Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flashback: Mid December 2001 ( the Bustle hire )

1. Ragin' Cajuns Flashback: Mid December 2001 ( the Bustle hire )

What follows are links to a series of posts and articles leading up to and one day beyond the hiring of coach Bustle as Louisiana's football coach on December 13 2001

The posts are from Delphi 3 months before raginpagin.com existed. The audio at the very end (makes more sense if you scan all the articles) is from Birds Eye View with host Jay Walker on December 14th 2001

Originally posted by Turbine
    The choice is now Rickey Bustle and it is a no brainer.

In the six seasons prior to Rickey Bustle becoming the offensive coordinator of VT the school averaged just4 wins per season. Including 2-8-1 in 1992, that the very same year Louisiana went 2-9.

I was enamored with Lewis Cook, but he is not a choice. It was because as offensive coordinator of Louisiana he engineered a six-win turnaround in 1993 that ranked Louisiana as a school that tied for 5th best turnaround in NCAA history. NEWSFLASH: Rickey Bustle did the very same thing, the very same year at Virginia Tech with a 9-3 record, but unlike Louisiana, Virginia Tech has never looked back. However coach Bustle did (at least for one year) look sideways.

2. In 1994 Coach Bustle made a lateral move to South Carolina, a school that had averaged 4.8 wins in the previous 5 years. The year before South Carolina had gone 4-7-1. For some reason (not researched) he only stayed a single year at USC. However the year that he was there as offensive coordinator of the South Carolina Gamecocks they went 7-5 and had a win in the Carquest Bowl win over West Virginia. .The year after he left they returned to their losing ways and went 4-6-1. In the 5 years following his stint they averaged just 3.2 wins. Rickey Bustle was a noticeable Blip on the USC radar.

Not all schools experience a drop off after Rickey Bustle leaves. He left ULM in great shape following a stint as offensive coordinator. After just a couple years of implementation of the Rickey Bustle offense, he left. Yet the following year (1987) “Northeast Louisiana” (now ULM) won the Division I-AA Football championship.

In 1995 he rejoined the Tech staff and immediately picked up where he left off two season’s prior as he guided the Hokies to two straight 10-2 seasons.

In every single one of Rickey Bustle's eight seasons as offensive coordinator at Virginia Tech the offense has ranked in the top 10 in school history. In those same eight seasons the school has averaged 9.38 wins per season.

This success has culminated into the fact that every single year since Rickey Bustle first became the offensive coordinator the Hokies have been to a post season bowl game. Including a shot at the national championship in 2001.

Bustle, who also has earned a reputation as an outstanding recruiter, who can be extremely successful with a variety of different style quarterbacks. Stan Humphries, Bubby Brister, Maurice DeShazo, Will Furrer, Jim Druckenmiller, Michael Vick, and except for faltering the last game of the season Grant Noel has held up the successful Rickey Bustle tradition.

I hope I have not burned you out with my new endorsement, but as far as I am concerned it’s “Rickey Bustle or BUST

3. Default 12-07-2001

Rickey Bustle is an impact coach. While he has experienced some lesser years, they were only as a position coach. Anywhere he has been as OC they have won, and won big.
    He is a great recruiter, and is just what we need. His credentials are impeccable. He has personally placed players in the PROS, and that is the ultimate recruiting tool.

While he has never been a head coach, neither had Mike Leach at Texas Tech. The list of successful first time head coaches in the NCAA is numerous and varied.

12-07-2001

4. Default 12-08-2001

Coach Bustle even has Pro experience with the former USFL Arizona Wranglers in their first year 1983.

He was a position coach as he worked with the running backs that year, and though the team as a whole did not win much, the running game amassed 2138 rushing yards.

Originally posted by Louisiana84
    By the way, Turbine, who toted the rock for those Wranglers while Bustle was there?
    The Arizona Wrangler rushing game the year Rickey Bustle coached the running backs

PlayerSchoolYards gained
    Calvin MURRAYOhio St699
    Steve HOWELLBaylor380
    Curtis BLEDSOESan Diego St.321
    Alan RISHER LSU231
    Darryl CLARKTexas219
    Harold BLUEE.Carolina123
    Dan MANUCCIKansas St.94
    Doug BANKSE.Carolina71
    Total >2138

Delphi 12-8-2001

5. Default 12-10-2001

Originally posted by Cypremort
    Glen Quibodeaux reported on Don Allen's "Out of Bounds" that Bustle was offered the job on 12-09-2001

6. Default 12-10-2001 (suggestion)

Rickey Bustle is married to the former Lynn Sanders of Charleston, S.C., who holds a Ph.D., in curriculum and instruction.

