Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 . LastLast

Thread: The Jerry Baldwin Saga: 1998-2020

Ragin' Cajuns Re: The ongoing Jerry Baldwin Saga

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMandy View Post
    _ He's laughin all the way to the bank. Wonder how much of his "ministries" will see this cash or if he'll use it as a non profit to avoid taxes. People who deserve to be compensated for a loss in their lives I truely have nothing against but this guy .it is just shameful. _
    HE AIN'T GOT IT YET, REMEMBER, WE ARE APPEALING THIS. NOW IF IT IS APPEALED IN BATON ROUGE, MIGHT AS WELL GO AHEAD AND GIVE HIM THE MONEY.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: The ongoing Jerry Baldwin Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ This can't possibly hold up under appeal. I wouldn't be surprised to see his attorney request a settlement (undisclosed), in order to shut this thing down. If Baldwin risks taking this the distance, he isn't going to see a dime for years, mount some hefty attorney fees, and put a substantial portion of this award in jeopardy.

I do agree, however, to join in a class action lawsuit against him, should he be awarded more than $150k in the end. I cannot imagine a jury able to withstand the tearful tale of the agony, heartbreak, sleepless nights, loss of appetite, emotional distress, embarassment, disalusionment, pain and suffering, lost wages and opportunity, marrital strife, mental torture, physical agony and more. that Baldwin's football program put me thru.

I would have been POTUS by now. I would have defeated Iraq with a near perfect democracy set up in the aftermath, ended global warming, eliminated terrorism, cleared up the traffic issues in Lafayette, there would be no pepper on any UL clothing, and the remodeled 100,000 seat Cajun Field would once again be serving large portions of alcoholic beverages from its open bar concessions (the bathrooms would be clean and have an ample supply of paper towels to boot).

The world simply does not know what chain of events Baldwin's horrible coaching prevented or caused.

But, after he gives up the suit. I wish him well. _
    BRAVO . BRAVO. I am laughing my *ss off.

Default Re: The ongoing Jerry Baldwin Saga

Class action suit against Baldwin. Where can I sign up?

4. Default Pepper Funding

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    "Baldwin also claims.cut the football equipment budget and took $25,000 donated to the football program to use for other purposes in the athletic department."
    I was once told by a UL person with authority that the Pepper cost of the UL Athletic Department $25,000

The logo/mascot effort was to raise moral and attitude which is often the 1st step needed to get support for a program, any program.

The cost came up in a conversation about why I thought they should get rid of the Pepper as a mascot. In the course of the conversation the main reason given for keeping the pepper not wanting to have to claim a wasted investment. The $25,000 already spent was the reason given for keeping it, plus not having the money to do it again.

Whether this was for the entire hot wheels, flame, pepper logo, and pepper mascot project I was not told. $25,000 sounds like a lot for just the mascot but sounds very reasonable for the entire concept.

Whether or not the pepper was a good move is almost not debatable to say the least. HOWEVER if you look at the goal they were trying to accomplish, boost image, school spirit, identity, rallying point, coordinated clothing, unique numbers etc. . and on and on . . . it seems to me they were attempting to give coach Baldwin a HUGE gift.

To me this effort during the Baldwin regime was a gift, an endorsement, a promotional item, like no coach has gotten before or since.

Now it may have been done with a totally different $25,000 but the fact remains that this internal promotional effort all went down during the Baldwin tenure. that fact alone sort of undoes his clams of total neglect.

jmo

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Pepper Funding

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ I was once told by a UL person with authority that the Pepper cost of the UL Athletic Department $25,000

The logo/mascot effort was to raise moral and attitude which is often the 1st step needed to get support for a program, any program.

The cost came up in a conversation about why I thought they should get rid of the Pepper as a mascot. In the course of the conversation the main reason given for keeping the pepper not wanting to have to claim a wasted investment. The $25,000 already spent was the reason given for keeping it, plus not having the money to do it again.

Whether this was for the entire hot wheels, flame, pepper logo, and pepper mascot project I was not told. $25,000 sounds like a lot for just the mascot but sounds very reasonable for the entire concept.

Whether or not the pepper was a good move is almost not debatable to say the least. HOWEVER if you look at the goal they were trying to accomplish, boost image, school spirit, identity, rallying point, coordinated clothing, unique numbers etc. . and on and on . . . it seems to me they were attempting to give coach Baldwin a HUGE gift.

To me this effort during the Baldwin regime was a gift, an endorsement, a promotional item, like no coach has gotten before or since.

Now it may have been done with a totally different $25,000 but the fact remains that this internal promotional effort all went down during the Baldwin tenure. that fact alone sort of undoes his clams of total neglect.

jmo _
    I had heard something a little different. I had heard that it was the UPC that was doing the purchasing of these costumes, or at least picking out what they looked like. I heard that they bought one, used it for about a year, and that it costed in excess of $8k. The they bought a new one that may have cost about double that amount. I think now, they are on #3, and that one also cost in the $15k range. I don't ahve any sources to back this up, but this is what I "heard".

