Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blackham Coliseum 1950 . . .

1. Default Blackham Coliseum 1950 . . .

Team practice 1951

Basketball at Blackham memorabilia

1947 a prebuild sketch

1949 a game where only the basketball floor was lighted.

1950 graduation, or convention before the cross rafters were added. (no smoking please)
    Attached Images Attached Images      

UL Basketball Blackham Coliseum (History, Pictures & Thoughts)

Just curious. Does anyone know the history of the coliseum. who it was named after?

UL Basketball Re: Blackham coliseum

Quote Originally Posted by leeman
    Just curious. Does anyone know the history of the coliseum. who it was named after?
    Don't know about the naming but from what I understand from an alumni reading Blackham cost around $70,000 to build.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Blackham coliseum

Quote Originally Posted by leeman
    From the UL website

Blackham Coliseum was named for Stafford Morgan Blackham, former professor of animal husbandry and head of SLI's Department of Animal Husbandry. He began his career at UL Lafayette as a professor in 1935 and served as dean from 1942 until his death in 1945. The coliseum, completed in 1948, was dedicated to be used for livestock shows, basketball games and civic exhibitions.

UL Basketball Re: Will you be there? First Game in Blackham in decades!

Quote Originally Posted by RaginRash
    Ask in a language these geezers can understand:

Friends, Cajuns, countrymen, hast thou a photograph of thine olden time glory days; in the bosom of fine Blackham?

You may or may not have to mix in some Beowulf.
    Geezers?? Go easy there Twerp!! But this Geezer remembers some fond moments in that place. Can't wait for Thursday night.the Fountain of Youth.

Beowulf, is dat de same ting as a feu-follet??

Default Re: Blackham Coliseum (History & Pictures)

thanks for the infonow I'm educated!

Anybody remember Linda Ronstadt performing at Blackham?

Anyone here who has seen a game before a packed house in BC? is it louder than the CD? if so, that will be pretty cool. definatly an intimidation factor

Default Re: Will you be there? First Game in Blackham in decades!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCharlie
    Geezers?? Go easy there Twerp!! But this Geezer remembers some fond moments in that place. Can't wait for Thursday night.the Fountain of Youth.

Beowulf, is dat de same ting as a feu-follet??

I have a framed poster in my house dating back to, I believe 1972, called The Budweiser Bayou Classic at Blackham Collesium. It is a drawing of a sell-out game at Blackham and pictures of our 5 most outstanding players up to that time, Andrew Toney, Bo Lamar, Jerry Flake, Marvin Winkler and Dean Church. This may be a collectors item, but I still cherish it and the memories to this day.

Geaux Cajuns!!

Quote Originally Posted by locoguano
    Anyone here who has seen a game before a packed house in BC? is it louder than the CD? if so, that will be pretty cool. definatly an intimidation factor
    Yes, it is (was) louder. Back when the fire marshal looked the other way, we used to pack 9,000+ into Blackham. I don't think we've had many crowds that size in the Cajundome. The new seating capacity at BC is listed as 6,200. So, you can see that it was pretty packed in there. Also, the comforts were definitely not there. My butt used to get pretty numb on those old boards. No backs - kinda like watching a football game!

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun
    I was a student then, but didn't see the show. However, I heard about it! Heard she had some unpleasant things to say about Lafayette and walked off the stage. BTW, the old Lock & Key bar out on Pinhook was run by the Ronstadt's, a relative of Linda's. They had a daughter who looked a lot like Linda.

12. Default Re: Blackham Coliseum (History & Pictures)

Quote Originally Posted by locoguano
    I saw a preseason game vs a Texas school that Spud Webb was playing for.

No one knew who he was nor did I but a sports reporter I went to the game with had seen him play before, and made sure I took note.

I can't remember the croud size but it did get loud.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun
    I don't remember Ronstadt, but I saw The Commodores there.

Default Re: Will you be there? First Game in Blackham in decades!

Quote Originally Posted by SugarLandCajun
    I have a framed poster in my house dating back to, I believe 1972, called The Budweiser Bayou Classic at Blackham Collesium. It is a drawing of a sell-out game at Blackham and pictures of our 5 most outstanding players up to that time, Andrew Toney, Bo Lamar, Jerry Flake, Marvin Winkler and Dean Church. This may be a collectors item, but I still cherish it and the memories to this day.

Geaux Cajuns!!
    Andrew Toney on a circa 1972 poster :confused: He didn't start school at USL until around 1976 I thought. It must have been a ghosts of basketball past, present and future poster. If you can, why don't you take a picture of it and post it here so some of us other old-timers can enjoy it too.
    Shof

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2
    I was a student then, but didn't see the show. However, I heard about it! Heard she had some unpleasant things to say about Lafayette and walked off the stage. BTW, the old Lock & Key bar out on Pinhook was run by the Ronstadt's, a relative of Linda's. They had a daughter who looked a lot like Linda.
    That is somewhat true, the Lock and Key was originally owned by the Lauck's and was later sold to Ronnie Ronstadt and it was then called the Caberet. I think there was a relation to Linda. As for Blackham I remember going to my first game there in the 70's. Also remember making a bunch of games in the 81-83 seasons and it was very loud. Alonza Allen, Dan Gay, Graylin Warner they were good. I also remember later on watching them on TV from there and if I remember right B of P was doing those games too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information