Summar Lapeyrouse earns league's postgraduate scholarship

DESTIN, Fla. - University of Louisiana softball standout Brooke Mitchell's list of accomplishments for the 2004 season received yet another addition here Wednesday evening at the Sun Belt Conference's annual honors banquet dinner.

Mitchell was honored as the Sun Belt Female Student-Athlete of the Year, becoming the first athlete from the University of Louisiana to earn the distinguished honor. The award is based on outstanding achievement, leadership and character.

Mitchell is rewriting the Ragin' Cajuns record book, on the way to becoming one of the nation's best in the circle. She completed the 2004 season with a 45-5 record, 524 strikeouts and 0.82 ERA in 315 2/3 innings setting the school single-season records for strikeouts and victories.

The junior's list of accomplishments is a mile long. She began her career as the 2002 Sun Belt Conference Freshman of the Year and followed that season up by leading the Ragin' Cajuns to the 2003 Women's College World Series.

This year, Mitchell became the third ever Division I softball players to surpass 500 strikeouts in a season. She led the Cajuns to a perfect Sun Belt season, a league tournament championship, as well as the NCAA Region I championship game.

She was named the 2004 Sun Belt Pitcher of the Year, as well as the Sun Belt Tournament's Most Outstanding Player. Mitchell, a business finance major, also carries a 3.518 cumulative grade point average, earning 2004 Academic All-District first team honors.

"Brooke is a very deserving kid to win this award because she excels in every aspect of her life," says UL Lafayette Co-Head Coach Michael Lotief. "She helps set the standard in the conference as what a student-athlete is about."

"It is a tremendous honor for Brooke to be recognized as the Sun Belt's Student-Athlete of the Year," said University of Louisiana athletics director Nelson Schexnayder. "She had an outstanding year not only as a softball player, but because of her accomplishments as a student."

Also honored at the banquet was former teammate and recent University of Louisiana graduate Summar Lapeyrouse who was awarded a postgraduate scholarship. The award is based on superior academic achievement and was chosen by the league's Faculty Athletic Representatives.

Lapeyrouse earned her degree this past spring after a fantastic four-year softball career. The Lafayette native helped lead the Lady Cajuns to the 2003 Women's College World Series.

She also earned Second-Team Verizon Academic All-District accolades in the process. She was also a fixture on the Sun Belt's Commissioner's list, which is awarded to student-athletes who earn a 3.5 or above Grade Point Average.

"I congratulate Summar on her dedication to our program," Schexnayder said. "She is a terrific person who I am proud to have affiliated with our University. She has demonstrated a success and persistence to education that is exemplary."

LOUISIANA SI