Thread: Masson gaining confidence as season approaches

1. Default Masson gaining confidence as season approaches

Masson gaining confidence as season approaches
    The rest of the story

Default Re: Masson gaining confidence as season approaches

I have no concrete reason, just a gut feeling that Mason will have a very good year. Mainly because he has improved each year, has a decent arm with some accuracy, and should have a better understanding with the offense. Accuracy is extremely important as a QB, even more so than his running ability, which I believe some give too much emphasis on. I'm not too fired up about our running game yet, which we really need, to make our offense go. The stats so far in the scrimmages are weak, and that's against our defense, which has not proven to be strong in that area in the past. Until I actually see the defense stop some people in games, I'm a bit skeptical. Really looking forward to the season, Geaux Ragin Cajuns.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    _ I have no concrete reason, just a gut feeling that Mason will have a very good year. Mainly because he has improved each year, has a decent arm with some accuracy, and should have a better understanding with the offense. Accuracy is extremely important as a QB, even more so than his running ability, which I believe some give too much emphasis on. I'm not too fired up about our running game yet, which we really need, to make our offense go. The stats so far in the scrimmages are weak, and that's against our defense, which has not proven to be strong in that area in the past. Until I actually see the defense stop some people in games, I'm a bit skeptical. Really looking forward to the season, Geaux Ragin Cajuns. _

I pretty much feel the same. The defense is reason for excitement as they do have more speed than what i've seen as a fan. However, you're right, they need to stop teams (namely SBC teams) from running all over us this year like in the past before I truly buy in. Masson is very underrated. He looked good today and his receivers did him no justice by dropping ball after ball. He knows this offense well and I think he's more comfortable running it now. This offense will be better than most think IMO. They may need a little time gaining chemistry with the line and running backs but I think we will average a good 50-75 yards more than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ I pretty much feel the same. The defense is reason for excitement as they do have more speed than what i've seen as a fan. However, you're right, they need to stop teams (namely SBC teams) from running all over us this year like in the past before I truly buy in. Masson is very underrated. He looked good today and his receivers did him no justice by dropping ball after ball. He knows this offense well and I think he's more comfortable running it now. This offense will be better than most think IMO. They may need a little time gaining chemistry with the line and running backs but I think we will average a good 50-75 yards more than last year. _
    Masson has amped it up after a poor spring. He has been the best QB in fall camp period. This is his offense to run, and he will need to be consistent getting the ball to his playmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ Masson has amped it up after a poor spring. He has been the best QB in fall camp period. This is his offense to run, and he will need to be consistent getting the ball to his playmakers. _
    That was certainly a death defying shuttle pass to Matt Des.very impressive under pressure today.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ Masson has amped it up after a poor spring. He has been the best QB in fall camp period. This is his offense to run, and he will need to be consistent getting the ball to his playmakers. _

T, I think he will be fine distributing the ball. He did well today but was handicapped by his receivers and playcalling. I mentioned in my thread about the synopsis of the scrimmage that it seemed like we changed our offense to a spread-screen offense. It is very frustrating running bubble screen after bubble screen mixed in with the delay screen to the RB's but that's all we did today. I sure hope the coaches allow them to open it up a bit more and test our speed. To me, that's not allowing your playmakers the room to do their thing when the defense can predict what you will do.

Note to receivers: For the love of man, please catch the ball!

Quote Originally Posted by drumroll View Post
    _ That was certainly a death defying shuttle pass to Matt Des.very impressive under pressure today. _

So you made it in today huh? Your boy got some time in and looked pretty good. Also, that play was actually our triple option play that we ran a lot back in the Jerry Babb days. I think we need to run more of the triple option with all of the different "options" we have in the backfield. I think that would be a nice wrinkle to roll in there often and it gives Masson another read and option to make a play.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ So you made it in today huh? Your boy got some time in and looked pretty good. Also, that play was actually our triple option play that we ran a lot back in the Jerry Babb days. I think we need to run more of the triple option with all of the different "options" we have in the backfield. I think that would be a nice wrinkle to roll in there often and it gives Masson another read and option to make a play. _
    That play was well executed, good to have it in the arsenal for defenses that are chasing the ball too aggressively, great read.great run.

I also saw Mr. Green de-cleat a defender on that cut back across the middle TD run. That sort of effort decides games.

Thread Information