Thread: Anyone doubt that media darling USC will be allowed to take Williams back?

UL Football Anyone doubt that media darling USC will be allowed to take Williams back?

Even though every other athlete in the world that has had contact with an agent has been forced to stay out of college football, you know the NCAA is going to bow-down to media darling USC and let Williams back in.

http://mb10.theinsiders.com/fuscfansfrm1

I think both Williams and Clarrett should be left out to dry. They made their bed, now lie in it.

Default Re: Anyone doubt that media darling USC will be allowed to take Williams back?

Originally posted by bigearl
    I think both Williams and Clarrett should be left out to dry. They made their bed, now lie in it.
    Left out to dry is being tooooo nice. The NFL will take them next year.

I meant left out to dry for this coming year with regards to returning to college.

I just think it's not right.

I think Clarrett and Williams are two different stories. Clarrett challenged the status quo and won the decision in court, which was later overturned. After that decision was rendered (from what I read in other articles), the NFL contacted Williams about his entering the draft. It appears that they instigated his entry, so I would be more lenient about his case than Clarrett's.

5. Default

Well for one Williams must have missed too much schoool to get eligible.

Second I don't think it would be fair to so many that went before him, and it might temp those after him to test the system again and again.

My only real question is whether the court decision was strong enough to stop future kids from testing the system.

In the end I would say no, go play Arena or Canadian for a year and the NFL will still drool over his services.

If he does get in, someone is puuling some very looong strings.

The story about Mike Williams (MW) is different than Maurice Clarrett's (MC). MC challegened the eligibilty rule. Once it was ruled that MC was eligible for the draft, the media began to swarm MW about his chances of turning pro. Most NFL teams had MW in the Top 5 of the draft, so he decided to test the NFL since it is now okay for him to join the NFL. However, once another court ruled them ineligible, what is MW going to do? The courts had just ruled him eligible, so he made his decision because of the ruling of the courts. Now, he was denied entry by another court.

However, I have learned MW must pass 12 credit hours over the summer to be eligible for football in the fall (24 in an academic rule to be eligible for the NCAA).

MW made his decision based on a ruling of the court. He didn't want to test the eligibilty rule, that was MC. MC won't be allowed back at OSU, however I feel that if MW repays all of the money received from his agent and completes the necessary schoolwork, he should be reinstated at USC.

I agree that the 2 are very different cases. MW's biggest mistakes are probably twofold. First, he could have declared himself eligible for the draft without hiring an agent so quickly (essentially waiting to see if the court decision was overturned). Second, he did a poor job of "covering his 6" by not taking care of the student part of being a student-athlete. Sometimes you just have to live with your mistakes.

Thread Information