Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 . LastLast

Thread: The Jerry Baldwin Saga: 1998-2020

UL Football Re: Louisiana vs Baldwin

Troy you are a fool for this thread. I heard Jay Walker say @ 3:30 that he had talked to a lawyer on the case for UL. His prognosis was good. From what i have read they are non factual charges.

Go Louisiana

2. Support Jury awards losingest Coach in UL History $2 million

After deliberating about 10 hours today, a Baton Rouge jury awarded $2 million to former ULL head football coach Jerry Baldwin.

Baldwin filed the suit in 19th Judicial District Court, claiming the decision by the University of Louisiana at Lafayette to fire him in 2001 was discriminatory.

The award is for past and future wages and general damages, including emotional distress.

Baldwin, the university’s first black head football coach, said he was just beginning to turn around the school’s football program. In his three years, the teams had a record of 6-27.

Named as defendants are ULL, the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System and the university’s athletic director, Nelson Schexnayder.

The source of the story

This is Upsetting Re: Jury awards Baldwin $2 million

Who'da thunk it? I actually had a sneaky suspicion that it could come to this.where will the 2M come from?

Default Re: Jury awards Baldwin $2 million

What's unfortunate about this absurd ruling is it will force colleges to think long and hard before hiring minorities.

I'm SICK

Default Re: Louisiana vs Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by BrudaCajun View Post
    _ Troy you are a fool for this thread. I heard Jay Walker say @ 3:30 that he had talked to a lawyer on the case for UL. His prognosis was good. From what i have read they are non factual charges.

Go Louisiana _
    Nope, the jury is out and the news is a bummer for Cajun fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ How many jobs has Baldwin applied for and been turned down? How much income did he miss out on? What were the schools?

In my opinion Jerry Baldwin came to UL a bitter man with a smile.

While at LSU he was an assistant head coach from 1993-95 that was demoted to defensive coordinator that was demoted to defensive ends coach. _
    So, I wonder if the jury ruled that descrimination was a factor or that buying out the contract hurt his future job options. I just don't see the race card when UL had hired Baldwin and Jesse Evans and Robert Lee.The record of descrimination is just not there.

This is the biggest pile of bull____ i have ever seen. He didn't get fired cuase he was black he was fired because he was a horrible head coach. How could anyone give him money after look at what he did over the 3 years he was here. BULL____

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    This is the biggest pile of bull____ i have ever seen. He didn't get fired cuase he was black he was fired because he was a horrible head coach. How could anyone give him money after look at what he did over the 3 years he was here. BULL____
    I am outraged.

Dr. A should resign.

Oh, wait.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

This exemplifies the problem with our judicial system. You have got to be kidding me!

Can you say "OJ Jury"? I'd like to know what the make-up of this jury was. I hope it can be appealed. What an injustice

I was wondering where the money will come from. Did we just lose our 3% gain to some yahoo. I find it very interesting that a jury in Baton Rouge came down with that decision. Smells fishy to me. Hope it is goes to appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMandy View Post
    I was wondering where the money will come from. Did we just lose our 3% gain to some yahoo. I find it very interesting that a jury in Baton Rouge came down with that decision. Smells fishy to me. Hope it is goes to appeal.
    I'll explain the Baton Rouge part.

UL is a state agency.

Venue for lawsuits against state agencies is in Baton Rouge.

Baldwin's first win was to file in BR and take the case away from the people who saw his incompetance first hand.

I don't understand the rationale in placing the case before a jury because a plaintiff does not have the right to a jury trial against a state agency. The fact that it was a jury trial means that UL must have agreed to a jury.

It did not help that EBR has a more liberal jury pool than Lafayette.

What you should place your faith in is the hands of the district court judge who originally threw the case out. There are a few post trial motions available to UL (JNOV, New Trial).

I'd rather be going to the First Circuit trying to defend a successful post trial motion than trying to overturn the jury verdict. The standard of review is different.

If it is a factual determination, the court of appeal generally won't touch it unless the error in judgment was such that "no reasonable person could differ" on the conclusion. If the facts are subject to varying interpretations, the court of appeal is not going to overturn it just because one version is better.

In otherwords, if "reasonable minds could differ" the court won't touch a jury fact finding.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun View Post
    _ I'll explain the Baton Rouge part.

UL is a state agency.

Venue for lawsuits against state agencies is in Baton Rouge.

Baldwin's first win was to file in BR and take the case away from the people who saw his incompetance first hand.

I don't understand the rationale in placing the case before a jury because a plaintiff does not have the right to a jury trial against a state agency. The fact that it was a jury trial means that UL must have agreed to a jury.

It did not help that EBR has a more liberal jury pool than Lafayette.

What you should place your faith in is the hands of the district court judge who originally threw the case out. There are a few post trial motions available to UL (JNOV, New Trial).

I'd rather be going to the First Circuit trying to defend a successful post trial motion than trying to overturn the jury verdict. The standard of review is different.

If it is a factual determination, the court of appeal generally won't touch it unless the error in judgment was such that "no reasonable person could differ" on the conclusion. If the facts are subject to varying interpretations, the court of appeal is not going to overturn it just because one version is better.

In otherwords, if "reasonable minds could differ" the court won't touch a jury fact finding. _
    So in other wordswe just lost our 3% gain for our athletes or is the University insured in some way for this kind of thing?

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

he sued the school, not the athletic dept.

I wonder what robert lee's take is on this.

Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 . LastLast

Thread Information