Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread: The Jerry Baldwin Saga: 1998-2020

Default Re: Jury awards Baldwin $2 million

Wow.just.wow.

I can't pretend to know everything, or even much of, what went on behind the scenes. But anybody who thinks that Baldwin was fired because of his race and not for his pathetic performance as a head coach should have their head examined, especially considering that this university currently employs black head coaches in both men's and women's basketball, considered to be the #2 and #3 major college sports, respectively, and also employed Jesse Evans and attempted to replace him with another minority candidate in Glen Cyprien. Discrimination when it comes to hiring and firing isn't an issue with this school, our issue is what the school does to support those employees once hired - white and black alike.

2. Default Re: Jury awards Baldwin $2 million

Jerry Baldwin alleges racial discrimination led to firing after 2001 season

A jury has awarded a former UL head football coach $2 million in a lawsuit that claimed the university fired him because he was black.

Late Thursday, a jury in the 19th Judicial District in Baton Rouge came back with a judgment in favor of former head coach Jerry Baldwin.

Baldwin coached for UL from 1999 to 2001 until he was fired for poor performance, but the former coach filed suit against the school and the UL Board of Supervisors in 2002.

UL attorney Steve Oats confirmed the verdict.

The rest of the story

Kyle Jackson
    kjackson@theadvertiser.com

3. Support Jury awards Jerry Baldwin $2 million in discrimination case

Jurors awarded a fired University of Louisiana at Lafayette head football coach $2 million in damages late Thursday, finding that university officials breached his contract and inflicted emotional distress through negligence.

Jurors also determined that former coach Jerry Baldwin’s race played a role in his firing, but was not the sole reason for his losing his job. Baldwin was the first black head football coach at a major Louisiana university.

The six white jurors and six black jurors took almost 10 hours to work their way through a complicated verdict form. The award breakdown is $500,000 for general damages, including emotional distress; $600,000 for past lost wages; $900,000 for future lost wages, and $2,676 for special damages. Jurors voted 10-2 on the amount of damages.

Baldwin’s attorney G. Karl Bernard said his client is appreciative he had the opportunity to air his grievances.

“There is no substitute for victory,” said.

ULL attorney Steve Oats said the verdict is not supported by evidence presented at trial. Oats said he and university officials will evaluate the verdict and determine how to proceed with the case.

“It is clear Jerry Baldwin was not terminated because of his race,” Oats said. “Jerry Baldwin was terminated over his tenure. The team had a record of 6-27 and attendance was terrible. The program was not going in the right direction.”

The rest of the story

By ADRIAN ANGELETTE
    Advocate staff writer

Default Re: The Jerry Baldwin Saga

Man this ____es me off. I wish I could pull the race card everytime something doesn't go my way.

No wait I probably wouldn't do it anyway, cause I am not that kind of person.

Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    Discrimination when it comes to hiring and firing isn't an issue with this school, our issue is what the school does to support those employees once hired - white and black alike. _
    This school has a history of not properly supporting (athletics to the fans satisfaction) any football coach of any race. So Baldwin was no diferent than anyone else. And one of his claims seems to be the fact that he didn't have a coaches show. Isn't that outside of the university's control? I believe (and BOP can correct me if I am wrong) that a Coach's show is a separate contract between the Coach and the media outlets. And finally, while Jerry now claims he wasn't given the job to market the program he is the same guy who publicly stated that it was not his job to put fans in the stands. This verdict is a joke.

Hammer,it's part of the legacy Doc has left us with. Remember, Baldwin is his hire and not Nelson S. decision.

UL Football Re: The Jerry Baldwin Saga

Baldwin is!!!!!! A preacher that(not that there was ANY wrong doing) teaches his congregation to NOT turn the other cheek!!! What a holy man!!!

Baton Rouge where Baldwin coached and case was held!
    Baton Rouge where Southern and LSU have been at it for years(the great divide)!!
    Baton Rouge the great ULL sayers, USL callers, Lafayette turn there noses to us HATERS(not all but they are out there in numbers)

For those who served on a jury before, it is ALL too common for there to be a few strong personalities. If these personalities can get the just of either of the attourneys then they can swing the others in the jury.

Oates if he does not win the appeal would never take on a case for me I can assure you of this.

DaddyCajun

This WILL be appealed, and there will be NO Jury who can be swayed by emotion or feelings.

Default Re: Jury awards losingest Coach in UL History $2 million

Let me try and shed some light on some things.

