Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 . LastLast

Thread: The Jerry Baldwin Saga: 1998-2020

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Not an April Fools Joke: The ongoing Jerry Baldwin Saga

That "with benefits" part is what the NCAA is constantly trying to nail us with and is what Dr. A constantly fought against, although I think he took it WAY too far. What Doc T-Joe needs to do now is put together a committee to start a 100 million dollar sports foundation in exactly the same way Dr. A built up our 100+ million dollar academic foundation.

(Oh yeah, and let those guys do their JOB!!! )

2. Default Re: Not an April Fools Joke: The ongoing Jerry Baldwin Saga

Man ---I guess the "Little knowledge of a subject is dangerous" applies to your assertion of my post---Just a reminder of how stupid this suit is and of what a joke for the same suit of racism to be filed at LSU in the Brady firing!!!! Take a chill pill and don't read into a post something that you have no idea of the reasons for its being posted!!!! After all the things in my life that I have endurded over my stance on the race issue --It is insinuated my being a racist---AAAH sorry pal!!!!

3. Default UL takes Baldwin decision to Court of Appeals

On Wednesday, a judge denied UL's request for a new trial in its battle against discrimination claims made by former head football coach Jerry Baldwin.

The university is now calling upon the First Circuit Court of Appeals to decide on the matter. UL attorneys filed the appeal after 19th Judicial District Judge Don Johnson denied a motion for another trial Wednesday.

"We are pleased that we can now bring this to the Court of Appeals and right this wrong," said Larry Marino, one of the attorneys representing UL in the case. "UL's got a long and proud history of diversity, racial diversity, not least of which was hiring Coach Baldwin in the first place. After a 6-27 record, we let him go, and there was not a stitch of evidence that his race was a reason that he was fired and that will come out in appeal."

The rest of the story

Marsha Sills • msills@theadvertiser.com • July 10, 2008

4. Default Re: Jerry Baldwin

If this suit stands . . . Baldwin will have been paid $416,666 for every win he produced at UL.

Back when Baldwin was refired from duty the highest paid football coach in the NCAA was Steve Spurrier with a 2.1 million dollar contract. He won 10 games in 2001 and so was paid $210,000 per win.

Moral of the story? Perhaps good coaches are cheaper than bad coaches.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UL takes Baldwin decision to Court of Appeals

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    LOL! Check out the comments section. The colonel and Alcajun let everyone know in NO uncertain terms that even ______es can get an 8th grade education!

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ LOL! Check out the comments section. The colonel and Alcajun let everyone know in NO uncertain terms that even ______es can get an 8th grade education!

Z _
    I noticed the comments under the article and got a good chuckle from those idiots.

I would like to see the court papers for this case. I would just like to see how Baldwin was treated unfairly or wrongfully terminated. When I first heard about this lawsuit, I seriously laughed thinking that Baldwin was just bitter and looking for a buck. But then he actually won the suit and it went from funny to bewilderment. The fact that the University was one of the first University's in the South to encourage the advancement of African Americans in athletics would do something like this is a head scratcher. No matter the outcome of the Appeal, the damage is done, I don't know how much the University had payed for legal fees but i'm sure it's a good bit. We got one black eye when we didn't win with this clown, and now we've got another one from this suit. It's sad and sickening.

7. Default Baldwin lawyer speaks on case

UL's appeal to the 1st Circuit Court has former football coach Jerry Baldwin's lawyer unphased.

"We believe that the 1st Circuit Court of Appeal will find that the jury's verdict was in fact based upon sound competent evidence," said Karl Bernard, Baldwin's attorney.

The rest of the story

Marsha Sills • msills@theadvertiser.com • July 11, 2008

Default Re: Baldwin lawyer speaks on case

"the jury's verdict was in fact based upon sound competent evidence"_ _
    Duh, the only "evidence" in this fiasco is "6-27" and whatever the contract said about compensation.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Louisiana Campus Re: UL takes Baldwin decision to Court of Appeals

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    I noticed the comments under the article and got a good chuckle from those idiots.

I would like to see the court papers for this case. I would just like to see how Baldwin was treated unfairly or wrongfully terminated. When I first heard about this lawsuit, I seriously laughed thinking that Baldwin was just bitter and looking for a buck. But then he actually won the suit and it went from funny to bewilderment. The fact that the University was one of the first University's in the South to encourage the advancement of African Americans in athletics would do something like this is a head scratcher. No matter the outcome of the Appeal, the damage is done, I don't know how much the University had payed for legal fees but i'm sure it's a good bit. We got one black eye when we didn't win with this clown, and now we've got another one from this suit. It's sad and sickening.
    You do know that his attny Karl Bernard is a former UL player? Just a reminderThanks Doc A!

10. Default Re: The Jerry Baldwin saga continues

I wonder if Jay would be willing to write the next UL expose' "Fumbled: The Jerry Baldwin Saga" detailing the events leading to the hiring of Baldwin and the subsequent lawsuit.

11. Default Re: The Jerry Baldwin saga continues

LOL a sequel of an idea.

We only have to wait another 25 years to discover the lost documents
    igeaux.mobi

12. Default Re: UL takes Baldwin decision to Court of Appeals

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ You do know that his attny Karl Bernard is a former UL player? Just a reminderThanks Doc A! _
    Karl Bernard transfered from lsu. I question his allegiance but not his "ambulance chasing" abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCharlie View Post
    Karl Bernard transfered from lsu. I question his allegiance but not his "ambulance chasing" abilities.

LOL!! That is correct!

Z

14. Default In round II UL will defend itself better against Baldwin.

The University of Louisiana is appealing a jury decision that the university must pay fired football coach Jerry Baldwin $2 million in damages after the panel determined race was among the reasons for his 2001 dismissal.

Baldwin was the first Black head football coach at a major Louisiana university. A district court jury decided 10-2 in October that he was owed damages for discrimination, emotional distress and breach of contract.

UL's attorney, Larry Marino, took the case to the state's First Circuit Court of Appeal on Wednesday after District Judge Don Johnson denied Marino's request for a retrial.

The rest of the story

Diverse

Default Re: In round II UL will defend itself better against Baldwin.

_ _
    Yeah Luckily that News Copy was in the sports section of USA F*ing Today! I was just taking a sip of some good ole' CC's Coffee when I open up the sports page and read this and about spit my coffee out. Great now the entire country knows about this debacle. I hope this gets overturned in appeals, although we've already probably payed 2 mil. to our lawyers so we pretty much would win to say we win.

Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 . LastLast

Thread Information