Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cajuns Raging

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Cajuns Raging

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ Do SBC teams travel less than the average WAC, MAC or CUSA team?
    igeaux.mobi _
    I bet the NECHS routinely have 10-12,000 in attendance at all their away games...

Default Re: Cajuns Raging

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    _ I bet the NECHS routinely have 10-12,000 in attendance at all their away games... _
    They ship their blue tarps by FedEx?

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Cajuns Raging

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ They ship their blue tarps by FedEx? _
    So THAT'S where all that surplus WACky money goes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    _ A new coach will not automatically raise attendance... My original point was to go out and get a quality coach that will bring hope and expectation of winning. Wow what a radical thought... WINNING

You can't go out and get embarrassed 55-7 in your first game.... then embarrassed against a conference foe... and expect to bring the casual fan in. I know a handful of people who chose not to attend Friday night because they were afraid of being embarrassed. That is the legacy of this administration. Not competing on a consistent basis...

When you pay $400-500k for a new coach the expectation has to be that he will turn the program into a winner... 7 games a year should be the expectation. If after 4 years he does not produce you do it again. You dont wait 9 friggin years and HOPE that something will change.

Winning will produce crowds. A realistic hope that you will compete when you bring in a OK State will increase crowds... Being in the hunt.... really in the hunt.. for a Conference title will increase crowds... A bowl game every now and again will increase crowds...

Why is that so difficult to understand and more importantly why is it so difficult to achieve? _

I agree with what you are saying. I happen to believe that we will certainly draw a larger crowd if the expectations and product on the field are higher. What concerns me though is that teams on our level such as Troy, FAU, even Ball State and Buffalo in the MAC have not seen any consistent increases in attendance no matter how good they have been. The cajuns, largely a middle of the road team in the SBC, has lead the SBC in attendance for several years with nowhere near the success that FAU and Troy have had.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    _ "so yeah a new coach with new excitement will get our attendance back up just like bustle did"

^^ Ok then what is your argument?

I never said we should be proud of the loss last week.

And if you don't like Bustle then that's fine. But attack him for the on-field performance because that's the only thing he is responsible for.

I get tired of people on here blaming Bustle for things he's not responsible for. In this case people are blaming Bustle for low attendance when there are many other factors that affect it. And with all the complaining about low attendance people don't even realize that it's actually been higher the past 3 years.

If you hate Bustle that's fine but at least attack him for things he is responsible for like wins and losses. If you want him gone it's should be because you don't think 6-6 is good enough, not because of injuries or attendance. _
    i didnt blame bustle for attendance, actually i think thats been pretty decent, all i said is its time for him to go, not because of attendance but he has brought us to where he is going to bring us, and to compare bustles first years here is not a fair comparison, the program was in shambles, if and when he leaves the program will be in a much better position than when he got here. you are confusing 2 posters. i think its time for him to go but not b/c of attendance, i brought up the point that he had us leading the conference in attendance. people are tired of the same ol thing so attendance will begin to drop. and if you go out and make the right hire, attendance will increase. season ticket sales are up for basketball and marlin hasnt even held a full practice yet. i blame bustle for always losing a game he is not supposed to and he has a OC mentality. in 9 years you have never heard bustle say "this is unacceptable" as a head coach sometimes you have to be that guy. its always , well we played hard or i thought we moved the ball well at times, At this level effort should not even be a question, if you dont play hard you stand on the sideline. why are we even discussing effort, is osu the only game they played hard? Why should we not expect to be able beat teams like this? Troy doesnt have this attitude, Middle doesnt have this attitude so why is it ok for us to have it?

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    At this level effort should not even be a question, if you dont play hard you stand on the sideline. why are we even discussing effort, is osu the only game they played hard? Why should we not expect to be able beat teams like this? Troy doesnt have this attitude, Middle doesnt have this attitude so why is it ok for us to have it?

7. Default Re: Cajuns Raging

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post

At this level effort should not even be a question,
    "No question"

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I guess this is a "new coach" thread... so I'll add my 2 cents. First, quit quibbling over things that a little terminology change would rectify. No, a "new" coach won't do jack squat. A "better" coach... for the times we are in... would be expected to both increase fan and area football spectator interest and attendance... AND elevate the probability of winning more matchups... for many reasons.

Bustle has done us a good job. He managed to erase the Baldwin years and that was no simple task. But, we are stuck in a rut. We are in midseason and I am also quite sure we all still hold out hope that we will win the SBC championship and/or make it to a bowl. However, considering the situation at UL... new RCAF... some new facilities existing or in the works... new president... soon to be new AD... we also need an upgrade at the football helm... the bus driver for all other sports... and the best or worst marketing component of a southern public university.

