Thread: 8/14 Scrimmage Report

Default Re: 8/14 Scrimmage Report

Of Note, I found the exchange between Aaron Spikes and the coaching staff to be interesting. Apparently, Robert Walker was on the field but had to come off as they were signaling the play in from the sideline, apparently due to an equipment malfunction. The coaches starting yelling his name to get out there and he trotted onto the field towards the huddle. Apparently, everyone expected him to hustle in and get to the huddle quickly as you could even hear Masson and perhaps one of the linemen yelling for him to hurry as he did not pick the pace up. He got in the huddle and Hudson quickly yanked him and gave him an earful. When he got to the sideline, Lustig also gave him an earful and he appeared to be bothered the rest of the time by it. I hope this is not a signal of things to come as a lot of talented guys who kind of expect to be given time tend to have a problem earning it. Since he's in the middle of a heated competition for the RB spot and is being given every opportunity to take it, I would assume he would do everything he can to make a great impression.

Also, Devon Lewis is a LB, not DB but made plenty of plays and was flying around. While I am still very excited for this defense, I want to see us become physical with another opponent before we start getting too excited. It will not matter one bit how fast we are if we can't stop up the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Of Note, I found the exchange between Aaron Spikes and the coaching staff to be interesting. Apparently, Robert Walker was on the field but had to come off as they were signaling the play in from the sideline, apparently due to an equipment malfunction. The coaches starting yelling his name to get out there and he trotted onto the field towards the huddle. Apparently, everyone expected him to hustle in and get to the huddle quickly as you could even hear Masson and perhaps one of the linemen yelling for him to hurry as he did not pick the pace up. He got in the huddle and Hudson quickly yanked him and gave him an earful. When he got to the sideline, Lustig also gave him an earful and he appeared to be bothered the rest of the time by it. I hope this is not a signal of things to come as a lot of talented guys who kind of expect to be given time tend to have a problem earning it. Since he's in the middle of a heated competition for the RB spot and is being given every opportunity to take it, I would assume he would do everything he can to make a great impression.

Also, Devon Lewis is a LB, not DB but made plenty of plays and was flying around. While I am still very excited for this defense, I want to see us become physical with another opponent before we start getting too excited. It will not matter one bit how fast we are if we can't stop up the holes. _
    You are right about Buchanan's position. Sorry about the mixup. Zephyr, individually who impressed you.

I wouldn't make too much out of an early fall practice incident. It is after this is the dog days of August. You have to remember that most of theses kids have always been one of the best (if not the best) players on the field, until now. Hoopefully he will adjust and be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ You are right about Buchanan's position. Sorry about the mixup. Zephyr, individually who impressed you. _

To be honest Mike, nobody truly stood out. I mean, yeah Butler looked good at WR the defense as a whole looked solid but even at this time in camp, the defense is usually further along than the offense. I'd have to say that Buchanan looked good because he was actually making plays and Jordan Topp was right behind. I think Topp will be one of our biggest X factors this year. I thought that Spikes had some really nice moments even beyond the low yards rushing. His ability beyond the line, even in the middle of the action, to make guys miss and get extra yards was impressive. I'm still a bit worried about his exchange as the timing is not good considering he's trying to make a good impression on his coaches and teammates to win the starting spot and develop trust. I hope it was just a mistake. You??

6. Default Re: 8/14 Scrimmage Report

Was Masson willing to tuck the ball and run when nothing was available? I still think we need a dual-threat quarterback to lead this offense. A dual-threat QB gives our offense a lot more options.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    _ Was Masson willing to tuck the ball and run when nothing was available? I still think we need a dual-threat quarterback to lead this offense. A dual-threat QB gives our offense a lot more options. _
    The QB's were under pressure all day and didn't have much time. They did tuck it and run several times. Most times when they tried to tuck and run they were touched by a defender before the could make much progress and by the rules of the scrimmage they were called down. In a real game they probably would have eluded the defender and advanced the ball on a number of those plays.

_ Was Masson willing to tuck the ball and run when nothing was available? I still think we need a dual-threat quarterback to lead this offense. A dual-threat QB gives our offense a lot more options. _

I think you are underestimating Chris' ability to be a dual threat QB. He had 6 rushing TD's last year and showed really good quickness and speed when running. He obviously would prefer to pass but if he's making his reads well, he can be a very effective runner.

Agreed.Interestingly enough I think we have the right offense, we just haven't necessarily had the perfect guy at the QB spot to run it. Mike was totally one dimensional and Babb was not as great of a runner.

I think the prototype would be someone like Babb, while Mike D's big play ability was huge, I think the way to attract top talent to the offense is to have someone who can distribute the ball, but yet still tuck it for a 20 yard gain when the offense gives you the reads that it so often does.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ Agreed.Interestingly enough I think we have the right offense, we just haven't necessarily had the perfect guy at the QB spot to run it. Mike was totally one dimensional and Babb was not as great of a runner.