A position for Lynn Bustle on Louisiana's faculty would only be a win-win situation for the university.

How about a professor with a husband as the head coach? This could be a galvanizing force for getting the rest of the faculty behind the program and this in turn would fire up the students. Fired up students would get the family of students to turn out for games. A Bustle, Bustle hire would pay for itself.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lynn Bustle would be a major find in her own right. She is the "Program Coordinator" for the Center for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (CEUT) at Virginia Tech.

CEUT is a support structure organization for Virginia Tech’s Teaching Community. It is the university center on campus charged with promoting and supporting a culture for teaching that is vibrant, healthy, and productive.

Lynn Bustle's current primary responsibility is that of planning and implementing CEUT activities. This makes her just one person removed from (contact with) every student at the university. What a potential galvanizing force.

I do not know if Louisiana has an equivalent program, but it should have an ongoing effort to enrich teaching lives through education, encouragement, collaboration, and provision of needed resources, including time for reflection. If Louisiana does not, or even if it does, Lynn Bustle would be a huge asset to the community.

She would be the perfect liaison between scholarly excellence and athletic prominence. The two can go hand in hand.

. . .

She received her Ph.D. in 1997 [/B]

Delphi 12-10-2001

7. Default 12-10-2001

Five home games in 2002 with an average increase of just 3000 per game, will generate an additional $150,000 over 2001. It is so beyond simple! Give it to the coach who will be responsible for bringing in the fans.

$150,000 current
    +$150,000 generated
    $300,000

Delphi 12-10-2001

8. Default 12-10-2001

FIRST, JUST PRIOR TO 1993:
  9. VIRGINAIA TECH: From 1987 to 1992 Frank Beamer was the Head coach of Virginia Tech. The Hokies were not bad but they were just above listless. In Frank Beamer’s first 6 years as Virginia Tech’s head coach they averaged just 4 wins per season.

10. LOUISIANA: From 1987 to 1992 Nelson Stokley enjoyed more success than Frank Beamer, 4.7 wins wins per season. Louisiana was 7/10ths a game better (win wise) for Frank Beamer's first 6 years.

Now you might think, Louisiana’s seven tenths of a game besting of Virginia Tech over 6 years is not really that much better. So the question sits, how much better is better?

Well Virginia Tech had a stretch from 78-86 (prior to Beamer) where they averaged 7 wins a year. So one might conclude, that we should forget 87-92 since historically VT is far better than Louisiana. Wait not so fast, lets go back to when “The Swamp” (Basin) opened. From 1973 to 1992 Louisiana only lost six tenths of a game more than Virginia Tech lost over the 20-year period from 1973-1992.

Sure VT won 16 more games over that 20-year period, but they also played 13 more games.

The point I am trying to make is . . . for the 20 years prior to 1993 Virginia was not really in any better shape (wins wise) than Louisiana. Sure they had 6/10ths of a game advantage in losses, but we were 7/10ths of a game better in the win column for those 6 years from 86-92. I don’t know how much better is better, but I can tell you this; take any advantage you can get.
  11. delphi 12-10-2001

12. Default 12-10-2001

Originally posted by icbaril
    KATC, TV-3, began their 5:00 report with the story that Bustle was offered the job and will be in town Tuesday or Wednesday to tour facilities and work out a deal.
    Originally posted by CalifCajun
    From the Roanoke Times Sunday December 9 (Advocate of Lafayette?):
    Sunday, December 09, 2001
    IN THE REGION
    Bustle finalist at La.-Lafayette

Virginia Tech offensive coordinator Rickey Bustle is reportedly one of three finalists candidates for the vacant head coaching position at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

Bustle, Temple head coach Bobby Wallace and Central Arkansas head coach Clint Conque are the leading candidates to replace Jerry Baldwin, who was fired last week by the Sun Belt Conference school after winning six games in three seasons.

The Advocate of Lafayette said the school hopes to name a coach early this week.

Bustle, 48, a Tech assistant for 14 years, has past ties to the area, serving as an assistant coach at Northeast Louisiana from 1984-86.

Delphi 12-10-2001

13. Default 12-10-2001

Bil may have already stated this on KPEL's Sportsnote radio show, or it may have been posted here before, but I think I have found a local connection for coach Bustle.

At one time we have all stated that having some local connections would be a plus for the next coach. Well if I am correct, it seems that Billy Ryckman and Coach Bustle have at least crossed paths while with the Arizona Wranglers.

Billy Ryckman played with the Atlanta Falcons, and later with the Arizona Wranglers in 1983. Coach Bustle coached the running backs for the Wranglers in 1983.

