• YES

22 43.14%
  • NO

21 41.18%
  • MAYBE

8 15.69%

Thread: Can Nelson!

UL Basketball Can Nelson!

Nelson's hide needs to be nailed to the wall.

Is there no accountability?

lets take a vote please.

Default I wouldn't mind having a new AD, but.

not over this.

A department head of a Division 1-A program shouldn't have to take care of a clerical matter like verifying that the candidate graduated from an accredited school. A subordinate should be responsible for that. The AD's job is to find a good coach, and find him as soon as possible. I think he did this.

It was incumbent upon Cyprien to correct his Oklahoma State resume before applying for the Louisiana job. I can only assume he was afraid to do so for fear he would be terminated at OSU.

The Saturday Advertiser quotes Terry Don Phillips (Oklahoma State AD when Cyprien was hired) as saying he just accepted what the resume said. That leads me to believe that chances are a whole lot of athletic directors would have been caught with their pants down on this same incident.

I will also say in Cyprien's defense that I didn't check the accreditation UL had before I enrolled, and still don't know what it has and doesn't have.

But at the end of the day I give Schexnayder a Pass and give Cyprien a Fail because a falsified resume existed. Another Saturday Advertiser article said that his biography at all of his previous stops claimed he had a degree from UTSA. He got the unaccredited Bachelor's degree in 2000 and unaccredited Master's degree in 2002, so when he was at UNLV, Jacksonville, and WKU he didn't have any degree whatsoever.

3. Default

hell no we shouldnt can shex

hes a good AD look at all of the changes that our athletic complex is undergoing right now its because of him
    cyprien lyed to like 5 different schools
    not just us

our athletic program is doin great right now and we are really improving things

people make mistakes !! he's human and still a great AD

Default Re: I wouldn't mind having a new AD, but.

Originally posted by California Cajun
    not over this.

A department head of a Division 1-A program shouldn't have to take care of a clerical matter like verifying that the candidate graduated from an accredited school. A subordinate should be responsible for that. The AD's job is to find a good coach, and find him as soon as possible. I think he did this.
    AH yes. Like I said - no accountability. BS!!!!!

5. Default

The thing Nelson lacks is passion. A person with passion for his job would have caught this in the year 2004

Read today's paper and it explains it all. There were 6 other universities before us that has the same requirements and they accepted his resume. SO, if Nelson is to get the axe should the other ADs at the other schools get the axe for not doing there research. I can understand if this was his first coaching assignment but Cyprien has been doing this at 6 other colleges. Get real and try not to judge so soon. He did take the blame but he also relied on other creditible ADs and endorsements from other coaches.

take care and keep the Spirit

7. Default

i struggle to find words to tell you! so i will say this.get a life, stick a sock in it, get real, most of all please move on to something else because what you a advocating is stupid and a waste of space and time. not no, but,HELL NO.

.must be Nelson himself gracing us with his words of wisdom

9. Default

Several points.

10. Nelson said he takes responsibility; I forgive him, in that I trust it wouldn't happen again. After all except for Baldwin, Cyprien is his only other snafu. He has seemingly done exceptional in hiring coaches.

11. Those who are trying to make excuses for him when they say others failed before him, do Nelson a disfavor and cheapen his personal responsibility. They cheapen his taking responsibility in that it makes his mistake glaring in that he is the first since the Notre Dame O'Leary fiasco.

Going all the way back to 2001 when the O'Leary lies became exposed, it could be interesting and perhaps implicating to research if local reporters did their job and asked both Nelson Schexnayder and Dr. Raymond Authement what their policy was on researching new hires.

12. One glaring tell tale sign was Nelson saying he was really going to check Robert Lee's resume. This slip up tells me every coach on the UL staff has not been checked and must be checked.

13. Still when I look at Glynn Cyprien's bio and where he started right out of college -his alma mater- I cannot help but see how he slipped through the cracks.

14. The only question I have left are who called anonymously, and why would anyone take an anonymous call serious.

15. One more question; what did Sally Claussen mean when she said Authement would not sign Cyprien's contract? Does this mean he made an anonymous call to Nelson?

Turbine,

I agree with all your points. However, I still get the feeling that all Nelson has to do is say he made a mistake and all is forgiven. Well, all isn’t forgiven and he should (in my opinion) publicly apologize to all UL supporters.

I just can’t walk away from a screw up of this magnitude on a single “I made a mistake and I’ll do better” comment. His performance at the news conference was pathetic to say the least.

Enough is enough. I still think he should RESIGN!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information