I'm telling you guys, use that nice fleur de lis as our main logo, sans fire. and use it as as Ut does with the longhorn. Its no wonder why the powers that be don't want us to succeed, they are too concerned with us winning and using our pepper BS, and representing the state as some sort of Bush League gimmick thing (some sarcasm inserted for effect). And, if we need a mascot to walk around and play with the kids, then dress up someone in a red gator costume.

(pardon my negativity on this afternoons posts, Its been a long day and I'm in a poor mood)

Default Re: Pepper Funding

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    _I'm telling you guys, use that nice fleur de lis as our main logo, sans fire. and use it as as Ut does with the longhorn. Its no wonder why the powers that be don't want us to succeed, they are too concerned with us winning and using our pepper BS, and representing the state as some sort of Bush League gimmick thing (some sarcasm inserted for effect). And, if we need a mascot to walk around and play with the kids, then dress up someone in a red gator costume.

(pardon my negativity on this afternoons posts, Its been a long day and I'm in a poor mood) _

RIGHT ON !!!!!

Everywhere we have a flaming vegetable, it should be replaced with a red and white fleur-de-lis or an interlocking UL.

The more we junk everything up with the flames, and the yellow, the more bush league we look.

Some people need to remember we are THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA

7. Default Re: The ongoing Jerry Baldwin Saga

Lawyers for the University of Louisiana at Lafayette say since some members of the jury can not remember how they voted when they awarded former football coach Jerry Baldwin $2 million last year.

The rest of the story
    KATC

8. Default Baldwin judgment stands

A judge on Monday shot down an effort by attorneys for the University of Louisiana at Lafayette to attack the $2 million verdict awarded to former football coach Jerry Baldwin.

Baldwin, UL’s first black head football coach, won the verdict last year in a lawsuit alleging he was fired in 2001 for racial reasons.

The university has maintained the coach was let go because of his losing record of 6-27 in three seasons.

UL attorneys had hoped to call into question the verdict because two jurors could not recall their votes on all of the more than 20 questions the jury was asked to answer when deciding the case.

Nineteenth Judicial District Judge Don Johnson ruled in Baton Rouge on Monday that regardless of whether each juror remembered how they voted on each question after deliberating 10 hours, the jury’s agreement with the overall decision seemed clear.

Baldwin’s attorney, G. Karl Bernard, had noted that all the jurors remembered their vote on the $2 million damage award when questioned by the judge after trial.

The rest of the story

By RICHARD BURGESS
    Advocate Acadiana bureau

How is this possible? THe guy was one of the worst coaches in UL history, he plays the race card and is now going to be a millionaire.

WOW. What has this country come to.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    _ How is this possible? THe guy was one of the worst coaches in UL history, he plays the race card and is now going to be a millionaire.

WOW. What has this country come to. _
    "The jury voted that race was not the sole reason for Baldwin’s termination but it did play a role in the university’s decision"

This is something I will never understand. by this statement, they are agreeing that the school had reason to fire him. Yet, they think he deserves some sort of restituion anyway?

Maybe I'm missing something.maybe one of the attorney's out there could enlighten me. Turbine??? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    How is this possible? THe guy was one of the worst coaches in UL history, he plays the race card and is now going to be a millionaire.

WOW. What has this country come to.
    Not so fast my friend.

The TRIAL court denied the motion for new trial.

UL still may appeal the decision to the First Circuit in B.R.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun View Post
    _ Not so fast my friend.

The TRIAL court denied the motion for new trial.

UL still may appeal the decision to the First Circuit in B.R. _
    If they have to they will go to the La State Supreme Court. That's an awful lot of money plus interest hanging out there. Can you compute the total amount to date?

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    If they have to they will go to the La State Supreme Court. That's an awful lot of money plus interest hanging out there. Can you compute the total amount to date?
    From the state bar judicial interest rate calculator

http://www.lsba.org/newintcalc.htm

08/19/2007 - 12/31/2007 $ 70,273.97(135 days @ $520.55/daily @ 9.500%/year)
    01/01/2008 - 04/01/2008 $ 42,732.24(92 days @ $464.48/daily @ 8.500%/year)

For a total of $ 113,006.21

Don't worry about the money. Season ticket holders are going to be charged a fee for season tickets each of the next five years. You've heard of the Ragin Cajun Club dues. We all get Baldwin Club Dues. (Jerry has agreed to tithe the customary 10% of all proceeds to the church of his choice)

With the Club Membership each ticket holder will receive:

1 box of toothpics and

all the left over Jerry Balwin Era Empty Stadium popcorn you can eat.

15. Default Re: The ongoing Jerry Baldwin Saga

How many of these appel or Sup CT judges are LSUers???? Maybe I should have stayed in Law school and gotten the LSU bball coach to file a suit that talked about the pressure to resign because he was white and coached a mostly black bball team!!!!! What a joke!!!!

Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 . LastLast

Thread Information