Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 . LastLast

Thread: The Jerry Baldwin Saga: 1998-2020

Default Re: Jury awards losingest Coach in UL History $2 million

You know the biggest issue in the firing was not the lack of "W"'s but rather the state of the program and the way the team was being run at the time. We have shown we are MORE than willing to put up with lack of W's But my recollection of the JB era is one of mass confusion on the sidelines sometimes 10 men on the field. sometimes 13. the lack of organization was not something that you could put in front of a jury but if they had seen it , they would have known the reason for the dismissal. JB was a fish out of water and had no clue how to run a team

anyone know what he is doing these days?? i.e. the days before the jury made him a millionaire?

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    _ You know the biggest issue in the firing was not the lack of "W"'s but rather the state of the program and the way the team was being run at the time. We have shown we are MORE than willing to put up with lack of W's But my recollection of the JB era is one of mass confusion on the sidelines sometimes 10 men on the field. sometimes 13. the lack of organization was not something that you could put in front of a jury but if they had seen it , they would have known the reason for the dismissal. JB was a fish out of water and had no clue how to run a team

anyone know what he is doing these days?? i.e. the days before the jury made him a millionaire? _
    He is a rich preacher. Jay said he drove to court in a $95,000 car. Can I get an AMEN???

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    _ He is a rich preacher in Texas. Jay said he drove to court in a $95,000 car. Can I get an AMEN??? _
    Actually, he is in Ruston.which is almost Arkansas.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun View Post
    _ If the decision is upheld, NS is personally at risk.

The University's assets are immune from seizure because it is a state agency. In other words, the typical debt collection tactics that you would employ to enforce a judgment are useless against the State.

There is little Baldwin can do to compel the university to pay up. _
    That's good to know.thanks for helping us understand.

5. Default Re: Jury awards losingest Coach in UL History $2 million

If we fire Bustle after this year would it be because he is white? Clearly we have a track record of racism at UL, as one of the first Universities in the south to integrate, letting talented minority players play their position (read: Brian Mitchell at QB when LSU wouldn't let him play QB b/c he is black), and of course we do have several black head coaches on staff now. This ruling slanders the university's good name as a respectable university who does not discriminate, but rather tries its best to as indiscriminate as possible. This whole thing makes me sick.
    Also, do we have the worst lawyers in the world?? How are they letting these things go on? Let's grow some damn balls and be proactive rather than reactive!

Default Who will sue Baldwin?

It's his fault we didn't go to games when he was the Head Coach! I want my money for missing out on some good tailgating, watching Cajun football!

SOMEONE NEEDS TO SUE BALDWIN FOR THAT!!!

GEAUX CAJUNS!!!

Thank You Doc!

Quote Originally Posted by geo_cajun View Post
    _ If we fire Bustle after this year would it be because he is white? Clearly we have a track record of racism at UL, as one of the first Universities in the south to integrate, letting talented minority players play their position (read: Brian Mitchell at QB when LSU wouldn't let him play QB b/c he is black), and of course we do have several black head coaches on staff now. This ruling slanders the university's good name as a respectable university who does not discriminate, but rather tries its best to as indiscriminate as possible. This whole thing makes me sick.
    Also, do we have the worst lawyers in the world?? How are they letting these things go on? Let's grow some damn balls and be proactive rather than reactive! _
    its easy, the rest of country has common law(I think), we have Napoleonic Code

Default Re: Who will sue Baldwin?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    It's his fault we didn't go to games when he was the Head Coach! I want my money for missing out on some good tailgating, watching Cajun football!

SOMEONE NEEDS TO SUE BALDWIN FOR THAT!!!

GEAUX CAJUNS!!!
    I'm with you.

If HE'S entitled damages for emotional distress think of how much emotional distress he's caused US!!

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I cannot make excuses for our horrible administration of athletics thru the years. but this lawsuit is just stupid. Baldwin was black when we hired him. How in the world can being black be the grounds for firing him? I completely agree that he was not given the tools to succeed. but what coach at UL ever has? Every coach we have ever had has succeeded, limited as it was, thru spite or personal pride.

I doubt any significant money will change hands. I am far less upset about that than the press this has garnered our university. We, the alumni, friends and family, and students just do not deserve this.

As for Baldwin's arguments of breach of contract. can you imagine some of the coaches that have had contracts or breached the contracts themselves. in comparison to this case? What a joke. What a complete joke. $2 million on breach of contract? Did his lawyer extrapolate his income out for a 15-year contract extension, or the lost opportunity for the "numerous" head coaching positions he passed on in taking the UL job?

This is a testament to the failure of our current jury system. We need to revamp and go to a professional jury system. The "judged by your peers" just ain't cutting it. I fear the day I might get judged by these "peers". The average person on the street now is so stupid about almost anything of substance, other than who is on American Idol, that we cannot possibly expect anything better than "Jury awards losingest Coach in UL History $2 million".