I am not like others that actually think Bustle isn't a solid head coach. I think he is. His greatest drawback is not knowing when he is outmatched. We are going to be outmatched 60% of our games. You do not keep going back to the well with a smaller bucket and expect to out haul a guy with a larger bucket. Bustle's only coaching failure in my mind is not realizing he isn't holding an equivalent or bigger bucket against the balance of opponents. There are ways to mitigate a talent mismatch. He still doesn't believe he has one.

Even bigger than that... Bustle is no longer fresh and he is tagged with a 6 win peak performance capability at UL. THAT alone is going to require we dismiss him. I would rather we stop all of the other attacks... be thankful for what he's done... and focus on what will truly be an improvement (not just a "change").

Now, if Bustle eclipses 6 wins this year... he is no longer stale and has achieved a new peak. If not... he has to go. Let's simply leave it at that. To me, it isn't debatable. He came here with big boy coaching pants on and he will leave with big boy coaching pants. Please don't get caught up in the emotion of competition and requirement of winners and losers.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I guess this is a "new coach" thread... so I'll add my 2 cents. First, quit quibbling over things that a little terminology change would rectify. No, a "new" coach won't do jack squat. A "better" coach... for the times we are in... would be expected to both increase fan and area football spectator interest and attendance... AND elevate the probability of winning more matchups... for many reasons.

Bustle has done us a good job. He managed to erase the Baldwin years and that was no simple task. But, we are stuck in a rut. We are in midseason and I am also quite sure we all still hold out hope that we will win the SBC championship and/or make it to a bowl. However, considering the situation at UL... new RCAF... some new facilities existing or in the works... new president... soon to be new AD... we also need an upgrade at the football helm... the bus driver for all other sports... and the best or worst marketing component of a southern public university.

I am not like others that actually think Bustle isn't a solid head coach. I think he is. His greatest drawback is not knowing when he is outmatched. We are going to be outmatched 60% of our games. You do not keep going back to the well with a smaller bucket and expect to out haul a guy with a larger bucket. Bustle's only coaching failure in my mind is not realizing he isn't holding an equivalent or bigger bucket against the balance of opponents. There are ways to mitigate a talent mismatch. He still doesn't believe he has one.

Even bigger than that... Bustle is no longer fresh and he is tagged with a 6 win peak performance capability at UL. THAT alone is going to require we dismiss him. I would rather we stop all of the other attacks... be thankful for what he's done... and focus on what will truly be an improvement (not just a "change").

Now, if Bustle eclipses 6 wins this year... he is no longer stale and has achieved a new peak. If not... he has to go. Let's simply leave it at that. To me, it isn't debatable. He came here with big boy coaching pants on and he will leave with big boy coaching pants. Please don't get caught up in the emotion of competition and requirement of winners and losers.
    Perfectly said. My thoughts exactly. Calling the guy an idiot, or suggesting that he's incompetent is idiotic on itself. He did a tremendous job getting us to where we are, and we should all recognize that. Having said that, in order to take the next step, we have to move on from Bustle. It's the simple nature of progression. We were not appealing to a coach worth the money we'll pay the next guy after Jerry Baldwin. Now we are, thanks to Bustle and the admin's somewhat commitment to football the last few years. I recognize what the guy has done, I'm appreciative, but inorder to CONTINUE progressing, the next step must and I'm confident will be taken.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ I guess this is a "new coach" thread... so I'll add my 2 cents. First, quit quibbling over things that a little terminology change would rectify. No, a "new" coach won't do jack squat. A "better" coach... for the times we are in... would be expected to both increase fan and area football spectator interest and attendance... AND elevate the probability of winning more matchups... for many reasons.

Now, if Bustle eclipses 6 wins this year... he is no longer stale and has achieved a new peak. If not... he has to go. Let's simply leave it at that. To me, it isn't debatable. He came here with big boy coaching pants on and he will leave with big boy coaching pants. Please don't get caught up in the emotion of competition and requirement of winners and losers. _
    J1M, I agree with much of what you have stated my friend as I usually do. The only part I respectfully disagree with is "his greatest drawback being his ability to recognize we are outmatched". I think he knows, He just has limited ways of dealing with it.

