Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 . LastLast

Thread: The Jerry Baldwin Saga: 1998-2020

UL Football Lets hire Jerry Baldwin

as defensive coordinator

Default Re: Lets hire Jerry Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by LLcoolway View Post
    as defensive coordinator

UL Football Louisiana vs Baldwin

Who will win the case that should have never been? Will Louisiana or Baldwin the "Preacher"--turn the other cheek man win? Case could be determined as early as the 6 p.m. news so vote quickly!!!

DaddyCajun

Default Re: Louisiana vs Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun View Post
    _ Who will win the case that should have never been? Will Louisiana or Baldwin the "Preacher"--turn the other cheek man win? Case could be determined as early as the 6 p.m. news so vote quickly!!!

DaddyCajun _
    Sometimes, I seriously wonder about our legal system. Well, maybe more than sometimes. :-)

I sure hope you guys win it.

Doc

5. UL Football Fired UL coach blocked from success, jury told

An attorney for a former head football coach at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette told jurors Wednesday a sorry football program had begun to show promise when the coach was axed for racially discriminatory reasons.

Jerry Baldwin is seeking damages in a lawsuit alleging discrimination and breach of contract.

The lawsuit, filed in 19th Judicial District Court in Baton Rouge, names as defendants the university, the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System and the university’s athletic director, Nelson Schexnayder.

Baldwin’s attorney, G. Karl Bernard, said the coach inherited a bankrupt program with few quality athletes and poor equipment and university officials did little to help him turn the program into a success.

In the end, Baldwin lost his job because the officials did not want a black man as head coach, the attorney claimed.

Bernard’s comments came during the trial’s closing arguments late Wednesday afternoon.

State District Judge Don Johnson will instruct the jurors on the law today, then deliberations should begin in the weeklong racial discrimination trial.

UL officials fired Baldwin in 2001 after three years as coach.

University attorney Steve Oats told jurors that Baldwin was fired because the football program was not progressing.

During Baldwin’s three seasons, the teams had a record of 6-27.

The rest of the story

By ADRIAN ANGELETTE
    Advocate staff writer

Quote Originally Posted by McNeese72 View Post
    _ Sometimes, I seriously wonder about our legal system. Well, maybe more than sometimes. :-)

I sure hope you guys win it.

Doc _
    LOL!!! If we could win this thread wouldn't be.

Default Re: The Jerry Baldwin saga

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    In the three years since Nelson Schexnayder's interesting decision to hire Jerry Baldwin, _
    Where did you get that piece of information?

8. Default Re: The Jerry Baldwin saga

If baldwin was such a good coach, why isnt he coaching anywhereanywhere since being let go from UL?

maybe we can hire RC?

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan View Post
    _ If baldwin was such a good coach, why isnt he coaching anywhereanywhere since being let go from UL? _
    UL must not be the only racist university out there. I smell a class action.

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    UL must not be the only racist university out there. I smell a class action.
    It's a conspiracy!!!!

It's a conspiracy!!!!

It's a conspiracy!!!!

UL won't hire him and he's now personna non grata in the coaching ranks!!

Sue 'em all Baldwin, sue 'em all.

Why aren't all these D1A programs knocking down Baldwin's door?

Can't someone give him a chance?

He'll do for their program what he did for ours!

I'm still trying to figure out how it went to court. Isn't there a statute of limitations that has probably expired a long time ago?

If the judge is Liberal, Baldwin probably wins.

If not, UL probably wins.

pretty simple

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    If the judge is Liberal, Baldwin probably wins.

If not, UL probably wins.

pretty simple
    Unfortunately this is a jury trial. Although I'm at a loss as to how it is a jury trial because plaintiffs do not have a right to a jury in actions against the state and its subdivisions. La. R.S. 13:5105.

I just re-read the 1st Circuit's decision that allowed the trial to go forward. Apparently, its the following facts that the court thought included some discrimatory intent:

1 we did not have a marketing director or a fundraising guru after Baldwin year 1

2 we hired a marketing director and a fundraiser for Bustle.

That's it. Its a G-d d-mn catch 22.

If we don't hire a marketing director (some one tell me who this is?) or a fundraiser (I assume this is Gerald Hebert) we suck even worse but Baldwin has no case.

But if we do make these hires, its not because it'll benefit the program, its because we wanted to keep the Rev. Plaintiff down.

Bull____!!

Here's what the court said:

The facts asserted by both Mr. Baldwin and ULL are open to different interpretations. For example, different motives can be attributed to the decision not to hire another marketing director during Mr. Baldwin's tenure as head coach, allegedly for financial reasons, and the hiring of a marketing director and fundraiser shortly after Mr. Baldwin was removed. The decision could be seen as an indirect method of weakening Mr. Baldwin's attempts to improve support for the team, or may have been a totally financial decision. Similarly, the testimony on the number of variables used by the school in grading the team's performance other than the win/loss record, and the reliance on "money games" as well as the sale of game tickets to improve the budget, could cast doubt on the legitimacy of two of the bases given by ULL for Mr. Baldwin's removal. On the other hand, after the trial court makes various credibility determinations, ULL's decision to remove Mr. Baldwin from his duties as head coach may be found to have a legitimate, non-discriminatory basis. Also, even though a former coach was alerted to the school's concerns and given an opportunity to improve, the failure to alert Mr. Baldwin to ULL's dissatisfaction with the football program's progress may have no basis in discrimination. However, if the disparate treatment was a decision based on discrimination, it is unlawful. In summary, these inquiries, which require credibility decisions and determinations of reasonableness of conduct, and motive and intent, are not ripe for summary judgment.

Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 . LastLast

Thread Information