Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Money Games

1. Default Re: Money Games

Well the 100% money game angle has not been tried but I doubt it would ever raise the perception of the school.

I could see it bringing in $6 mil a year perhaps $8 mil in a few years but I really think a consistently winning program with a winning track record would bring in much more in the long run.

I also understand the "How much damn easier are we suppose to get it" comment, it is a dilemma.

Part of the reasoning behind my 3 year rotation idea is to get them on our turf because that is the only chance of ever really turning the corner. On average even the BCS teams have historically losing records on the road.

Default Re: UL nixes deal with Tech to play LSU

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ I agree a big win in a losing season does nothing for a program. History has proven such. History has also shown that while money games will get you by . . . . they won't propel you. Only winning can propel a program financially and recruiting wise. We have seen small benefits from non losing seasons because you can at least argue potential, but it is not an excitement motivator that brings in cash.

In the mean time to get by and at least have a motivational stabilizer I would spend 2/3 of money game funds and save 1/3 to use every 3rd year. This would create a steady budget and allow the possibility for a breakout season every third year. _
    But where does the revenue come from beating smaller schools and getting an extra win or two? I don't see our attendance numbers spiking drastically after one 7-5 season and I don't see where the additional funds would come from that would potentially make up for 1.6 million in guaranteed money. Then, you likely have to pay other teams to come play us to get an extra home game or two since you are going to want to maximize your amount of home games when playing teams from weaker conferences or even FCS teams which you aren't going to travel to play. I think, in order to make that model work, you would have to put a 3-4 year plan together of this type of scheduling mixed in with the money game from year to year and hope you produce on the field and hit the jackpot with RCAF donations because the major source of your operating budget will be gone.

Default Re: Money Games

Because the State of Louisiana does not allow State schools to implement and utilize student fees dedicated to athlectic's (like virtually every other State in this country) we cannot utilize the existing models of several other mid-major schools that have risen up from the dead. Therefore, we have to do some things to raise additional funds that other schools in other States don't necessarily have to do. As has been stated numerous times by the administration, as well as on this forum, until UL fan's and supporters increase their donations significantly through the RCAF and/or other methods, we have no choice but to make money anyway that we can. Right now the easiest way to do that, is to play "money games" in football. The largest paychecks are typically written by the more successful programs in D-1A. Therefore we have to do what we have to do.

I realize that it is a tough task to play top notch SEC and Big 12 schools on a regular basis on the road, but because we have always been a D-1A program, we shouldn't back down from the competition. I know the odds are currently against us, but we need to continue working hard and when we get where we want to be, the rewards will be that much sweeter. These "money games" will not be a big issue when we simply start taking care of winning our conference.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: ULL nixes deal with Tech to play LSU

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCherokee View Post
    _ I hope you know that you have become part of the problem by not being a season ticket holder. It's fine if you don't want to, but I just want to make sure you know that. _
    I totally agree, talk about put foot in mouth. Fill up the stands and we don't have to have money games. GEEZ, it don't take brains to figure that one out.

GEAUX CAJUNS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information