View Poll Results: The Ragin's Cajuns 2010 Regular Season Football Record will be??

Voters
132. This poll is closed
  • 12-0

1 0.76%
  • 11-1

0 0%
  • 10-2

1 0.76%
  • 9-3

0 0%
  • 8-4

13 9.85%
  • 7-5

48 36.36%
  • 6-6

32 24.24%
  • 5-7

28 21.21%
  • 4-8

9 6.82%
  • 3-9

0 0%
  • 2-10

0 0%
  • 1-11

0 0%
  • 0-12

0 0%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Predict the Record: Ragin' Cajuns Football 2010

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Predict the Record: Ragin' Cajuns Football 2010

Quote Originally Posted by don63 View Post
    _ I think it says a lot when most of here are hoping for a 7-5 record after the length of time Bustle has been here. I like Bustle. I really do, he has done a lot for the program. The university and the fans have been more than patient with him. Bustle begged himself another year and got it. I have already seen him complaining about the schedule. He is already making excuses for the coming L's we will all suffer through. What have other coaches done in 9 years. I was at the McNeese (uggghhh) and the FAU game as you most of you were. We as fans stepped up. The university is stepping up. It is time for him to step up. I mean we play in the Sun Belt, not the Big Ten or CUSA. _
    I can't say I disagree with you. but I have a different take on it. First, if we don't have a good year, we need to get another coach. Let's say, just for instance, we're already at the end of this season and it turns out 6-6. As far as I'm concerned. regardless of my personal disgust with the way many fans are simpletons and constantly think changing out a coach means you somehow elevate the program. there is an element of repetitious failure. that regardless of the fault. it is time to break the chain.

Being that this season has not come yet. I dislike the discussion (knowing full well that what I like or don't like does not matter). of. "fire the coach". My gut tells me that IF we have a 6-6 or less season. the pressure will finally be too great for our admin to dismiss. Things have changed. ever so slightly with an emerging RCAF. and the interest and expectations created. that we will not just linger on and on with a football program that cannot break through the necessary bowl barrier.

I blame many things for our mediocre football over the past many years. I do not think that WE (fans and the university) have done so much overwhelming things that even with a coach. much better than Bustle. we are going to conquer. The coach is not the only component. BUT. again. where I agree with you is that we have reached a point. not just "Bustle's been here x years and he hasn't conquered". but the fact that if we go 6-6 or less. it has been become a DISEASE that we HAVE to CURE.

Regardless. again. of what caused the disease. or who is or is not stepping up to cure it. We very well have to cut off the current treatment at the end of this season. and go with a "different" coach. if we end up at 6-6 or less.

Some people. and they are not wrong. believe that a lot to do with our inability to overcome this disease. is the schedule. My only problem with singling out the schedules we play is that everyone else in our boat has to play that level of schedule as well. for financial reasons. We are caught in a Catch 22. damned if we do. damned if we don't. My take on it is that we swing the schedule in alternating years to both grab a handful of money in one season (and maybe knock off a giant or two. or not) but in the following year give the program a much better shot at a good overall record.

I'm not "into" predicting season outcomes and quibbling over who we may or may not beat. I think we always "have a chance". because we play the game. When I look at what we usually accomplish and not. I don't get silly about believing something miraculous is going to happen. I think we are as solid as ever. Can we win 7 or more? Possibly. About the same "possibly" that I've supported for many years. I will be much more prepared when the final bell rings. this time. to not sit by. only bellyaching on this forum. to assist in an improved UL football future.

I've made a choice to "enjoy" Cajun football. I feed on the same hype everyone else does. But, I am tired of not having what others have in football success. and all that goes with it. I am tired of the panty-wasters that claim. and they are no more intellectually responsive than I am. that we are designated martyrs. and must live proudly without. BS I've lit fires in my life under the asses of underperformers and forever cancelled that title from their person. It can happen. and our administration has the ability to do it too. American Collegiate Football is a great way to announce you're no longer everyone's snot rag. The rest of your passions tend to start operating a whole lot easier once you do. So, it is a win-win. for both those who want a great football program. and those who want a great academic institution. They are not mutually exclusive as some would make us believe. But, when you can't lift 100 pounds. it is a sure thing. that eventually. you will promote that physical strength is not a virtue.

Sorry for writing so little. I was in a hurry.

