Thread: Louisiana Defeats Arizona!

1. Louisiana Louisiana WINS, LOUISIANA WINS

The Lady Cajuns eliminate #3 seed Northwestern 3-0.

Ragin' Cajuns defeat South Alabama 14-6

2. Default

NU

ARIZONA REGIONAL

UL

NorthWestern elimintated at the hands of Louisiana and is the 3rd different team the Lady Cajuns had a hand in eliminating

1 2 3 4 5 6 7             Runs Hits Errors
    NU 0 0 0 0 0 0 0            
    UL 0 0 1 2 0 0 X            

Did yall notice Gametracker is using UL.

Also did yall see that its on the net on CSTV against Arizona tonight.

Default Cajuns Killing Arizona

4-0 at the End of the third.
    Cajuns have struck 2 homeruns (solo + 2R)

ULA 130-4
    ARZ 000-0

5. Default

Steve Peloquin is calling a great game, I love his enthusiasm.

I don't know how this game will end, but emotion is such an integral part of this game. I will say now more than ever, it is evident the committee did Louisiana and Arizona no favors.

Regional format is designed to favor #1 & #2 seeds as they are suppose to be able to cakewalk through the first 2 games.

In Arizona's case they were supposed to play # 8 then #4 or #5. But when the committee essentially gave them 2 #2 seeds, it really stacked the odds against Arizona. When Arizona had to face the #9 team in the country early (2nd game) I think it took a lot out of them emotionally.

Of course the reason it is unfair to Louisiana is because the #9 team in the country should NEVER have to face the #1 seed in just its 2nd game.

With the unfairness to Arizona and Louisiana it left only Oklahoma with all the odds in its favor.

Default Louisiana Defeats Arizona!

Gomex has 2hr and Mitchell shuts out the Cats!

ULA 130 010 0-5
    ARZ 000 000 0-0

Lets Geaux beat Oklahoma!

Committee of goofballs in retreat.

8. UL Softball Arizona Laments. Louisiana Sees Daylight.

Cajuns Keep the Cats at Home
    UA's season ends at 55-6

Louisiana drubbed Arizona, 5-0, Saturday evening in Tucson, and kept the Wildcats at home.

Top-ranked Arizona (55-6) lost two games in a row for the first time since California bounced it from the Women's College World Series last May -- and this time Louisiana-Lafayette did the trick and ended the Cats' hopes of reaching the Series for a 17th consecutive season.

UL (59-7) played as spirited as Oklahoma had against the Cats, earlier in the day and it's the the fifth-seeded Ragin' Cajuns who will take on No. 2 seed Oklahoma on Arizona's home field in the NCAA Region 1 Championship game at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Two players were key for the Cajuns -- pitcher Brooke Mitchell and third baseman Danyele Gomez, but the whole team played a hand in extending the program's record season to 59 victories.

The Cajuns gave UA sophomore ace Alicia Hollowell her second loss of the day -- after losing only two all season -- and made it seem easy, blasting two home runs in the first two innings and seeming to make every at-bat count.

Meantime, Arizona, the overall No. 1 seed in the playoffs, managed only six hits off Mitchell (44-4), who they had beaten 4-0 Friday afternoon. Mitchell struck out seven, helped strand 11 Arizona base runners and, more emphatically, shut out the Cats at home for the first time this season and the first time since Oklahoma State pulled it off on Feb. 21, 2003.

Gomez socked two home runs, one early and one later, to punctuate Louisiana-Lafayette's attack.

The Cajuns one-upped OU, who collected eight hits and three runs off Hollowell, and tagged the 41-4 hurler for 10 hits, two under her career and season high of 12 against Stanford on May 2, a 2-1 SU victory.

UA loaded the bases in the first but came away scoreless. Allyson Von Liechtenstein chopped an infield single, Wendy Allen beat out a bunt single and Jackie Coburn drew a two-out walk. Freshman shortstop Kristie Fox fouled off six pitches from Mitchell before grounding to second.

Hollowell became only the third player in NCAA Division I history to reach 500 strikeouts in a season by setting down leadoff batter Holly Tankersly in the first, but gave up a home run to Gomez in the next at-bat as UL took a quick lead.

Arizona SI

9. UL Softball No. 40 Cajuns eliminate top-ranked Arizona

Gomez, Tankersley power Cajuns to 5-0 rout of Arizona.

TUCSON, Ariz. — Louisiana's softball team did seemingly the impossible on Saturday — knock No. 1 ranked Arizona out of the NCAA playoffs.

The No. 5-seeded Ragin’ Cajuns did so in convincing style, winning 5-0 by using the long ball to end the season of a team that went virtually the entire 2004 season on top of the polls, and halting Arizona’s 16-year run of making the College World Series.

“This is a good win. You come out here expecting to win games,’’ UL coach Stefni Lotief said. “Obviously, Arizona is an awesome team with an awesome softball environment. That is a huge win.”

The victory puts the Cajuns into today’s 3 p.m. (CDT) championship round against Oklahoma. UL must win two against the Sooners in the double elimination Region I NCAA tournament at Hillenbrand Stadium.

The Cajuns are not done yet, nor satisfied with just this win.

The rest of the story

10. UL Softball

Sooners, Cajuns knock off UA

The Pac-10 is having yet another stellar postseason, with as many as six teams poised to reach the Women's College World Series.

But for the first time since 1987, Arizona isn't going to be one of them.

The juggernaut Wildcat softball program was eliminated from regionals on its own field after losing twice Saturday.

Today's Region 1 final at 1 p.m. will pit second-seeded Oklahoma (43-19-1) against No. 5 seed Louisiana-Lafayette (59-7), the two teams that handed the Wildcats just their second and third losses ever in regional play at Hillenbrand.

Oklahoma beat the UA 3-2 in the winner's bracket Saturday afternoon, then ULL knocked out the listless Cats with a 5-0 decision a few hours later in the loser's bracket.

"This is the last thing I'd imagined," senior catcher Mackenzie Vandergeest said afterward amid a sea of shocked and teary-eyed teammates and supporters. "I'm just speechless."

Arizona never led Saturday, falling behind 3-0 to Oklahoma and 4-0 to the Ragin' Cajuns, a team it easily beat 4-0 Friday. But unlike other occasions this season when the UA trailed early, all possible comeback chances came up short.

The rest of the story

By Brian J. Pedersen
    ARIZONA DAILY STAR

Originally posted by Chuck
    Committee of goofballs in retreat.
    I feel that your comment here is highly offensive, and I think that apology to all the goofballs out there for comparing them to the NCAA Softball selection committee.

Also, if it is ok for WKU fans to throw water bottles at our basketball team for huddling at midcourt, is it also ok to nail WKU's Pam Herriford (Selection committee member) with a couple?

Does WKU play softball? Oh yea, I seem to remember them being swpet by UL too many times to count. Clearly we are playing in an inferior league.

UL Tennis

Seems like the cats need to keep up, she was the 4th as Brooke had already reached that position. Brooke can catch fellow Texan Cat Osterberg if she can get a few more games to rank second all time.

UL Tennis

Originally posted by Turbine
    Steve Peloquin is calling a great game, I love his enthusiasm.

With the unfairness to Arizona and Louisiana it left only Oklahoma with all the odds in its favor.

It's hot in here will be what the OU players will be saying when brooke takes them apart today.

15. Default

Original quote by Arizona Coach Larry Ray
    "I've noticed people hit the ball hard against Hollowell when it is daylight . . . . I give credit to Louisiana."
    Louisiana must have seen Daylight.

Thread Information