I too think he has raised the bar, from laying on the ground to about shin level, and I thank him for being a solid, ethical coach for our program. This year, is looking a whole lot like the others. Inconsistent. We are sliding towards the end of the Bustle Book at UL. He is writing his last chapter. I'm confident that he and the team won't give up, they have shown in all his years to be fighters. We just have such a tough time matching up with just about anybody, and we shouldn't at this stage of the Bustle era. It would be great surprise, but beating Troy would sure be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    _
    I'm confident that he and the team won't give up, they have shown in all his years to be fighters. We just have such a tough time matching up with just about anybody, and we shouldn't at this stage of the Bustle era. It would be great surprise, but beating Troy would sure be nice. _
    As a consistent proponent of a change, I would agree with this. I believe that RB gets his team to keep fighting but we should not be looking for "moral" victories against ANY SBC team at this stage. I think he has brought us as far as he can and my constant drum beat for change is not meant to diminish what he has done. I just think it is time for this program to step up and become a force in the SBC on a consistent basis. A force means winning consistently and being champions of the Conference on a routine basis

What if he goes 7-5 this year?

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    As a consistent proponent of a change, I would agree with this. I believe that RB gets his team to keep fighting but we should not be looking for "moral" victories against ANY SBC team at this stage. I think he has brought us as far as he can and my constant drum beat for change is not meant to diminish what he has done. I just think it is time for this program to step up and become a force in the SBC on a consistent basis. A force means winning consistently and being champions of the Conference on a routine basis

igeaux.mobi

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    _ J1M, I agree with much of what you have stated my friend as I usually do. The only part I respectfully disagree with is "his greatest drawback being his ability to recognize we are outmatched". I think he knows, He just has limited ways of dealing with it.
    I agree with you on the team not giving up. That is one of Bustle's strengths over the years. He keeps his teams united, regardless.

On the disagreement with me... when you say "I think he knows... he just has limited ways of dealing with it". I can't tell what a man thinks... I go strictly by what I observe him do. You may be right that "he knows" he's limited and what those limits are... but he has not resolved exceeding those limits in 9 years. If I believed that a UL football coach absolutely cannot break our prescribed limits, I would not follow UL football.

Personally, when you are up against a tough situation, recruiting-wise... no solo conference championships and no bowls is a "tough situation"... you have to stop going the route of everyone else. You have to pick your poison and take the risks of having done so.

My preference for UL would have been a systematic move toward a gunslinger passing attack... kind of like Mike Leach did to bring Texas Tech into the winning circle against greater systems. However, with the offense we chose... zone-read option... I would not have had a problem if Bustle stuck to strictly recruiting super athletic running QBs (first and highest regarded skill asset) and worked them into being decent short to medium range passers. Our best Bustle year IMO, talentwise, was MD/Fenroy/Chery's senior year. Having Mike get hobbled and not have a Mike look-a-like athletically to step in... was our downfall.

Every guy in the 1, 2, 3 depth chart should practically look like a clone of one another. I see us picking up the best possible recruits... with assorted skills... and then having to tailor our offense toward strengths and away from weaknesses.

UL is in a situation that we have to upset programs on our schedule, including in our conference, in order to succeed. When you have an upset moniker on your letterhead... that says to the head coach... "you must do things differently... take more risks". That is not what I have seen a lot of in the Bustle years. I think we recruit and play "like everyone else"... and if we do... we will never get over the hump and be a special program.

I think Stokely was a special coach. Despite having been with Clemson in their national championship and having played QB at LSU, and his personal demons, he managed to see what it would take to reach beyond our limits. He recruited some serious talent and knew how to use them. We may have only upset A&M, but we had upset games down to the wire all of those years. That is what has to happen and more at UL. That is the mission of the UL head football coach. If we were dangerous to top 25 teams... like Troy is... we would win our conference and have bowl stories to talk about. UL has to be dangerous. The next coach... whoever he may be... has to have the title "Coach Dangerous"... or I don't want him.

I'm sorry but stokley's teams really weren't any better than Bustle's. Stokley usually played 2-3 1-AA schools every year. Bustle usually plays 2-3 BCS schools every year. Those three games were the difference between stokley's winning records and bustle's losing records.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    _ I'm sorry but stokley's teams really weren't any better than Bustle's. Stokley usually played 2-3 1-AA schools every year. Bustle usually plays 2-3 BCS schools every year. Those three games were the difference between stokley's winning records and bustle's losing records.

igeaux.mobi _
    You are flat out wrong. You not only need to go back and look at the schedules, you need to know a little bit about the games we played. We regularly beat WAC and CUSA teams that we'd find near impossible to defeat today. And we took OSU (against Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas), Arkansas, Auburn and Alabama down for down in great games. We played just as many "BCS programs". Bustle's 6 win seasons are with an FCS win. He has also had the luxury of 12 game seasons to help get to 50%.

And... half the "1AA schools" we played in the Stokley years comprise the SBC now. I'm not down on Bustle... except for under-estimating what UL has to do to win and being too conservative. But, I am not backing down from what I personally saw Coach Stokely do. We had a few bad years, but that guy was always preparing his teams to kill a giant. We reached into being a top 40 team with votes in the top 25 back then. That has not happened under Bustle.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information