This suit was originally thrown out by the same judge who heard this case. On appeal, it was reinstated to state court with the appeals court stating that a jury should hear it.

The jury was made up of six men and six women, six white and six black.

The jury, for the most part, knew nothing about sports.

There's no question that emotion, not facts, played the biggest role in the jury's decision. They found the University liable for breach of contract as well as racial discrimination.

Nelson was named personally in the lawsuit as well and as a result, is personally liable.

When you appeal something like this, only the facts mean anything. I am confident that JB will never see this kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    _ Let me try and shed some light on some things.

This suit was originally thrown out by the same judge who heard this case. On appeal, it was reinstated to state court with the appeals court stating that a jury should hear it.

The jury was made up of six men and six women, six white and six black.

The jury, for the most part, knew nothing about sports.

There's no question that emotion, not facts, played the biggest role in the jury's decision. They found the University liable for breach of contract as well as racial discrimination.

Nelson was named personally in the lawsuit as well and as a result, is personally liable.

When you appeal something like this, only the facts mean anything. I am confident that JB will never see this kind of money. _
    If the decision is upheld, NS is personally at risk.

The University's assets are immune from seizure because it is a state agency. In other words, the typical debt collection tactics that you would employ to enforce a judgment are useless against the State.

There is little Baldwin can do to compel the university to pay up.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    When you appeal something like this, only the facts mean anything. I am confident that JB will never see this kind of money. _
    He shouldn't get a dime.

If someone turns in a well below average performance at work over a three year period, they should be fired.ESPECIALLY when they leave the job/program significantly worse off than where they found it. This should be true, whether they are white, black, yellow, purple or green.

This seems like common sense to me, but what do I know?

What a travesty!! The university does not deserve this, nor the community, supporters, and fans of UL athletics. This kind of frivilous jurisprudence continues to jeopardize the athletic departments around the country and sends the wrong message to aspiring departments about hiring minorities. We now have set a precedent. Hire a minority with no accounability to improving and making financially stable a football program at risk and the universities, administration, and taxpayers become viable targets for punitive actions.

The die has been cast, the gauntlet run, the verdict passed. Let's all learn and move on. This is a black-eye (no pun) on UL and its un-dying supporters as well as all the fine minority coaches in college football that work hard everyday to build character and excellence in the young men they have cradled.

So much for bringing lawsuits against one's own brothers from the Christian perspective. This is indeed a SAD, SAD day.

Good Luck to the UL athletic programs!!

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMandy View Post
    _ So in other wordswe just lost our 3% gain for our athletes or is the University insured in some way for this kind of thing? _
    If the university has been run properly there is insurance against this sort of thing. Nelson S, atheltic director at the time, was and is an attorney. I believe the insurance companies will be paying most of whatever Baldwin gets.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGuru View Post
    _ Hammer,it's part of the legacy Doc has left us with. Remember, Baldwin is his hire and not Nelson S. decision. _
    No argument there.

And Stevie P clarified something for me this morning. The university did negotiate a TV and radio coach's show for JB. It was cancelled after year 2 because of lack of sponsor support due to the poor record and lack of interest. The sponsors, according to Stevie P, basically made a business decision that the return on the coach's show was not worth the investment. Maybe JB should have included the sponsors in his suit and labelled them racists also.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Up View Post
    _ What a travesty!! The university does not deserve this, nor the community, supporters, and fans of UL athletics. This kind of frivilous jurisprudence continues to jeopardize the athletic departments around the country and sends the wrong message to aspiring departments about hiring minorities. We now have set a precedent. Hire a minority with no accounability to improving and making financially stable a football program at risk and the universities, administration, and taxpayers become viable targets for punitive actions.

The die has been cast, the gauntlet run, the verdict passed. Let's all learn and move on. This is a black-eye (no pun) on UL and its un-dying supporters as well as all the fine minority coaches in college football that work hard everyday to build character and excellence in the young men they have cradled.

So much for bringing lawsuits against one's own brothers from the Christian perspective. This is indeed a SAD, SAD day.

Good Luck to the UL athletic programs!!
    _
    You are correct in your statements and thanks for the kind words.

However, the SAD and ironic thing is that we did it to ourselves by hiring the turd in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    _ You are correct in your statements and thanks for the kind words.

However, the SAD and ironic thing is that we did it to ourselves by hiring the turd in the first place. _
    HAHA

He said TURD!!

Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread Information