Most hard working people won't gross $2 million in a lifetime. We are setting examples in our society that being a victim is the most monetarily profitable profession one can aspire to achieve. Anyone want to write a book or develop marketable CD series for the "top 10 ways to become a victim and achieve your financial dreams"?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Most hard working people won't gross $2 million in a lifetime. We are setting examples in our society that being a victim is the most monetarily profitable profession one can aspire to achieve.
    J.1.M., you have nailed it on the button. Today, I feel violated by the system and hurt deeply for the good fans at UL rendered helpless by that same inept system. However, I have recently read a book by an honorable African-American by the name of James McWhorter, linguistics professor at Cal-Berkley. The name of the book is "Losing the Race". and he courageously looks at his own heritage and his own culture and how it has imploded. The key word he uses is "victimology." See the synopsis below; it is a worthy read for people that aspire to want to understand and solve rather than sue the problems.

Are African-Americans using past racial injustices as an excuse for not working to take advantage of contemporary opportunities? McWhorter, a linguistics professor at the University of California, Berkeley, thinks he has the answers to this question and others and he points the finger directly at the black community. Starting with the premise that white racism is no longer the threat it once was, McWhorter singles out "the cult of victimology" and the glorification of white racism as a major cause for several social crises afflicting African-Americans. Offering little that has not been said previously by conservatives like Pat Buchanan and Shelby Steele, McWhorter uses a cookie-cutter approach to explain away recent race pressure points such as the arson directed against black churches, the high proportion of black inmates in America's prisons, the practice of racial profiling and police brutality. In each case, he finds fault with the African-American community's interpretation of these situations, accusing African-Americans of hypersensitivity to racial bias and a reluctance to relinquish the past. Victimology, as well as separatism, in his words, "gives failure, lack of effort and criminality a tacit stamp of approval." Like many of the new black conservatives, McWhorter spends much time going after liberal columnists and social critics, attacking both their intent and message. Even his closing segment "How Can We Save the African-American Race?"sounds more like a well-worn campaign speech than a call to initiate a dialogue on race in the African-American community and the nation.

"Why is it that the "race" card is always played and impugns the integrity of the good African-American people wanting to make a true mark in this world?" Does anyone ever remember Ty Winningham suing Notre Dame when he was released for "lack of performance?" Somehow, I don't think this happened.

When UL takes the proactive step to courageously hire the first African-American coach in the Sun Belt Conference, buys out his final year on his contract, and then gets raked over the coals for holding to the higher ideals of Dr. Martin Luther King and then gets "vandalized" to the tune of 2 MILLION DOLLARS - - something is horribly, horribly wrong!!

Quote Originally Posted by geo_cajun View Post
    _ If we fire Bustle after this year would it be because he is white? Clearly we have a track record of racism at UL, as one of the first Universities in the south to integrate, letting talented minority players play their position (read: Brian Mitchell at QB when LSU wouldn't let him play QB b/c he is black), and of course we do have several black head coaches on staff now. This ruling slanders the university's good name as a respectable university who does not discriminate, but rather tries its best to as indiscriminate as possible. This whole thing makes me sick.
    Also, do we have the worst lawyers in the world?? How are they letting these things go on? Let's grow some damn balls and be proactive rather than reactive! _
    Good point. Beryl Shipley was the first coach to recruit blacks in basketball and LSU was lily white. When Beryl started kicking butt, seems the other schools thought it may be a good idea too.

When we got as high as # 4 in the polls when Bo Lamar was here, the state went ballistic and found ways to shut us down. I'm sure there were violations but I've heard stories of some of the goings on at Losing State University that would make your hairs stand on end, and they for the most part have gotten away with it.

I'm real disappointed that our outgoing governor has never stood up for our area like she should have. Everyone in power in this state bows down to whatever will help themselves. Politics as usual.

Back to this though, anyone is nuts if they think race played a part in Baldwin's firing.

Of all the places I've lived and visited, cajun country is the least racial I've ever seen and that because the cajuns know their heritage and how they were banned from Nova Scotia and are tolerant and understanding of others. That more than anything makes me proud to be a coonass.

We made ESPN College FB Headlines:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3070227

I am disgusted by this. Shame on the citizens of Baton Rouge for delivering such a ridiculous verdict. If this had been tried in Lafayette, he would not have received a dime. Damn shame that this is taking up our time on the day before Homecoming.

Quote Originally Posted by bjc6267 View Post
    _ We made ESPN College FB Headlines:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3070227

I am disgusted by this. Shame on the citizens of Baton Rouge for delivering such a ridiculous verdict. If this had been tried in Lafayette, he would not have received a dime. Damn shame that this is taking up our time on the day before Homecoming. _
    Check out the comments at the bottom.

Default Re: Who will sue Baldwin?

I'm thinking about it. Let's get us a class-action suit going on here.

Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 . LastLast

Thread Information