Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Thread: Chris Gradnigo Granted Transfer Release by UL

Default Re: Chris Gradnigo Granted Transfer Release by UL

thet must have promised he could keep his 200,000 frequent flyer miles to conference games

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ The playing close to home angle makes sense. It is similar to our situation as to how we got JJ Thomas away from SFA. With his mom in Opelousas, we also had a "close to home" situation work in our favor. I recall reading that
    Thomas signed with SFA back in November during last year's early signing period. La Tech was one of the schools on him back then. I wonder if better known programs would have gone after him had he waited until the spring to sign. Reason I say that is that no one knew he would be named Louisiana's
    5A player of the year prior to last season. _

Mike, you have to remember that Thomas is a bit undersized for the given skill set he possesses. He is 6'4"-6'5" and 220ish. He's a big, thick kid who played in the paint in high school. He's not going to have the perimeter game to play the SG in college and PF is a bit of a reach for a kid that height. He's going to primarily play the SF in college and there's a lot of talent at that position in the high school ranks. You are right though, he did come on late and had a great second half of the season and playoffs but he's likely viewed as a tweener.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Mike, you have to remember that Thomas is a bit undersized for the given skill set he possesses. He is 6'4"-6'5" and 220ish. He's a big, thick kid who played in the paint in high school. He's not going to have the perimeter game to play the SG in college and PF is a bit of a reach for a kid that height. He's going to primarily play the SF in college and there's a lot of talent at that position in the high school ranks. You are right though, he did come on late and had a great second half of the season and playoffs but he's likely viewed as a tweener. _
    If he is an athletic player and can defend at a high level he will be successful. I think he could be a poor mans version of Dwayne Mitchell, well I hope he turns out to be like Mitchell.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ If he is an athletic player and can defend at a high level he will be successful. I think he could be a poor mans version of Dwayne Mitchell, well I hope he turns out to be like Mitchell. _
    Right now, Thomas is 6-4, 230. He can play on the perimeter - he was Scotlandville's top shooter last season - and is improving his skills as a ball-handler. The good thing is that he doesn't have to step in and carry the program right away. He can fill a role and develop in time.

Something that is being a little overlooked here is that Marlin didn't have to take Thomas. Obviously, Marlin liked the guy's attitude and believed that he had the intangibles to fit into his system. Marlin has proven in the past that he could win with versatile athletes that could present mismatches on the court. He sees something in Thomas, otherwise he wouldn't give him a chance, regardless of whether he was the Class 5A MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ Right now, Thomas is 6-4, 230. He can play on the perimeter - he was Scotlandville's top shooter last season - and is improving his skills as a ball-handler. The good thing is that he doesn't have to step in and carry the program right away. He can fill a role and develop in time.

Something that is being a little overlooked here is that Marlin didn't have to take Thomas. Obviously, Marlin liked the guy's attitude and believed that he had the intangibles to fit into his system. Marlin has proven in the past that he could win with versatile athletes that could present mismatches on the court. He sees something in Thomas, otherwise he wouldn't give him a chance, regardless of whether he was the Class 5A MVP. _

Parrot if you get a chance, you need to check out his little brother, "PANCAKE" he is a player. He is now 6'5" slimmer than JJ, but more guard oriented...

I've heard good things about him. But what's more important is that Marlin and his staff know about him!

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ I've heard good things about him. But what's more important is that Marlin and his staff know about him!

igeaux.mobi _
    Josh any idea of any rising seniors, actually I guess seniors now that the staff is targeting....

Thanks.

UL Basketball Re: Chris Gradnigo Granted Transfer Release by UL

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Mike, you have to remember that Thomas is a bit undersized for the given skill set he possesses. He is 6'4"-6'5" and 220ish. He's a big, thick kid who played in the paint in high school. He's not going to have the perimeter game to play the SG in college and PF is a bit of a reach for a kid that height. He's going to primarily play the SF in college and there's a lot of talent at that position in the high school ranks. You are right though, he did come on late and had a great second half of the season and playoffs but he's likely viewed as a tweener. _
    Wasn"t Brian Hamilton 6'-5"? I think we'll all agree he was a beast on the court for us ... the size of the fight in the man is more important than the size of the man in the fight! I trust Coach Marlin will improve every player on our team that wants to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    _ Wasn"t Brian Hamilton 6'-5"? I think we'll all agree he was a beast on the court for us ... the size of the fight in the man is more important than the size of the man in the fight! I trust Coach Marlin will improve every player on our team that wants to improve. _

I thought Brian was closer to 6'6" but that's truly not the point. The point was made that his size coupled with the fact that he was more of an interior player in H.S. and liked playing with his back to the basket is likely what kept a lot of larger schools away from him. If you saw my original post, you saw that I mentioned he is quite a dynamic young player and feel he was a great steal for this program. I'm not dismissing his abilities but rather assuming that those features are what kept some larger programs away perhaps.

dwayne mitchell was a six five type player who actually carried the team by himself at times. I believe he played every position on the court at one time or another. it really is about the size of the fight in the dog. i want to see what coach marlin can do with this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by randyleb View Post
    _ dwayne mitchell was a six five type player who actually carried the team by himself at times. I believe he played every position on the court at one time or another. it really is about the size of the fight in the dog. i want to see what coach marlin can do with this kid. _

Dwayne Mitchell was a PG,SG with good transition skills. I'm not saying that Thomas cannot be a perimeter player, I'm just saying that his success in HS came mostly from the interior and that likely kept a lot of bigger schools away..GEEZ

Quote Originally Posted by randyleb View Post
    _ dwayne mitchell was a six five type player who actually carried the team by himself at times. I believe he played every position on the court at one time or another. it really is about the size of the fight in the dog. i want to see what coach marlin can do with this kid. _
    He could also touch the top of the backboard. The dude had some serious hops!

13. Default Re: Chris Gradnigo Granted Transfer Release by UL

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ He could also touch the top of the backboard. The dude had some serious hops! _
    To bad the bad heart rumor (false) got started just before the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ To bad the bad heart rumor (false) got started just before the draft. _
    I know, I am pretty good friends with his wife, that is the reason he is still not in the NBA and playing in Israel for the last few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjL9Zi1mJUs

The Good old days

In this video are some of the best dunks i have ever seen! not just at UL i'm talking about ever. This was an athletic team!!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Thread Information