I don't know how well they knew each other, but having a local connection can only help to make him feel at home . . . if we make the right offer.

"LOUISIANA"
    since 1984

Tune in to the SportsNote radio show
    Weekday mornings at 9 on ESPN 14.20

Delphi 12-10-2001

14. Default 12-11-2001

Originally posted by OregonCajun
    I had a chance to check a couple of Hokie boards during lunch, and the word is that Bustle is a done deal here.
    Originally posted by BOP4111
    No knock on anyone's reporting.

but this is not totally done yet.

As a source told me today, "It'll probably happen, but it's no slam dunk."

when they call a press conference HERE, then it's done.

15. Default 12-12-2001

We hope you feel at home, and as welcome as you have felt anywhere you have ever been. We hope your scouting trip is informative, educational, and inspiring.
    Louisiana (the state) is, as you well know, talent rich on the high school level, and is just waiting for you to tap its potential. I think we rank fifth or sixth in the country in the number of high school students who make it to the NFL.

When it comes to being a quality fan base, we may be a little clumsy at first. However, I assure you, as we get our feet wet in the ways of success, you will be amazed at the transformation of willing fans who will get behind your program. We will do what ever we can to make you a successful division 1A head coach.

I hope you brought Mrs. Bustle with you, and that she finds the area to her liking as well. Oh, and please, make yourself at home in Louisiana, and at Louisiana. (the university)

L
    O
    U
    I
    S
    I
    A
    N
    A
    Time to shake things up!
    Do the BUSTLE HUSTLE

Delphi 12-12-2001

16. Default 12-12-2003

"what were those ideas for the dome you talked about this morning? Was not in the area and could not here it."

Well it harped back to this . . .

When the IceGators were just an idea, the Cajun Dome needed changes in order to accommodate the team. The changes that were made, including seating (fixture) changes icing apparatus under the floor... etc.

The media reported (at the time) that if the Ice Gators failed all equipment had to stay.

My question is did the same thing apply to the Swamp Cats, and RoughNecks? Do we still have the turf from either one of those leagues?

If we do still have the turf, I would have wanted to see the turf laid down (today only) for coach Bustles tour of the facilities. An indoor practice facility for rainy days would be a big plus for Louisiana.

I based this idea on the fact that Kurt Warner attributes is NFL success on the arena league speed. So rainy day practices on a shortened field would be great for mental speed preparation. Sure not all aspect of the game could be worked on but then again we are not talking about using this every day.

CROWLEYCAJUN (if I remember correctly) spoke of how this could have helped land the Saints, and suggested the goal posts could be put to use by the kickers.

Delphi 12-12-2003

17. Default 12-13-2001

Originally posted by towele
    Bustle has accepted job! Finally!
    Delphi 12-13-2001

18. Default 12-13-2001

Originally posted by Cajun90
    This off the VT board.

"Ricky's wife has been offered a tenure track faculty position at ULL as well. That this is an OPPORTUNITY for both of them to further their careers makes all the difference in the world. He will take the job if no unexpected issues arise. "

Delphi 12-13-2001

19. Default 12-13-2001 (Hokie report)

Bustle Named Head Man at Louisiana-Lafayette

Will call plays for Tech in Gator Bowl
    December 13, 2001

BLACKSBURG, Va. - Virginia Tech offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Rickey Bustle has been named the head football coach at the University of Louisiana-Lafayette. Bustle accepted the position Thursday morning and was introduced as the new coach at a press conference in Lafayette, La., Thursday afternoon.

"This is just a great opportunity for a first-year head football coach," Bustle said. "I promised my wife that I wouldn't just take any job just to be a head coach. This football program has a lot of promise, especially being in the Sun Belt Conference and having a bowl tie-in.

"Virginia Tech and Blacksburg have been the most special places that my family and I have ever been. This has not been an easy decision because of the roots that we have there, but it's one that I've been waiting a long time to make."

"Coach Bustle has given a lot to our offensive team while in Blacksburg," Virginia Tech head football coach Frank Beamer said. "His success with quarterbacks is obvious. We've had some of our-highest scoring offenses in school history under him."

During Tech's Gator Bowl Media Day on Thursday afternoon, Beamer announced the promotion of assistant head coach/offensive line coach Bryan Stinespring to the role of offensive coordinator. Stinespring will maintain his role as the offensive line coach and a search for a new quarterbacks coach will begin immediately. Despite the move, Bustle will be on hand to coach the Tech offense during the Hokies' Gator Bowl game against Florida State on Jan. 1, 2002, and will call the plays for the Hokies. Stinespring will take over the role as the offensive coordinator after the game.

The rest of the story

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information