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

This years schedule, with two SEC opponents and one Big 12 opponent, will be tough to say the least. I think it is fair to say that UL, in all likelihood, faces losses in these three games. My question is this. Was it a financial necessity that we schedule two SEC games this year? Having OSU play us at home is a great thing, even if we are underdogs, but putting the team in a position where it will be prohibitive underdogs in three of its twelve games is brutal. It will also probably be the reason we won't be bowl eligible again this year. Imagine if we had a home game against SLU, or some other FCS school, in place of either GA or MISS. Our chances of becoming bowl eligible would sure be better. I guess if we need the money, we need the money.

3. Default Re: Predict the Record: Ragin' Cajuns Football 2010

Where is 13-0 lol just kidding I'm picking 6-6

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    _ This years schedule, with two SEC opponents and one Big 12 opponent, will be tough to say the least. I think it is fair to say that UL, in all likelihood, faces losses in these three games. My question is this. Was it a financial necessity that we schedule two SEC games this year? Having OSU play us at home is a great thing, even if we are underdogs, but putting the team in a position where it will be prohibitive underdogs in three of its twelve games is brutal. It will also probably be the reason we won't be bowl eligible again this year. Imagine if we had a home game against SLU, or some other FCS school, in place of either GA or MISS. Our chances of becoming bowl eligible would sure be better. I guess if we need the money, we need the money. _

I think most of us here feel the same way about the money games. However, it is very normal for us to have at least two games against SEC or Big 12 opponents. Last years schedule was somewhat similar in that we had and SEC and two Big 12 teams on the schedule with one at home. Yes, we had the FCS school being SU which is probably more preferable than having Ohio on the road but they are not world beaters and we should have every opportunity to win that game.

In regards to this year, I think the OSU game was something we did because it offered us the ability to play a game of this magnitude at home while returning that trip later which is not often offered to a program like ourselves. Finances are always a part of the scheduling landscape of college athletics and we will never escape this hard fact. The bottom line is producing in conference and taking care of business where it counts. Troy has played similar schedules or even worse and still come out with 7-8 win seasons and bowl games.

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ I think most of us here feel the same way about the money games. However, it is very normal for us to have at least two games against SEC or Big 12 opponents. Last years schedule was somewhat similar in that we had and SEC and two Big 12 teams on the schedule with one at home. Yes, we had the FCS school being SU which is probably more preferable than having Ohio on the road but they are not world beaters and we should have every opportunity to win that game.

In regards to this year, I think the OSU game was something we did because it offered us the ability to play a game of this magnitude at home while returning that trip later which is not often offered to a program like ourselves. Finances are always a part of the scheduling landscape of college athletics and we will never escape this hard fact. The bottom line is producing in conference and taking care of business where it counts. Troy has played similar schedules or even worse and still come out with 7-8 win seasons and bowl games. _
    This is true. Take care of business in conference and we're bowling, no matter what our out-of-conference record looks like. I think the chances of us winning one of the two automatic bowl bids are about 30%, but you never know, maybe the breaks will all go our way this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    _ This is true. Take care of business in conference and we're bowling, no matter what our out-of-conference record looks like. I think the chances of us winning one of the two automatic bowl bids are about 30%, but you never know, maybe the breaks will all go our way this year. _

The Ohio game is HUGE and having OSU at home always allows itself for that hope of a miracle. However, 6-2 in this conference is not asking too much as long as we take care of those that we should beat. The key games in conference are everybody not named MTSU and Troy. While I think we can beat those two teams, I think that we are much more on par with the others in coference.

I'm usually the most pessimistic person on this board. I've been calling for Bustle's head for at least the last five years but I find it pathetic some of you are throwing in the towel before the first kickoff! You can crunch the numbers all you want but this is still a game of chance. This could be our year to get a bowl game and if it is not then at least afford yourself a little preseason optimism. If you don't know how to do it cruse the ULM board.

I don't think it's being pessimistic to pick Troy and MTSU to finish 1-2 in the conference. They are clearly the favorites. UL will be as good or better than the rest of the teams in the conference this year. I expect we'll finish 6-6 overall, 5-3 in conference. I think we beat Ohio but we lose to either ULM or Ark St. Not a disastrous season, just not the breakthrough kind of season we're waiting for. It will, however, be a season that we'll be able to build on and I look for a great recruiting year and that breakthrough will finally come in 2011.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    _ I'm usually the most pessimistic person on this board. I've been calling for Bustle's head for at least the last five years but I find it pathetic some of you are throwing in the towel before the first kickoff! You can crunch the numbers all you want but this is still a game of chance. This could be our year to get a bowl game and if it is not then at least afford yourself a little preseason optimism. If you don't know how to do it cruse the ULM board. _
    You crack me up RC90.

