Fresh Apple Cake

Today would have been my grandmother’s birthday, so I thought it would be the perfect day to bake a cake.

I followed all of the instructions on the recipe card. I peeled and chopped all of the apples by hand, and shredded them up in the food processor (best invention in the history of time). If I would make this cake again, I would just use apple sauce. After the apples were in the food processor, they looked like apple sauce anyway. May as well cut out some of the work.

Also, I have decided that I will not bake any more cakes until I have a new oven. The recipe said that I should cook the cake at 250 degrees for an hour and a half. There’s no way I can find 250 degrees on my oven because of the broken knob. I decided to just watch the cake. When it looked ready, I took it out of the oven. I have baked many things before, so I knew to use the toothpick test to see if the cake was ready. I stuck a toothpick into the cake, and it came out clean. I assumed that it was ready. It passed the test. I waited for it to cool, then I dumped it out onto the cake plate. It was definitely not cooked. The top layer was burnt, but the insides were mush. The entire cake collapsed. I cried. I cursed the oven gods for doing this to me. Then I scooped it all back up and put it back into the cake pan. I put it back into the oven and let it cook for a while longer. I took it out again, and it was still_undercooked on the inside. The top layer was burnt to a crisp, though. I scraped off the entire top layer with a knife (it was a thick layer, too), and put the cake back into the oven. After a while, I took it out again and decided that it was done, even if it wouldn’t be done. It was after 10:00pm and I didn’t want to be awake all night. After it cooled, I flipped it onto the cake plate. It was finally cooked. The only problem is that part of the cake came off when I was scraping the burnt layer off. You can see in the picture that the cake isn’t perfectly round. I put the icing on it and tried it. Very tasty. I think I’ll bring it to work tomorrow._

On a side note, I did not use any nuts in my recipe. Just a personal preference. I don’t want to eat a crunchy cake.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GRANDMA!

—-

Batter:

1_1/4 cup oil, 2 cups sugar, 3 eggs, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 3 cups flour, 3 cups peeled and chopped apples, 1 cup chopped nuts, 2 tsp vanilla.

Blend oil & sugar well. Sift dry ingredients & add to oil & sugar mixture. Beat eggs slightly & add to batter. Add vanilla. Fold in apples & nuts. Grease & flour large tube or bundt pan. Bake at 250 degrees for 1_1/2 hours. Cool and add topping.

Topping:

1 cup brown sugar, 1 stick of butter, 1/4 cup evaporated milk, 1 tsp vanilla.

Cook above ingredients to full boil. Beat and cool. Spread onto apple cake.

The rest of the recipe.