Thread: Ragin' Cajun Blog: Football practice report, Aug. 12

Default Ragin' Cajun Blog: Football practice report, Aug. 12

My blog with Thursday's practice report:

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pb.Id=personaDest

Default Re: Ragin' Cajun Blog: Football practice report, Aug. 12

Thanks for the info Josh. To answer some of the questions. I think that Miller, Lawson and one of the freshmen will be the main targets from the WR corp this year. Lawson has been a little off this camp but I think that he's going to emerge and his ability to do something with the ball after the catch will really help us. I also expect to see Rico Joseph used on some end arounds, bubble screens etc due to his shiftiness and he played much better the second half of last season.

At running back, its hard to say having not seen any of these guys in a scrimmage situation. I'd expect Shankle to lead right now but I think that Walker and Spikes will see plenty of carries through the season. I expect Streeter to be used in the return game and possibly a lot when screens are called. I expect these guys to share carries and would think that Shankle, Walker and Spikes would all get about 8-12 carries a game.

I'm glad to see the coaches scaling back a bit. I couldn't understand it at all why you would hold a scrimmage the day after a two a day practice routine but its good to see that they will be doing coaching work. It still seems the same old when you approach every scrimmage and essentially the entire team is out with injury.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

First. Why are so many WRs injured? Of course we have to rest the team. now! . and limit further depth damage. I sure hope that our defensive secondary wasn't unleashed on our WRs! As for who it looks like will be the premier WR this year. hummmm. the guy that can last the entire season?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ First. Why are so many WRs injured? Of course we have to rest the team. now! . and limit further depth damage. I sure hope that our defensive secondary wasn't unleashed on our WRs! As for who it looks like will be the premier WR this year. hummmm. the guy that can last the entire season? _

That pretty much limits Falgout and Goodlett. Goodlett has shown promise every fall only to get injured and not enter a game. It's crazy.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ That pretty much limits Falgout and Goodlett. Goodlett has shown promise every fall only to get injured and not enter a game. It's crazy. _
    Ross has to be frustrated. Josh mentioned that despite the strides our young WRs are making with their opportunities, we have to get our veteran WRs, that know the full playbook (and can add the variations coaches want in this year's offense), to take back the lead. I am also hoping that Josh's mention of our injuries to starters not being serious, that this means that with rest, our WR corps will be ready by game 1. It's tough to limit them in practice. but if the injuries are only slight. the WR position worries me least in limiting contact. If they can still run routes and catch passes, they can be ready for the season start. I see our WRs being a much larger part of this year's offense. I think we're finally going to require defenses to respect the medium to deep ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ Ross has to be frustrated. Josh mentioned that despite the strides our young WRs are making with their opportunities, we have to get our veteran WRs, that know the full playbook (and can add the variations coaches want in this year's offense), to take back the lead. I am also hoping that Josh's mention of our injuries to starters not being serious, that this means that with rest, our WR corps will be ready by game 1. It's tough to limit them in practice. but if the injuries are only slight. the WR position worries me least in limiting contact. If they can still run routes and catch passes, they can be ready for the season start. I see our WRs being a much larger part of this year's offense. I think we're finally going to require defenses to respect the medium to deep ball. _

I can tell you this, after today you see that the freshmen WR's are every bit as talented and physically ready to play as any veteran out there. These guys are both good sized kids and if they can absorb the playbook and react out there versus think, they will be very valuable if called upon.

Thread Information