Thread: Paper Chase

Research Paper Chase

Is UL a student-centered university or a teacher-centered university? I watched a movie called the Paper Chase Tuesday and was thinking about it when it hit me that the the movie scope emphasized teaching. My definition of a student-centered university is one that more than less emphasizes learning by the students. In the Paper Chase it seems the goal was to weed out students rather than helping them grow. With selective admissions is UL and the State of Louisiana heading towards the Paper Chase model?

You have legitimate logic and concern about UL becoming a teacher-centered university. However, I think the basic issue is student quality. When UL raises the standard for admission, it does a couple of things. 1.- It weeds out the students who aren't as serious about their education. 2.- It sends the message to the weeded out students about the level of commitment that they'll need to develop if they wanna succeed in college and specifically at UL. 3.- It improves UL's overall image by way of improving our student body.

God Bless.

Thanks for the imput, I like the way you word it. Is this the best model for student body growth, or is that a false carrot in this day and age.

I am pretty sure that we are not trying to weed out the students as oppossed to having them better prepared to persue a college degree. It does neither the school nor the student any good to have them flunk out after two semesters because they were not prepared to enter into this university in the first place.

The Paper Chase is about Law school.
    Just about every law school is trying to "weed" out unprepared students.

I am in my final year at loyola, and we started my Ev Division with over 80 students. we have less than 40 today.

"I am in my final year at loyola"

Oh no, are they brainwashing you too?! My cousin went there and all he ever does is try to get guys off of death row; he works with Sister Prejean of Dead Man Walking Fame.

naw. I'm gonna be the guy on the back of the phone book.

Too many loans to pay back to worry about saving lives.
    Let 'em fry!

Thread Information