Lady Cajuns George never doubted where she wanted to play.

LOUISIANA La. — Crystal George never considered another path.

George, who grew up playing softball and idolizing members of Louisiana's Lady Cajun softball program, is now one of those players young athletes love to emulate.

The former St. Thomas More standout counts every day as UL’s left fielder as another blessing.

“I always looked up to the Lady Cajuns,” George said. “I would watch Kyla Hall pitch, and also enjoyed Alyson Habetz . all of them, really. Since I was little, I knew I would love to be a Ragin’ Cajun.”

Sometimes when something has that kind of buildup, the situation doesn’t measure up. But that hasn’t been the case for George.

For one thing, her first collegiate at-bat in 2002 resulted in a grand slam home run. That’s hard to top, although last year’s trip to the Women’s College World Series did just that.

“It’s been what I thought, and more,” she said. “I love the atmosphere, the coaches and my teammates. There’s really nowhere else I’d rather be.

“We have the greatest fans anywhere. It’s very family-oriented, very friendly, and you know they’ve got your back.”

Family is a central theme for George, a junior majoring in child and family studies who plans to open a daycare center after graduation.

Two of her cousins — pitcher Lance Stutes and outfielder Adam Judice — played baseball for the Ragin’ Cajuns.

She was a member of the 2000 national champion Louisiana Reflections, run by current UL coaches Stefni and Michael Lotief, and played for that select program since she was 12.

Uncles Gerald and Marc Judice are involved with the Cajun program, while her father David George is involved with fundraising.

Not surprisingly, George considers her UL teammates sisters.

“The best friends I’ve ever had in my life have been in softball,” George said. “We know each other so well, and we understand each other. We all mesh really well. The team chemistry is just great.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
bbrown@theadvertiser.com