Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 . LastLast

Thread: The University of Louisiana at New Iberia Primate Research Story

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: NIRC Rebuttal

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ Well. *blush*. I'm a tree-hugging nature freak.

But I'm also clear that people come before animals. And I also support prudent hunting, because the alternative-- starvation-- is worse.

I love animals. But sometimes you just have to choose between the lesser of two evils. _
    Nice article, Joe.

Z

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ I wrote an analysis of the Nightline story on ultoday.com. I thought it might be worth a new thread. _
    I just read your analysis and it is outstanding. I saw nothing of the abuse implied by the broadcast. I could film animal rescue people, voice it over with some tender music and a "shame on us humans" message and summon thousands of calls of outrage. These primative primates are treated much better than most of our elderly in nursing homes. But, those people aren't all cute and cuddly like a new-born chimp. This kind of propaganda infuriates me.

ABC sucks for airing this in this manner. I don't think we have a high caliber of media people in the business anymore. Media pumps and pimps junk at the rate of a billion bytes a nanosecond and no one takes the time to filter for authenticity. When you haven't properly vetted a story. you should at least provide the same time for a counterpoint.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: NIRC Rebuttal

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ I just read your analysis and it is outstanding. I saw nothing of the abuse implied by the broadcast. I could film animal rescue people, voice it over with some tender music and a "shame on us humans" message and summon thousands of calls of outrage. These primative primates are treated much better than most of our elderly in nursing homes. But, those people aren't all cute and cuddly like a new-born chimp. This kind of propaganda infuriates me.

ABC sucks for airing this in this manner. I don't think we have a high caliber of media people in the business anymore. Media pumps and pimps junk at the rate of a billion bytes a nanosecond and no one takes the time to filter for authenticity. When you haven't properly vetted a story. you should at least provide the same time for a counterpoint. _
    Yes, Doc Fun's analysis was spot-on.

4. Default Re: NIRC Rebuttal

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    _ Nice article Doc. Them damn tree hugging nature freaks who never get out of their offices or houses. _
    Beau, I really mean no offense, but you have generalized, with the term "tree hugging nature freaks", a very large portion of the population who wish to green up the enviroment.

Take myself for instance. If their is something I can do through recycling, utilizing products that prove to be safe to the enviroment, utilizing means to produce needed electricity and power that lessen the strain on producing the product, and in general appreciating nature for what it is worth to mankind and the world, does that make me a tree hugging freak?

Let it be known that I am an outdoorist. Until old age infirmities lessended my hunting and fishing expeditions, I was in the fields, woods, and on the waters as often as I could do so. Let it also be known that as I aged I never harvested any wildlife or fish in excess of the limits stated in the law. I enjoyed harvesting these creatures because I enjoyed being in the outdoors, and most of all because I enjoyed the culinary delights they provided.

Let it be known that I fail to understand those that abuse hunting privileges and those that ruin the enviroment for profit. It is then that my "tree hugging" instincts come to the fore. I believe that there is a balance that can be achieved between users and those who wish to preserve nature for its beauty and importance in the enviroment. We simply have to work together to achieve this balance.

So, there are those of us who can be "tree huggers" and still see a place for all of those who enjoy nature and its benefits. Hopefully it translates into a benefit for all of mankind.

5. Default UL reply to abuse charges strong

In January, the Daily World called for a thorough investigation of claims by Stop Animal Exploitation Now (SAEN) that raised strong questions about treatment of primates at UL Lafayette's New Iberia Research Center (NIRC). SAEN asked the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to investigate the claims.

On March 4, after UL and NIRC offered their rebuttals to the charges, The Advertiser endorsed claims that the center allows no abuse of the primates housed there.

The rest of the story

Homes SO Clean

6. Research NIRC's large research role makes it target for animal rights activists

NEW IBERIA - For the most part, the stretch of Admiral Doyle Drive just off of La. 182 looks just like other major rural roads in Acadiana.

But just beyond the homes and the large offices of oil and gas companies lies a 100-acre site filled with laboratories, indoor and outdoor animal housing and hundreds of chimpanzees, monkeys and other primates - UL's New Iberia Research Center.

By no means is the facility the only one that conducts biomedical research on primates or other animals. The nonprofit Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care has given its seal of approval to more than 770 companies, universities, hospitals and other institutions that conduct such research, which often includes testing medications before human trials to determine their possible effects.

The NIRC is one of those accredited facilities.

What sets NIRC apart from other institutions is its sheer size - more than 200,000 square feet of laboratory and animal facilities, 10 different species of primates and more than 6,000 animals.

That size alone was enough for the Humane Society of the United States to launch a nine-month undercover investigation there in late 2007,

The rest of the story

Amanda McElfresh • amcelfresh@theadvertiser.com • March 8, 2009

Homes SO Clean

Default Re: Animal abuse allegations denied

Hopefully, all the posturing, from both sides, is over now and the federal agency in-charge of monitoring the system can investigate the charges and share their findings. Any findings that clear the center probably will not make national TV, but that's the world we live it and for discussion another day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ Nice article, Joe.

