NCAA Releases Division I Stat Leaders 04/20/04 - NFCA Release

Arizona's Autumn Champion and Caitlin Lowe lead the nation in batting average, according to the latest release of the national statistics by the NCAA.

Champion leads the nation with a .484 average, while Lowe, a freshman is second with a .478 clip. The Wildcats continue to lead Division I as a team, hitting at a .346 clip.

Louisiana-Lafayette takes over the national lead in earned run average. The Ragin Cajun staff has compiled a stellar 0.55 ERA, while last week's leader, Florida State, dropped its team ERA to 0.56.

Tennessee continues to lead the nation defensively, fielding at a .978 clip in 1435 chances. Long Beach State is right behind the Lady Vols, as the 49ers have fielded .977 this season.

Jacksonville (Ala.) State leads the nation in scoring. The Gamecocks are producing 7.29 runs per game, slightly higher than Arizona's 7.18 average.

Texas-San Antonio senior Christy Brownlee leads the nation with 20 home runs, while reigning Louisville Slugger/NFCA National Player of the Week Christina Clark of Fresno State is second with 18. South Florida's Holly Groves leads the nation with 71 RBIs.

Fresno State junior Jamie Southern tops the nation with a 0.42 ERA. Louisiana-Lafayette's Brooke Mitchell is second with a 0.51 ERA. Southern and Mitchell are two of 33 Division I pitchers with a sub-1.00 ERA.

Tennessee freshman Monica Abbott continues to lead the nation with 470 strikeouts, but Arizona ace Alicia Hollowell is fanning 13.1 batters per seven innings to lead the national stats in that category.

The rest of the story

Entire list of NCAA TEAM statistics

List