Thread: Schexnayder has plan to secure Evans

1. UL Basketball Schexnayder has plan to secure Evans

Athletic director will focus on extending his deal after season.

LOUISIANA La. — University of Louisiana Athletic Director Nelson Schexnayder wants Jessie Evans to coach Ragin’ Cajun men’s basketball next year and beyond.

Other schools may want the same thing for their programs, depending on the Cajuns’ showing in the upcoming NCAA Tournament.

It’s a positive finish to a campaign that began with academic absences and a short-handed 34-point loss at Georgia Tech in the Preseason NIT.

While Evans is preparing his Sun Belt Conference champion Cajuns for the NCAA, Schexnayder is planning to open talks at the end of this season on extending Evans’ contract.

Evans obviously has good timing.

He originally signed a four-year contract in 1997, leaving an assistant’s position at Arizona, which was in a run to an NCAA championship. He then renewed for an additional three years at UL after taking the Cajuns to the NCAA in 2000.

“I would hope that, once the season is over, we can sit down and finalize something that Jessie and the university can agree to,” Schexnayder said. “We usually sign contracts for 3, 4 or 5 years, depending upon the coach and the situation.

“Obviously, the quicker we can get it done the better. That’s one more piece of uncertainty we’ll have behind us. Once the season is over, the coaches are into recruiting, and that will be important.”

Evans said that the process is already under way.

“We’ve already started,’’ Evans said. “We’ve had something on the tabel since January. I probably shouldn’t comment on anything right now. I want to wait until after the season.’’

Evans has a 132-80 record in seven years at the helm, including Sun Belt Conference championships in 2000 and 2004 and four 20-win seasons.

“Wins and losses are obviously part of it,” Schexnayder said. “We look at where we have been in conference competition. For example, women’s basketball has not done much before recently, so we would look at that much differently than (for) men’s basketball that’s had good success.

“Generally, we expect to compete for league honors on a fairly consistent basis.”

Evans has only had one losing season at UL, is 11-5 in Sun Belt Tournament competition and has been nearly unbeatable (75-15) at home in the Cajundome.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

2. Default

"it will be part of the new contract agreement"

Which shows it was not part of any old hiring agreement as many had contended. Now one might say it should go without saying and they would have a point. However unless the contract states who can be recruited and who can't be recruited, then these academic events are to be expected (from time to time) in the world of NCAA basketball. In all sports for that matter, coach Robe was saying on his Mr. Bitter interview this morning that the coach of South AL lost a stud to academics. It happens EVERYWHERE.

I know Jessie was turned down a year ago; my question is why hasn't he been signed yet? According to the article he has had a 2004 request on the table since January. This is a no brainer always has been.

I'm not saying give him a rollover contract like Marty had, but a renewal before expiration should have been a must do event.

UL Basketball Evans?

has Jessie been offered a deal on a new contract? I havent heard anything yet.
    :confused:

No, not yet. It all seems a bit odd to me.

5. Default

Time to kick the plan into overdrive.

6. USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998)

I say, if he doesn't want to be here, then let him go! There are and will be "greener" pastures down the road. A national search will be conducted for a new coach, very few will apply, and it will come down to one of the two candidates that most have been verbal about all along,...........Robert Lee & Rickey Broussard. It will be a tight race, but I think Broussard should prevail with the job. All of this is obviously just my opinion only.:o

TOO LATE!

8. Default BWAAAAAAAAAAAA

So much for the administration's "plans for securing Fessie". What a joke! Now, on to bigger and better things! Like getting players that are eligible and can stay eligible and not get into trouble with the law and actually show up at class!! Some WITH class too! BYE BYE FESSIE! It's off to the land of "fruits & nuts" for you!!!!!!!!!!!! See ya, wouldn't want ta be ya!!!!

P. S. Bring plenty of "rain coats"!! **(think about that one for a little while)**

Thread Information