Thread: ROUX Lady Cajuns Hall adds Charles to roster

1. UL Basketball ROUX Lady Cajuns Hall adds Charles to roster

New Iberia product able to bypass JC route.

LOUISIANA La. — It’s a well-known adage “good things comes to those who wait.”

And after receiving a Division I-A basketball scholarship from University of Louisiana, no one is a bigger believer in the saying than former New Iberia Lady Jacket guard Onna Charles.

“They say that good things come to those who wait,” Charles said. “It was God’s will for this to happen.”

Charles had originally inked with Angelina Junior College with the hope of joining a division one university the following year.

“We wanted Onna, but we didn’t have any available scholarships,” said Ragin’ Cajuns basketball coach J. Kelley Hall. “Her signing with the junior college was our doing. We told her that we would bring her back after one year there.”

“The talk was that I would go to Angelina for one year, work on my game and then they would give me a scholarship,” Charles said. “But in the end things worked out better for me.”

When the Cajuns had a scholarship open up they went after Charles.

“We really like Onna’s athleticism,” Hall said. “She is the type of player who can play several positions and who has the ability to shoot off the dribble.”

Charles, who averaged over 20 points last season en route to leading the Lady Jackets to the Class 5A quarterfinals, is excited about continuing her career at home instead of in Texas.

The rest of the story

Eric Narcisse
    enarcisse@theadvertiser.com

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

nice pickup for J Kelley

Z.

Any idea how a scholarship opened up? Did we lose someone?

Thread Information