To those of you bemoaning our "tough" schedule

Since the inception of SBC football, no one in this conference has played fewer "money" games than we have.

Maybe 4 or 5 wins. Bustle does not care. Here is some thing to remember Hire Joe Deforest and dont look back.He is Asst Head Coach at Oklahoma State and a UL alum,plus he wants the head coaching job at UL trust me I PERSONALLY know. Enough with 6 and 6 seasons enough with Bustle,Fourquier, and all the other people who are happy with just gettin a check. It is time for a change, if you dont believe me maybe you will Oct 8th when OK St leaves Cajun Field 5 and 0 and UL walks up the tunnel 0 and 5 Tell Dr Walker dont wait to long or TULSA will beat him to the punch. Which when you consider UL atheletic department that would be par for the course CMONMAN if you snooze you lose. WAKE UP just for the record New Orleans Bowl pays $750,000.00 to each team if you do that 2 years in a row that would be 1.5 million to the Atheletic Dept. Please somebody help me it is not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ To those of you bemoaning our "tough" schedule

Since the inception of SBC football, no one in this conference has played fewer "money" games than we have. _
    And yet Bustle and his staff cannot win more than 6 games in a season. That tells me that not only cannot he not win the "money" games, he has trouble getting wins in the Sun Belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    _ And yet Bustle and his staff cannot win more than 6 games in a season. That tells me that not only cannot he not win the "money" games, he has trouble getting wins in the Sun Belt. _

He's won the third most games in the SBC over the past 5 years. I'm not saying that is bragging material but I'm also not saying that he's struggled in the SBC either. The main thing is that we've been unable to beat the teams we need to beat to get where we want to go. Those teams have been Troy and FAU in the past and recently MTSU. Until we can show that we can beat the cream of the SBC, we will always be around the 4-5 win mark in the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ He's won the third most games in the SBC over the past 5 years. I'm not saying that is bragging material but I'm also not saying that he's struggled in the SBC either. The main thing is that we've been unable to beat the teams we need to beat to get where we want to go. Those teams have been Troy and FAU in the past and recently MTSU. Until we can show that we can beat the cream of the SBC, we will always be around the 4-5 win mark in the belt. _

Even without beating the creme of the SBC, all Bustle had to do last year was beat a 2-9 FIU team for a 7th win and bowl game and he couldn't pull that off. We don't have win the conference to go to a bowl game, but we can't even do that. MTSU didn't win the conference last year, but look what the bowl game did for them. This year is bowl game or bust. After this season, it will be 9 years under Bustle. He had better find a way to win at least 7 this year. I want to see us win and go to a bowl game, but for long term success, it might do us well to have happen what occurred in basketball and bring in someone like Joe DeForest. I'm tired of reading articles about how little respect we are getting nationally. That really excites our fan base. We are still in the bottom 10% of all 1A programs and in the middle to bottom half of the worse conference in the country. NO MORE EXCUSES.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by cmonman View Post
    _ Maybe 4 or 5 wins. Bustle does not care. Here is some thing to remember Hire Joe Deforest and dont look back.He is Asst Head Coach at Oklahoma State and a UL alum,plus he wants the head coaching job at UL trust me I PERSONALLY know. Enough with 6 and 6 seasons enough with Bustle,Fourquier, and all the other people who are happy with just gettin a check. It is time for a change, if you dont believe me maybe you will Oct 8th when OK St leaves Cajun Field 5 and 0 and UL walks up the tunnel 0 and 5 Tell Dr Walker dont wait to long or TULSA will beat him to the punch. Which when you consider UL atheletic department that would be par for the course CMONMAN if you snooze you lose. WAKE UP just for the record New Orleans Bowl pays $750,000.00 to each team if you do that 2 years in a row that would be 1.5 million to the Atheletic Dept. Please somebody help me it is not that hard.
    I will try:

Any non-major bowl is breakeven at best for the teams that attend. I guess one could argue UL would stand to make some money at the NO bowl due to the close proximity, but still; any bowl UL goes to will most likely be breakeven or worse. Bowls are about increasing the stature of the program.

Also, your shameless pumping of a coaching candidate (who is obviously your close friend or relative) makes your opinion completely useless.

You may be right that Bustle isn't the man for the job. We will find out after this season is over. Of course I said that after last season.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information