Z _
    Thanks, Dude.

One of the things that really gets me mad about this. they say that they investigated NIRC because it's the largest. I don't think that's why.

I think it's the opposite

I think they were looking for the "smallest" guy they could find, namely us. You think they would have tried this with Tulane, Texas, or Emory?

That's alright. It's a good chance for us to see how how good Savoie is at bourée.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ Thanks, Dude.

One of the things that really gets me mad about this. they say that they investigated NIRC because it's the largest. I don't think that's why.

I think it's the opposite

I think they were looking for the "smallest" guy they could find, namely us. You think they would have tried this with Tulane, Texas, or Emory?

That's alright. It's a good chance for us to see how how good Savoie is at bourée. _
    So far looks like Doc S has played his cards right.

Appreciate you calling Kate about last night. Sorry she had other plans. Please remember her in the future.

Z

_ So far looks like Doc S has played his cards right.

Appreciate you calling Kate about last night. Sorry she had other plans. Please remember her in the future.

Z _
    No problem. We'll call her, she's a sweetie.

_ Well. *blush*. I'm a tree-hugging nature freak.

But I'm also clear that people come before animals. And I also support prudent hunting, because the alternative-- starvation-- is worse.

I love animals. But sometimes you just have to choose between the lesser of two evils. _
    I agree with the prudent hunting as well, Fun. My uncle owns a 4000 acre ranch in Del Rio, Texas and he is required by the state of Texas to harvest nearly 200 deer per year in order to keep the balence in check. I spoke to his ranch manager about such a high number to harvest and he informed me that the alternative was much worse and less humaine. Before they we enrolled in the program they would lose 200-300 deer per year to blue tongue or anthrax.

Hunting is the humane alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    _ Nice article Doc. Them damn tree hugging nature freaks who never get out of their offices or houses. _
    I know where you're coming from when you say "tree huggers", b/c I've seen the extreme ones. There are some non extreme "tree huggers" out there though.

I've been to NIRC a handful of times, have met and interviewed with professors (I had thought about working there at one time), and personally know some of the professors and techs. There are some "tree huggers" working at NIRC, the ones I know of are in behavioral sciences and work very hard to make sure the quality of life for the primates is constantly at the best level. These folks working at NIRC, the one I know, care very much about the mental and physical health of the primates. The chimps are there for a reason and I can see how some may be concerned, but they are cared for pretty intensely. All that being said, any trace of abuse would be a killer for all the work being done.obviously.

I can't keep from thinking about the opening scene from "28 Days Later"."They're infected with Rage!"

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ I agree with the prudent hunting as well, Fun. My uncle owns a 4000 acre ranch in Del Rio, Texas and he is required by the state of Texas to harvest nearly 200 deer per year in order to keep the balence in check. I spoke to his ranch manager about such a high number to harvest and he informed me that the alternative was much worse and less humaine. Before they we enrolled in the program they would lose 200-300 deer per year to blue tongue or anthrax.

Hunting is the humane alternative. _
    They also die of starvation. There was a place in New England where they outlawed deer hunting. They had also eliminated all the wolves. In a couple of years, the deer were moving out into the city.

Because they were hungry.

A naturalist who walked through the wood nearby said it was like a clean, vibrant city, filled with many people.

.but no children. The only thing that had survived were the grown trees. The deer had stripped the forest of all brush, seedlings & saplings.

And they were starving. I work in a subset of ecology; populations need predators, either macro- or micro-predators (disease and parasites). If they don't face predation, they face starvation, and the population crashes.

They also die of starvation. There was a place in New England where they outlawed deer hunting. They had also eliminated all the wolves. In a couple of years, the deer were moving out into the city.

Because they were hungry.

A naturalist who walked through the wood nearby said it was like a clean, vibrant city, filled with many people.

.but no children. The only thing that had survived were the grown trees. The deer had stripped the forest of all brush, seedlings & saplings.

And they were starving. I work in a subset of ecology; populations need predators, either macro- or micro-predators (disease and parasites). If they don't face predation, they face starvation, and the population crashes.

http://www.michaelcrichton.com/speech-complexity.html

This link is in my signature. I thought I would highlight it here because Dr. Crichton covered this in a very effective manner.

It's in my signature because I think as many people need to read these words as possible.

_ Nice article, Joe.

Z _
    BTW, someone at NIRC emailed me, said the article had a "huge" reception with the Center's partners.

It must have gone through almost all of the animal research labs. either that, or the HSUS supporters were going over to read it. For two days, it octupled our traffic on ultoday.com.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 . LastLast

Thread Information