them. _
    Just FYI, Compton is a first baseman by trade. He'll primarily DH in the fall as he's still rehabbing from offseason surgery. But he'll be in the mix at first base, I think, come spring.

Petello will hit behind Porrier in the lineup. They'll need someone to step up and be a threat behind Petello.

Thread Information