I think the prototype would be someone like Babb, while Mike D's big play ability was huge, I think the way to attract top talent to the offense is to have someone who can distribute the ball, but yet still tuck it for a 20 yard gain when the offense gives you the reads that it so often does. _

I think Masson and Gautier can both do this.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ Agreed.Interestingly enough I think we have the right offense, we just haven't necessarily had the perfect guy at the QB spot to run it. Mike was totally one dimensional and Babb was not as great of a runner.

I think the prototype would be someone like Babb, while Mike D's big play ability was huge, I think the way to attract top talent to the offense is to have someone who can distribute the ball, but yet still tuck it for a 20 yard gain when the offense gives you the reads that it so often does. _
    Often times "the perfect QB" is made "more perfect" by how well everyone around him operates. Babb and MD were both effective running our offense. If MD would have not gotten the bum knee, we would have forgotten about his ineffective passing. Both guys had wicked hand-off skills. I do not believe I've seen 2 other college QBs that had that little hesitate on the hand-off and trick me 50% of the time as to who took off with the ball. Of course, it helps if the offensive line can give you that moment to read and react.

Anyhow, we'll see what Chris brings to the table this year. Much of it is going to depend on how well one or two of the RBs steps up and assists him. and of course. the OL. A QB can go from a hero to a zero or vice versa in a flash. depending on the play around him.

If you go back, Babb had more guys drop dink passes that probably would have won games had they just caught those easy passes. I never felt MD got the feel of where the WR target spots were. or simply could not hit them. If the OL, a RB, and a wildcat give Chris some help. I think he has the arm and the necessary wheels to exploit a lot of defenses. I am not sure about Gautier just because I haven't seen him play much. I like having him in the mix and fighting for his chance. Regardless, we have to get more production out of a RB or two if our QB is going to get that chance to run toward daylight.

12. Default Re: 8/14 Scrimmage Report

A few things: Chris looked solid, as he did most of last season. I'm hoping he takes the next step this season, and after Saturday, I still think it's in the realm of possibility. When he had time in the pocket, I made it a point to watch and see if he went through his progressions instead of staying with reads 1 and 2. The first series and a half, he did stare guys down, but after a few reps, he definitely adjusted and I counted 2 times for sure that he went through all of his options and then returned to read #1. Very encouraging. My one complaint is concerning his deep passes. It seems like he's trying to through to the receiver rather than putting the football in a spot and having the WR go get it. He's still leaving the ball up in the air too long. BUT, totally fixable.

I thought Spikes showed flashes, but like Zeph, I'm concerned about the little tiff with the coaches. I was more concerned by the way he acted after the fact. Other than that, the OL was opening up some really nice wholes on stretches and traps. I also thought all RB that played looked fresh and shifty. That position should be a bright spot for us in 2010. Rob Walker looks like a tough runner, but I have to be honest; with the way we pile up injuries around here, I'm extremely concerned about his size.

Defense looked FAST. Even the DL. To echo others, Topp looks ready to wreak havoc. LB looked competent and seemed like they were in the correct place all morning.

I went to the first scrimmage last season, and I walked away from this years' thinking that we are a MUCH faster, more athletic, physically more intimidating, and deeper team that in 09.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ A few things: Chris looked solid, as he did most of last season. I'm hoping he takes the next step this season, and after Saturday, I still think it's in the realm of possibility. When he had time in the pocket, I made it a point to watch and see if he went through his progressions instead of staying with reads 1 and 2. The first series and a half, he did stare guys down, but after a few reps, he definitely adjusted and I counted 2 times for sure that he went through all of his options and then returned to read #1. Very encouraging. My one complaint is concerning his deep passes. It seems like he's trying to through to the receiver rather than putting the football in a spot and having the WR go get it. He's still leaving the ball up in the air too long. BUT, totally fixable.

I thought Spikes showed flashes, but like Zeph, I'm concerned about the little tiff with the coaches. I was more concerned by the way he acted after the fact. Other than that, the OL was opening up some really nice wholes on stretches and traps. I also thought all RB that played looked fresh and shifty. That position should be a bright spot for us in 2010. Rob Walker looks like a tough runner, but I have to be honest; with the way we pile up injuries around here, I'm extremely concerned about his size.

Defense looked FAST. Even the DL. To echo others, Topp looks ready to wreak havoc. LB looked competent and seemed like they were in the correct place all morning.

I went to the first scrimmage last season, and I walked away from this years' thinking that we are a MUCH faster, more athletic, physically more intimidating, and deeper team that in 09.

igeaux.mobi _
    Great post

If Spikes and Walker has a mentor to follow at the RB position or Streeter and Shankle get close with these guys and talk them through these situations then it should settle everything out by itself.

but you gotta remember these guys are freshmen. and they do make mistakes and sometimes have ego issues. but when the upperclassmen put them in their place and knock them into reality, then they most likely come back in line, if not then yea there is reason for concern. but i think its too early to assess the situation. I just hope he doesnt do this stuff during the season.

Thread Information