On June 15, 2002 University of Louisiana Athletic Director Nelson Schexnayder announced the hiring of Lance Veazey, as the head coach of the Ragin' Cajuns’ track and field program.

Veazey's hiring is pending approval from the University of Louisiana Board of Trustees. He is replacing former head coach Charles Lancon, who passed away April 13.

The Lafayette native has coached track and field at UL for eight seasons, including the last five. He was hired as an assistant coach in August of 1997.

“We’re excited to keep Lance on board,” commented Schexnayder. “He’s been very loyal to the University and should do an excellent job.”

Veazey, 31, started his coaching career as a student assistant with the Ragin’ Cajuns, working under former assistant Tommy Badon from 1990-93. In 1993, the Cajuns landed the “quadruple sweep”, when the men and women both captured indoor and outdoor championships.

"I’m happy that the administration has the confidence in me to assume the head coaching responsibilities," said Veazey. “I don’t expect to fill Coach Lancon’s shoes, because it will never be done. The ground work has been laid over the past few years to continue a successful track and field program.”

The Teurlings graduate left Louisiana to pursue a job at Blinn Junior College in the 1993-94 season. He spent one season at Blinn before going to the University of Texas as an assistant. Following his stint with the Longhorns, Veazey moved back to Louisiana and took an assistant head coaching job at Southeastern.