Thread: Perks 4th at Colonial

1. UL Golf Perks seizes first-round Colonial lead

DAY 1

Feat feels great after low point of missing the cut on a short putt at the Masters.

FORT WORTH, Texas — One month ago Louisiana Alum Craig Perks hit the "lowest of the low” in his career after making a double bogey from the middle of the fairway on his 36th hole at the Masters. He missed the cut by one stroke.

“I was just nearly lifeless,” Perks said. “I just had no energy. I had no passing, no nothing.”

The distraught Perks figured there was only one thing to do — call Butch Harmon, the sport’s Dr. Phil for the golf swing.

With just one five-hour session with Harmon and three of 13 made cuts this season, Perks never would have believed a six-under 64 was in the cards at Colonial Country Club. But thanks to pure iron play and a few, long-awaited good breaks, the New Zealand native owns a one-stroke lead after the first round of the Bank of America Colonial after making six birdies and no bogeys Thursday.

“As bad as I have been playing, I didn’t see 64 coming, but I work hard and you never know what’s going to happen,” said Perks, who has never recovered from overhauling his swing after winning the 2002 Players Championship.

Even though Perks said he hit just two of seven drivers good Thursday, he shot matching nines of 32 to edge Jesper Parnevik. Unlike in the past, every time it looked as if a bad swing was going to derail Perks on Thursday, he was able to recover.

After playing Colonial’s back nine first and recording three birdies, Perks added another on No. 3. Still at 4-under, Perks hit a hook off the tee on No. 6 — a dogleg right. However, the ball avoided the trees, ran through the thick rough and onto a path matted down by the galleries.

“I think that’s what happens when you play well,” said Perks, a former assistant pro at Le Triomphe in Broussard. “But that big hook drive, that’s been what I’ve been fighting for about year now.”

The rest of the story

2. Default

DAY 2

New Zealand golfer Craig Perks is in a tie for third after the second round of the PGA tour's America Colonial tournament in Texas.

The overnight leader has fired a one over par 71.

Perks is one stroke off the pace set by leader J.L.Lewis who fired a second round 4 under 66 to be six under for the tournament.

The rest of the story

3. Default

Through eight

Attached Images Attached Images  

Geaux Cajuns

4. Default

Through 10

Attached Images Attached Images  

Geaux Cajuns

5. Default Perks secures fourth spot

FORT WORTH, Texas — Former University of Louisiana golfer Craig Perks looked to add a plaid jacket to go with his lone PGA Tour victory — the 2002 Players Championship — on Sunday.

While a second win didn't materialize, the Broussard resident would find his smile, his game and consecutive paychecks for the first time since March.

"I was beginning to doubt myself, but I'm now getting back to the way I know how to play," said Perks, whose fourth-place effort at the Bank of America Colonial was his best since his Players victory. "To be back in the top 5 feels great."

After getting to within one shot of the lead early in Sunday's final round at Colonial Country Club, Perks finished with a 2-under-par 68 on Sunday to finish four strokes behind winner Steve Flesch.

Perks had hope when he snaked in a 44-foot downhill putt on No. 10 to move to 9-under — one behind Flesch.

"I knew I had a chance and as I stood on the 12th tee," said Perks, who captured his first top-10 effort in 50 events (first top-5 in 62). "I knew I would have to birdie a couple of more coming in."

The rest of the story

6. Default

<A HREF="2004 colonial.wmv">Play the clip using the stand-alone player</A>
    Can't view the clip? Download the player plug-in from Microsoft

Thread Information