LOUISIANA La. — Suddenly, Joy Webre is a veteran.

Louisiana’s junior catcher isn’t used to being the one with experience in Ragin’ Cajun softball, but she’s adapted to that role and is a core reason the squad is 30-4 in 2004.

“It’s a little bit different this year,” Webre said. “Usually, I was the one who would ask questions.”

Last year, Becky McMurtry and current graduate assistant Summar Lapeyrouse were there to provide answers as senior leaders. This season, roles have shifted.

“The freshmen ask me everything — where to go, class schedules, what to do when we check into a hotel,” Webre said. “I’m glad I can help out and make them feel more comfortable.

“That’s why it’s weird this year.”

When the Cajuns recently hit the road for the Kia Klassic, it was hard to find one player who didn’t have the essentials with her for departure at the Lafayette airport.That’s something they’ve learned from veterans.

“Everybody has a pillow and a blanket, and a CD player,” Webre said. “And, we bring our homework. We work on that in the hotel room, or at the airport.

That’s why we have our headphones with us.”

What music helps the Lafayette native focus amid distractions?

“I have a lot of country,” she said. “Also, some old, some new things. It changes.”

Joy Webre at a glance Junior Catcher
Throws: Right. Bats: Right.

Born: May 2, 1983, Lafayette. Will turn 21 on the Cajuns' final

regular-season home doubleheader against Western Kentucky.

High school: Denham Springs. Major: Chemistry.

Career numbers: 93 hits, 20 home runs, 75 RBI.

Essentials on the Road: Pillow, blanket, CD's, homework.

Musical selections: Country, old, new . it changes.

Little-known fact: Did not play catcher until college. Was a shortstop in

high school.

Personal: Sister, Hope, is a member of UL Lafayette's volleyball program.

Like many teammates, Webre excels in the classroom. The chemistry major was on the Sun Belt Conference Commissioner’s List in 2002-2003, thriving while the team was marching to its first College World Series berth since 1996.

It takes balance to make both endeavors work.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
bbrown@theadvertiser.com

March 26, 2004