Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cajuns Raging

1. UL Football Cajuns Raging

The size of the crowd that attended UL's 54-28 loss to No. 22 Oklahoma State last Friday at Cajun Field — the announced attendance was 25,881 — definitely caught the attention of coach Rickey Bustle.

So did the intensity that the Ragin' Cajuns showed in the loss, especially when they rallied from an early 10-0 deficit to take a 21-17 halftime lead. They eventually lost after being outscored 37-7 in the second half.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott
    jparrott@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: Cajuns Raging

I have long said that with just a slight reason to get excited, this town can consistently put 25-30k people on a consistent basis... Which is why firing Bustle can make economic sense... the theory has long been we cant afford $400-500k for a coach. Sure we can... 10k more people times 5 games = 50k times $15 = $750k incremental revenue... thats INCREMENTAL.. NEW dollars. No extra cost... I don't know what Bustle makes but if its $250k the extra cost is $150 to $250k.... A new coach PAYS FOR HIMSELF if its the right guy..

Do something to get this community excited.... this is a sleeping giant... awaken it

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    _ I have long said that with just a slight reason to get excited, this town can consistently put 25-30k people on a consistent basis... Which is why firing Bustle can make economic sense... the theory has long been we cant afford $400-500k for a coach. Sure we can... 10k more people times 5 games = 50k times $15 = $750k incremental revenue... thats INCREMENTAL.. NEW dollars. No extra cost... I don't know what Bustle makes but if its $250k the extra cost is $150 to $250k.... A new coach PAYS FOR HIMSELF if its the right guy..

Do something to get this community excited.... this is a sleeping giant... awaken it _
    add in 10k people worth of beer and overpriced concessions

So now it's bustle's fault that we don't average 25-30,000 a game even though we've never come close to that number in the past?

Just hire a new coach and watch attendance skyrocket? I don't think so.

There's a lot more to the attendance game than who is coaching the team.

So far this week we have blamed bustle for ACL and ankle injuries and now we're blaming him for attendance even though we've set tons of attendance records. I can't wait to hear what's next.
    igeaux.mobi

5. Default Re: Cajuns Raging

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    _ So now it's bustle's fault that we don't average 25-30,000 a game even though we've never come close to that number in the past?
    You are mostly right. The average in 1977 was 25,224

Here is a LINK

_ So now it's bustle's fault that we don't average 25-30,000 a game even though we've never come close to that number in the past?

So far this week we have blamed bustle for ACL and ankle injuries and now we're blaming him for attendance even though we've set tons of attendance records. I can't wait to hear what's next.
    igeaux.mobi _
    I never saw anyone blame bustle for ACL or ankle injuries. I did start the thread you are referring to though. And if that's what you thought i meant then read again.

And i think they meant that a new coach and winning team would be able to generate a lot of excitement around here and that this town is capable of being a UL town who will CONSISTENTLY bring in 25-30k. That's what i got out of it.

igeaux.mobi _
    actually before everyone got fed up with the same ole crap, bustle had the cajuns leading the conference in attendance for 3 or 4 years averaging in the 20k range, but now that people are getting tired of it we are starting to drop, so yeah a new coach with new excitement will get our attendance back up just like bustle did before everyone strated giving up on him. And you know sometimes things in life are "just that simple"

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan32 View Post
    I never saw anyone blame bustle for ACL or ankle injuries. I did start the thread you are referring to though. And if that's what you thought i meant then read again.

And i think they meant that a new coach and winning team would be able to generate a lot of excitement around here and that this town is capable of being a UL town who will CONSISTENTLY bring in 25-30k. That's what i got out of it.
    I don't know if it was you but there were people implying in the thread that the coaches were to blame for the injuries.

On your second point a new coach alone won't generate much excitement. You can't hire a new coach and expect the attendance to go higher than it has ever been before. If you think we will ever average 25-30k when we are in a conference with teams like FAU or ULM I think you are nuts. When I say it's not that simple that's what I mean. It has to do with how the team is doing, what teams are coming to play, the weather, marketing, etc.

A new coach (that manages to win) is only a small piece of the puzzle. And keep in mind that teams under new coaches almost always get worse before they get better. If they get better

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    actually before everyone got fed up with the same ole crap, bustle had the cajuns leading the conference in attendance for 3 or 4 years averaging in the 20k range, but now that people are getting tired of it we are starting to drop, so yeah a new coach with new excitement will get our attendance back up just like bustle did before everyone strated giving up on him. And you know sometimes things in life are "just that simple"
    You're dead wrong. Bustle got attendance up because he won football games not because he was a new coach.

igeaux.mobi

One of you has to change your avatar. I cant keep looking to see who's saying what. Its like a multiple personality schizophrenic conversation

You're dead wrong. Bustle got attendance up because he won football games not because he was a new coach.
    You mean the same six win total that we have had 4 of the last 5 years that people are tired of? Damn thought I mentioned that. We won 6 games last year including a big12 opponent, didn't matter probably gonna win 6 this year won't matter, I agree winning does but at some point you lose support and bustle has reached that point

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan32 View Post

A couple of people did at least imply that it was Bustle's fault. Lack of stretching, weight work.

igeaux.mobi

13. Default Re: Cajuns Raging

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ A couple of people did at least imply that it was Bustle's fault. Lack of stretching, weight work.

igeaux.mobi _
    Oops, tha would be me.

I relayed a conversation I had with a track coach, he didn't mean to imply it was Bustles fault.

If anything the onus was more on strength/conditioning coach.

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ You are mostly right. The average in 1977 was 25,224

Here is a LINK _
    The success that LSU has enjoyed over the past 10 years has really hurt our attendance. Back in the 70's, LSU was usually nothing more than a middle of the pack SEC team. I think that some of the casual fans that attended Cajuns' games back then are now going to Baton Rouge instead. Selling a middle of the pack SBC team over an SEC team, one that is regularly ranked in the top 10, is tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Oops, tha would be me.

I relayed a conversation I had with a track coach, he didn't mean to imply it was Bustles fault.

If anything the onus was more on strength/conditioning coach. _
    I think a few people take comments out of context.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information